• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers' off-season; Cap Space $8,346,186.00

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't remember who mentioned him before but I agree that we should take a look at Desmond Bryant. He is 24, huge, and balled when he got to start. PFF has him the highest rated interior dline free agent at +16.5, just above Melton.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers signed DT Lamar Divens, OT Kenny Wiggins and LB Nathan Stupar to reserve/future contracts.
A sixth-year undrafted free agent, Divens hasn't appeared in an NFL game since 2010. Stupar was a seventh-round pick of the Raiders last season, but didn't make it past final cuts.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers' top free-agent priority? Dashon Goldson | CSN Bay Area

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers signed WR Ricardo Lockette to a reserve/future contract today.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Manningham to be limited in camp: Comcast Sports Net reports that 49ers receiver Mario Manningham, who suffered a torn ACL and PCL in Week 16, is scheduled to make $3.95 million on the second year of his two-year contract in 2013. He underwent knee surgery and is not expected to be ready until the latter stages of training camp. When he's healthy, he figures to be back as a major contributor.
(Updated 2/8/13)
Injury Report
Knee - Questionable for start of training camp
(Updated - 2/8/13)

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just some free agents news

Anquan Boldin told NBC's Erik Kuselias that he intends to retire if the Ravens release him this offseason.
"They will be his last team," passes along Kuselias. The Baltimore Sun reported late this week that the cap-strapped Ravens would prefer to sign Boldin to a contract extension, reducing his salary cap number. Currently, Boldin is owed a non-guaranteed salary of $6 million. Set to commit upwards of $20 million to Joe Flacco, GM Ozzie Newsome will have to get creative to keep Boldin.

According to the Miami Herald, the Dolphins have yet to make free agent Reggie Bush an offer.
There's still over a month to go before the start of free agency, but it's a poor sign for Bush's Dolphins future. The local consensus has been that Bush will be offered a "team-friendly" deal, but allowed to reach the open market. CBS' Jason La Canfora has reported Bush is "highly unlikely" to be back. The way things are trending, Bush's "team-friendly" offer may never even materialize.

Jermichael Finley puts his chances of remaining in Green Bay at "50/50."
"I would love to stay there," he said. "There's no doubt that I want to be there for life. But it's a business and the business will tell you otherwise." CBS' Jason La Canfora has reported Finley is not expected back, but a league source tells the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel it's a "coin flip." The Green Bay Press-Gazette postulated in January that Finley would "almost certainly" be back. Finley is owed a $3.5 million roster bonus in March, so his future will become crystal clear in a matter of weeks.

The Bills have declined to tender WR Donald Jones, making him an unrestricted free agent.
The Bills were reportedly working on an extension with Jones as recently as Thursday morning, but talks obviously didn't go anywhere. Jones was a restricted free agent, meaning the Bills could have tendered him a one-year qualifying offer, and had the right to match any offer in free agency. In their parting statement, the Bills also announced the illness that landed Jones on the non-football/illness list in December was a "medical condition that he’s had since college." Jones is still only 25 and caught a career-high 41 passes in 12 games last season, but his injury history could limit his market in a crowded year for receivers.

Giants DE Osi Umenyiora's contract will officially void on Thursday, making him an unrestricted free agent.
He is not expected back with the Giants, who are making a concerted effort to get younger and cheaper. Umenyiora's departure isn't going on the books as a release, so he can't sign a contract until the start of the new league year on March 12. Umenyiora is far from the force he once was, but will certainly be looking for a multi-year deal. We expect him to get one.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should take a shot if this is true:

Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald suggests that the Dolphins might place RE Jared Odrick on the trade block.
Odrick was drafted to play "five technique" in a 3-4 defense. The Dolphins are a 4-3 now, and Odrick lacks explosive ability requisite for 4-3 defensive ends. "He's not a fit for the scheme," Salguero writes. Odrick has cheap base salaries through 2014, is only 25 years old, and possesses an ideal skill set for the 3-4. He could likely bring back a second-day draft pick via trade.
Source: Miami Herald Feb 8 - 6:49 PM

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should take a shot if this is true:

Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald suggests that the Dolphins might place RE Jared Odrick on the trade block.
Odrick was drafted to play "five technique" in a 3-4 defense. The Dolphins are a 4-3 now, and Odrick lacks explosive ability requisite for 4-3 defensive ends. "He's not a fit for the scheme," Salguero writes. Odrick has cheap base salaries through 2014, is only 25 years old, and possesses an ideal skill set for the 3-4. He could likely bring back a second-day draft pick via trade.
Source: Miami Herald Feb 8 - 6:49 PM

I like this alot and the value is there... this guy is like a poor mans Justin Smith. In the 9er system he would thrive!

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manningham to be limited in camp: Comcast Sports Net reports that 49ers receiver Mario Manningham, who suffered a torn ACL and PCL in Week 16, is scheduled to make $3.95 million on the second year of his two-year contract in 2013. He underwent knee surgery and is not expected to be ready until the latter stages of training camp. When he's healthy, he figures to be back as a major contributor.
(Updated 2/8/13)
Injury Report
Knee - Questionable for start of training camp
(Updated - 2/8/13)

That sucks, I really feel like Crabtree, Davis, and Manningham could have been electric with Kaepernick next year.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a 3rd though? I'd drop a 4th in a nanosecond.

We have two third round picks right now with another one expected from the league. I'd give up one for a known player like Odrick without thought. He'd be perfect for us.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have two third round picks right now with another one expected from the league. I'd give up one for a known player like Odrick without thought. He'd be perfect for us.

That does make it more tempting, if we end up with 3 3rds...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

Low base salaries for the next 2 seasons huh? Interesting. Me likey! That would nullify the need (well, the want. As in I want) to sign Richard Seymour, who will probably command a huge salary (probably close to 10 million per season). I'd still want to draft a 3-4 End prospect to be the heir apparent to Justin Smith; the Niners need to have a guy who can collapse the pocket at RDE to keep the defense as dominant as it is.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
a third for Odrick? If this was out there, and they didn't do it, i would be upset. But hey there is a reason I type on the computer. But like sickness said, I still want Sheldon Richardson in the draft at DE and I want Desmond Bryant in FA.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
We need to learn from the Giants of a few years ago. The Niners can't have too many guys who can collapse the pocket. Load up on the DEs & OLBs. Keep the pass-rush strong.

I believe the 49ers can win at least one SB in the next couple few years if they remember 2 things:

1. This is a run-first team. No matter how good Kaepernick looks for certain stretches, they must not get fooled into thinking he's Steve Young. The thing that makes this offense go is the OL. Keep the OL dominant. This team is not the Niners of the '90's; it's the Cowboys of the '90's. If they don't forget that, they'll do fine IMO.

2. Keep the pass-rush strong. I'd rather have a great pass-rush and mediocre DBs than the other way around. This is a no-brainer, but sometimes people want the team to do something like sign Nnamdi Asomugha. If the Niners need to look at a 3rd DE like a starter just like they look at a 3rd CB like a starter. And a situational pass-rushing OLB to give Brooks & Aldon a rest every once in a while would be a great thing.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
From Clayton's mailbag:

Q: With a new coaching regime in Cleveland, many speculate that Brandon Weeden may not be the starting quarterback. Would it be reasonable for the Browns to trade backup Colt McCoy and a late-round pick for someone such as Alex Smith? This would provide San Francisco a backup quarterback with starting experience and a much lower salary.

James in Bowling Green, Ohio

A: The McCoy part doesn't work. Niners coach Jim Harbaugh will find his own backup, so that part of the trade won't happen. The answer is yes to the Smith part. I don't agree the current ownership needs to go on the hunt for a new quarterback, but if it does, a Smith trade makes sense. New Browns offensive coordinator Norv Turner did a good job with Smith the one year they worked together in San Francisco. If the Browns are really looking for a quarterback, offering San Francisco a midround choice wouldn't be unreasonable.

Honestly, the only reason I post that is because of the poster's suggestion that the Browns trade McCoy and a late-round pick for Smith. I thought that was good for a laugh. Hell, I'd rather just give them Smith to let us save the $1 million and get nothing in return.