• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Offseason thread

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We resigned the kicker that DC didnt have enough faith in to make a 46 fg.
Not thrilled about it, but I will wait to see if anything else happens, especially from the draft. If we go into the season with him as our kicker, I will be pissed.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not thrilled about it, but I will wait to see if anything else happens, especially from the draft. If we go into the season with him as our kicker, I will be pissed.
Unless the contract is fully guaranteed, management has their known quantity in place while looking for a better kicker. It seems that a lot of teams are struggling to find that next great kicker; better to hold onto a good one than risk someone else’s cast off.

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless the contract is fully guaranteed, management has their known quantity in place while looking for a better kicker. It seems that a lot of teams are struggling to find that next great kicker; better to hold onto a good one than risk someone else’s cast off.

Sure, if we had a good one that they had confidence in. The Lions don't.

StuUKWI

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions have their first top 30 visit of the offseason. Qwan'tez Stiggers. Never played a snap in college, won Best rookie in the CFL. Apparently he did real well at the Shrine Bowl.
Might not have played a snap in college but he has a great name!

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
free agency in a week. That will make it easier to figure out a draft path once we know what holes are filled. Hopefully we sign a CB and/or DE. I would love to just be drafting lineman this year (and a kicker). Draft if deep there. The best part is there is no 1 or 2 guys that much better than the rest so we dont have to use early picks on them either.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
free agency in a week. That will make it easier to figure out a draft path once we know what holes are filled. Hopefully we sign a CB and/or DE. I would love to just be drafting lineman this year (and a kicker). Draft if deep there. The best part is there is no 1 or 2 guys that much better than the rest so we dont have to use early picks on them either.
Unless something changes quick, we need 2 new starting linemen, and a first backup at all 3 IOL spots. Plus possibly time to start looking for Ragnows replacement, if he's already brought up retirement. I dont know that you want to be drafting 3 guys at the same position and counting on all of them. So hopefully either bring back one of our guys, or bring in at least one starting caliber OG. Plus much easier to find an interior o line guy in FA than an impact position.

I like Huff a bit at DE. But between Canada guy and getting Houston back, I think it's more of a swing for the fences or scrape the bottom of the barrel for depth.

CB remains a priority in FA and the draft.

I still haven't seen any signs that we can rely on Jamison Williams, sure he'll make a splash play here and there, but we need a guy you can rely on to catch the ball. I have seen what happens if we rely on Josh Reynolds. So WR remains a FA possibility.

Also a blocking type TE remains possibility. Yes that pass to Decker should have worked, but that trick play was set up by the number of times Dan Skipper reported as a tight end, because we didn't have anyone who could block. Yes, Skipper is probably a better blocker than any TE, but it was a trick play because the defense didn't use any defenders to even respect the poss8bility of the pass.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB Emmanuel Moseley is re-signed to a 1-year contract.

I'd much rather have an injured Moseley than a healthy Jerry Jacobs or Will Harris.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand why some are fascinated with Bryce Huff. He's never played 500 or more snaps in a single season, he's a liability as a run defender and every bit as much a liability in coverage. He's not an DE either as he'd play the SAM LB position mostly here.

James Houston lV is pretty much Bryce Huff without the 4 years of experience and Huff's stats.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather have Jadeveon Clowney who has been working on 5 straight years of 1-year contracts. He could play SAM LB, closed end or open end whereas neither Huff nor Houston is truly a viable option. Both Huff nd Houston pretty much need to be aligned outside the OT and play a 7 or 9 tech.

Clowney has never lived up to his No.1 overall draft slot as a pass rusher, but he surely is a better option as a run defender. Clowney has a total of 53 sacks in his career to date and his last two contracts were low cap hits.

I have no clue if he's a culture or locker room fit.

Clowney's last 3 years in contracts and cap hits. 4m, 7.7m and 9.7m

Sign him to his customary 1-year contract and hope Holmes can draft an Edge player who can develop over the next year.

This class of Edge Rushers is weak once you get past the top 3 and most are more suited to play in a 3-4 base OLB/Edge or in the Lions case it'll be the SAM LB position if drafted by Detroit.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand why some are fascinated with Bryce Huff. He's never played 500 or more snaps in a single season, he's a liability as a run defender and every bit as much a liability in coverage. He's not an DE either as he'd play the SAM LB position mostly here.

James Houston lV is pretty much Bryce Huff without the 4 years of experience and Huff's stats.
Because he's got a huge pass rush win rate. It's that simple.

The Lions started last year atrocious at rushing the passer. They were mostly rushing 4 and dropping 7. The coverage was actually pretty decent, but with almost no pressure outside of Hutchinson there was just too much time to find annopen receiver. So they started blitzing and zone blitzing and rolling coverages and played all sorts of fancy games and were able to manufacture pressure. But it came at the cost of their coverage, leaving guys open, or in man or zone with no help against top tier athletes. We picked our poison and it improved our chances of winning.

But you could see this team was just a couple pieces away from being very good. One more guy who can just win his pass rush, and they can go back to the good coverage, without giving all day to throw. I don't care about a liability in coverage, or weak in the run game. Get to the QB.

As far as Clowney, he doesn't bring anything that we couldn't already have from Harris or Okwara, except maybe the name.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB Emmanuel Moseley is re-signed to a 1-year contract.

I'd much rather have an injured Moseley than a healthy Jerry Jacobs or Will Harris.
It should be a very small contract. He is more of a player/coach now. We will have to see if he can actually still move now with 2 repaired knees.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather have Jadeveon Clowney who has been working on 5 straight years of 1-year contracts. He could play SAM LB, closed end or open end whereas neither Huff nor Houston is truly a viable option. Both Huff nd Houston pretty much need to be aligned outside the OT and play a 7 or 9 tech.

Clowney has never lived up to his No.1 overall draft slot as a pass rusher, but he surely is a better option as a run defender. Clowney has a total of 53 sacks in his career to date and his last two contracts were low cap hits.

I have no clue if he's a culture or locker room fit.

Clowney's last 3 years in contracts and cap hits. 4m, 7.7m and 9.7m

Sign him to his customary 1-year contract and hope Holmes can draft an Edge player who can develop over the next year.

This class of Edge Rushers is weak once you get past the top 3 and most are more suited to play in a 3-4 base OLB/Edge or in the Lions case it'll be the SAM LB position if drafted by Detroit.

Because he's got a huge pass rush win rate. It's that simple.

The Lions started last year atrocious at rushing the passer. They were mostly rushing 4 and dropping 7. The coverage was actually pretty decent, but with almost no pressure outside of Hutchinson there was just too much time to find annopen receiver. So they started blitzing and zone blitzing and rolling coverages and played all sorts of fancy games and were able to manufacture pressure. But it came at the cost of their coverage, leaving guys open, or in man or zone with no help against top tier athletes. We picked our poison and it improved our chances of winning.

But you could see this team was just a couple pieces away from being very good. One more guy who can just win his pass rush, and they can go back to the good coverage, without giving all day to throw. I don't care about a liability in coverage, or weak in the run game. Get to the QB.

As far as Clowney, he doesn't bring anything that we couldn't already have from Harris or Okwara, except maybe the name.

How about neither. Kalil Mack is available. Hasaan Reddick is available. Both much better fits. Mack is probably the best value in FA IMO.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care about a liability in coverage, or weak in the run game. Get to the QB.

Maybe not at this moment, but if Huff is signed, I think you'll change your thought process.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about neither. Kalil Mack is available. Hasaan Reddick is available. Both much better fits. Mack is probably the best value in FA IMO.

I haven't seen either having been released at this time.
Charger's having to dump salaries in some manner, so I would think he'd surely be one of the players.

There's also some clause regarding a vet being released and a waiting period for that base salary to expire. Maybe it's a couple of days or up to a week. I could have this confused though.

That 2024 base salary is above 17M

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I surely won't be surprised to read that Will Harris gets re-signed. Campbell and Glenn love that player.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that former Titans D-Line coach Terrell Williams is with us, I won't be surprised if Holmes signs Denico Autry as a 1-year fill in for depth along the D-line.

Just guessing here.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll trust Holmes and company with whatever decisions they make. They're the professionals at all of this.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GIF glastonbury dizzee rascal - animated GIF on GIFER

via GIPHY | Surfing waves, Big surf, Whatsoever things are lovely

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably nothing more than a drive-by

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before you mention Chase Young, you might want to view his effort on this play. It had been reported that his effort was like the following throughout his career at Washington.

He's No.92