• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Offseason thread

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also projected a 4-year 11M per AAV for Jerry Jacobs. Take this as you may.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One thing that keeps coming up when discussing the Lions and pass rushers: they value positional versatility more than they value speed off the edge, or the ability to only rush the passer. That’s from feedback from college coaches, agents, national draft media and even recent press conferences from Aaron Glenn and Dan Campbell. It’s validated in the current roster, with guys like Aidan Hutchinson, Alim McNeill, Josh Paschal, John Cominsky and Levi Onwuzurike. Believe what they’re telling you, both implicitly and explicitly…

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why is re-signing players more important to Holmes than spending in free agency?

Familiarity.

The thing about drafting and developing a player over the course of many years is it allows a general manager like Holmes to not only have a great idea of the skillset of the player but also what the player brings to the locker room and the culture.

It's part of the reason why Holmes has been very selective and strategic in free agency and hasn't just hunted the top talent.

"You don't really know these players," Holmes said of the free-agent market. "You see what you see on film but like I've told all of you that's the easy coherent part. Can a guy come off the football? Ok. That's easy. But you don't really know them, know them and that's why you have to be real careful."

When a team drafts and knows their own players, they feel a lot more comfortable giving them a big deal in their second contract.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Lions haven’t been the type of team that has chased the biggest fish in free agency. Holmes continually warns that the object of the offseason isn’t to acquire the “big names” and win headlines in March. And when asked directly whether the Lions would pursue some of the biggest players available in free agency, he repeated this mantra of selectiveness.

“It’s going to be the same approach that we’ve always had because I think I said it in that (past) press conference. It’s easy to win headline, it’s easy to win March. That’s easy to win, but, man, we’re trying to win December,” Holmes said. “Those are two different perspectives, and that’s how you’ve got to plan and I think that’s how you’ve got to approach it.”

“We’ll adjust to different circumstances when we need to, but the overall approach, that’s not changing,” Holmes said. “I’m not a big believer in—when you really look deeply into the one player away (mindset), when you look into that narrative, ‘Oh, they’re just one guy away,’ that’s really not realistic. Because what you’re saying is that one player—you might sign that one player in March and that one player looks good in black and white on a depth chart in March and April and all through the summer. What if that one player is not available in October and November and December?”

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also projected a 4-year 11M per AAV for Jerry Jacobs. Take this as you may.

Jacobs is gone already. Unless noone else wants him so it is hard to take those guys seriously.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lucas gone for now. Z Knight is back. I love that signing. Really cheap insurance policy and gave us some quality carries last year. Dude is worth way more than what he is gonna get paid which is near the league minimum.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't love the Davenport signing. I don't love that.

3rd round pick for Carlton Davis and 2 6th round picks I do love.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, signing.
If AG goes back to 45% man - press or off-man - then Davis is useful. Other than that, he's barely an upgrade over Sutton and the latter is nothing more than a CB3/CB4 in reality. Fans keep wanting to believe that if you upgrade a pass rush it automatically makes a mid-level CB better. No, no it does not. You have to be a better than average CB in order for that to occur. imo.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, signing.
If AG goes back to 45% man - press or off-man - then Davis is useful. Other than that, he's barely an upgrade over Sutton and the latter is nothing more than a CB3/CB4 in reality. Fans keep wanting to believe that if you upgrade a pass rush it automatically makes a mid-level CB better. No, no it does not. You have to be a better than average CB in order for that to occur. imo.

I think this is a little harsh on Sutton and Davis. I think both are low-end #2 corners, and davis has shown he can play up to low-end #1. They need to add a top-end corner still, but in no scenario on the planet is this not a massive upgrade over Jacobs/Vildor/name your udfa. I imagine a trade for Sneed is not off the table, but signing Kendall Fuller gets the Lions 3 starting quality CB's, plus elite Branch in the slot, and in my lifetime they never had more than 1.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is a little harsh on Sutton and Davis.

I'll retract my statement
Meh, signing.

Instead, I'll write what should have been noted as meh trade. They're completely different. Holmes trading for Carlton Davis has absolutely no bearing on acquiring possible 2025 compensatory for the loss of Jonah Jackson and signing Davenport as an UFA has minimal relevance towards that either other than downgrading a round at this time.

I think both are low-end #2 corners

Exactly my point even though my subjective viewpoint remains the same regarding Sutton as a CB3/CB4 type. Semantics from my lenses. Sutton is more aligned with being a replacement CB for an injured quality starting outside CB. That's primarily exactly what Sutton was his first 4-years in the league until assuming a starters role by default.

Pros trading for Davis is that hypothetically speaking Holmes used pick No.92 on a CB that player would have an adjustment period whereas the veteran Davis has the experience if all goes well and there's no proof at this time it will, but we'll soon see in another 6-9 months.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I imagine a trade for Sneed is not off the table

Personally, I cannot see this coming to fruition. Holmes now has 26+M tied up in cap space for two hopeful starting outside CB. If Holmes did acquire Snead, it would automatically push one of Sutton or newly acquired Davis to the bench. That is highly unlikely to occur.

signing Kendall Fuller gets the Lions 3 starting quality CB's

Once again, I believe the same goes for possibly signing Fuller. I believe that if mutual interest existed between Lions-Fuller - Fuller/Lions then the trade for Davis doesn't happen.

There's no telling if Holmes, DC and AG had any real interest in acquiring either Snead or Fuller other than media sports pundits attempting to connect the dots. The players agents could put that info out to the media and the latter runs with it. Disinformation and misinformation exist throughout the public.

Last edited:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm relatively certain that through the first 11-12 games played in 2023 that AG used man coverage only 26% of the time. I no longer have that proof to back up my statement. I believe it was from SIS.

Davis will thrive in man as will Sutton if given the opportunity, however neither is suitable for the cover 3 and yet many occasions cover 2, cover 2 man under 5 principles that I witnessed throughout those first 11-12 games.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I cannot see this coming to fruition. Holmes now has 26+M tied up in cap space for two hopeful starting outside CB. If Holmes did acquire Snead, it would automatically push one of Sutton or newly acquired Davis to the bench. That is highly unlikely to occur.

Once again, I believe the same goes for possibly signing Fuller. I believe that if mutual interest existed between Lions-Fuller - Fuller/Lions then the trade for Davis doesn't happen.

There's no telling if Holmes, DC and AG had any real interest in acquiring either Snead or Fuller other than media sports pundits attempting to connect the dots. The players agents could put that info out to the media and the latter runs with it. Disinformation and misinformation exist throughout the public.
The sneed comment was a typo for me, I think it is off the table. I absolutely agree with you that a 3rd is a little steep for a corner in the last year of his contract coming off a down year. I don't love the trade from a value standpoint, but I do like that as of today our secondary is better than it was last year. If no other players are brought in I hope for an early pick that can learn for a year. Not the dream fix scenario, but I like that our biggest weakness is now not as weak.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm relatively certain that through the first 11-12 games played in 2023 that AG used man coverage only 26% of the time. I no longer have that proof to back up my statement. I believe it was from SIS.

Davis will thrive in man as will Sutton if given the opportunity, however neither is suitable for the cover 3 and yet many occasions cover 2, cover 2 man under 5 principles that I witnessed throughout those first 11-12 games.
I think if Glenn keeps calling like he did at end of season then we see more man to man. his play calling changed dramatically once iffy was a regular starter and the team was better for it.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sutton got exposed last year because he played number 1. He will shut down most number 2s but he will struggle against guys like Jefferson and Evans. Davis makes us better for sure. Now if Mosely can still run then we might be OK.