• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2nd Round: Toronto Raptors vs Philadelphia Sixers

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't know what to make of Philly.

-How healthy is Embiid?
-What version of Ben Simmons is going to show up against the Raptors D?
-Will Mike Scott be able to play? If not, how does Philly replace his veteran contribution?
-Can Philly play a bit of defense against Toronto?

Philly has the talent to win the East. But Toronto is damn good. Philly going to need to hit on all cylinders to win this series.

I am going Toronto in 7, but it will be a short series if Philly answers most of my questions negatively.

Four4Four

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LAD

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Four4Four

Gasol played against Philly twice this year, both times with the Grizzlies. While it is a very small sample size, here's what Embiid did against him as Gasol being primary defender.

14 pts on 4-15 Shooting. Gasol played 41 minutes.
15 pts on 4-13 Shooting. Gasol played 34 minutes.

I'm not saying Gasol is still Defensive Player of the Year level, but just indicating he's still no slouch and an upgrade defensively over Valanciunus. Embiid typically dominates against smaller centers, and Gasol is one of the only guys in the league that Embiid doesn't have the advantage in either height or weight. Gasol presents as big of a defensive challenge to Embiid as any guy in the league.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Four4Four

I brought it up because I was trying to indicate to another poster which Gasol we were talking about. Marc is a notable defender and Pau is the notable offensive player. No one's going to confuse Pau with former DPOY, lol.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the main reasons the Raps got Gasol was for this matchup. His defense is still top notch and as a unit it can shut down anyone.

Four4Four

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sixers in 7 is my pick

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't know what to make of Philly.

-How healthy is Embiid?
-What version of Ben Simmons is going to show up against the Raptors D?
-Will Mike Scott be able to play? If not, how does Philly replace his veteran contribution?
-Can Philly play a bit of defense against Toronto?

Philly has the talent to win the East. But Toronto is damn good. Philly going to need to hit on all cylinders to win this series.

I am going Toronto in 7, but it will be a short series if Philly answers most of my questions negatively.

2nd round matchups in the east are fire...Can't wait!

Boston/Mil is the one i am looking forward to

MizzouFalcon

Let’s Fuck Some Shit Up is my legal middle name
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m torn on who I want to win this series. I don’t have a favorite team so I just root for players I like to succeed.

Kawhi Leonard and Jimmy Butler are two of my favorites.

MizzouFalcon

Let’s Fuck Some Shit Up is my legal middle name
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first instinct says Toronto in 5 or 6.

Simmons will end up with the Westbrook media treatment for struggling throughout.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raptors are 2-14 in Game 1. Home court will be big here

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raptors in 6. Then look for Sixers to trade Simmons in the off-season and embid goes under the knife

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will see. Simmons is a 3 that clogs the middle. Embid needs a top level PG that can shoot

Darth Dawkins

kffl trev
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Philly wins game 1 I say Raps in 6.
If Toronto wins game 1, Raps in 5.
Toronto is firing on all cylinders and about as healthy as they could be right now.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Four4Four

Gasol played against Philly twice this year, both times with the Grizzlies. While it is a very small sample size, here's what Embiid did against him as Gasol being primary defender.

14 pts on 4-15 Shooting. Gasol played 41 minutes.
15 pts on 4-13 Shooting. Gasol played 34 minutes.

I'm not saying Gasol is still Defensive Player of the Year level, but just indicating he's still no slouch and an upgrade defensively over Valanciunus. Embiid typically dominates against smaller centers, and Gasol is one of the only guys in the league that Embiid doesn't have the advantage in either height or weight. Gasol presents as big of a defensive challenge to Embiid as any guy in the league.

Gasol is a good player and will give Embiid problems. I'm not sure that I would put too much stock in those Memphis games though. The Sixers are a very different team today than they were back then.

To me, a lot boils down to what sort of performance we can expect from Simmons, Embiid and Siakim. They are all young guys that are vital to their teams.

IF the following happens, then I think the Sixers win the series.

Simmons play defense like he did against the Nets. He was absolutely relentless and made Russell's life miserable once he was locked on him.
Redick/Harris shoot at their averages. They are the Sixers volume shooters so if they are missing, it makes it tough for the rest of the team.
Embiid continues to show the vision he did in the Nets series. Embiid had some wonderful passes to cutters in the paint. If he continues to do that, he is basically unguardable.
Bench doesn't get absolutely embarrassed.

If those 4 things happens then the Sixers will win the series. If they don't then the Sixers will lose.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gasol is a good player and will give Embiid problems. I'm not sure that I would put too much stock in those Memphis games though. The Sixers are a very different team today than they were back then.

To me, a lot boils down to what sort of performance we can expect from Simmons, Embiid and Siakim. They are all young guys that are vital to their teams.

IF the following happens, then I think the Sixers win the series.

Simmons play defense like he did against the Nets. He was absolutely relentless and made Russell's life miserable once he was locked on him.
Redick/Harris shoot at their averages. They are the Sixers volume shooters so if they are missing, it makes it tough for the rest of the team.
Embiid continues to show the vision he did in the Nets series. Embiid had some wonderful passes to cutters in the paint. If he continues to do that, he is basically unguardable.
Bench doesn't get absolutely embarrassed.

If those 4 things happens then the Sixers will win the series. If they don't then the Sixers will lose.

No doubt. There are lots of variables in this series which makes it really fascinating. I wouldn't argue with anyone picking either team in this series to win. I think that's how close it'll end up being.

Top to bottom the 76ers, IMO, have the more talented roster. The Raptors though have an identity and each player fits their roles perfectly. It'll just come down to which team executes better.