• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Offseason thread

elguapo

I cannot think of anything clever to put here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goff and Sun God will need new deals. I dont think we will have that type of cap room

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasnt that last years cap? I thought it was going up this year to 245+. Also we are more like 190m right now so we will have 50 mil in cap space. We could probably get 2 of those guys with some finagling.
Rumor is St. Brown is near a contract that will be around 25 a year. That will eat a lot of the cap space, they are still in good shape however. Love the idea of Huff and Sneed if he is not franchised.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasnt that last years cap? I thought it was going up this year to 245+. Also we are more like 190m right now so we will have 50 mil in cap space. We could probably get 2 of those guys with some finagling.
Decker, St. Brown, Goff, and probably Sewell could all be extended this off season. Depending on how they structure things they could possibly manage to get 2 big names in FA. But everyone named is gonna be 20+ million a year, and Goff double that. You don't wanna get yourself in a situation where everyone gets to the expensive parts of their contract, and the Hutchinson comes due. Plus you're competing with 31 other franchises to even get them in the building

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Decker, St. Brown, Goff, and probably Sewell could all be extended this off season. Depending on how they structure things they could possibly manage to get 2 big names in FA. But everyone named is gonna be 20+ million a year, and Goff double that. You don't wanna get yourself in a situation where everyone gets to the expensive parts of their contract, and the Hutchinson comes due. Plus you're competing with 31 other franchises to even get them in the building
Extending Goff and Decker are likely to lower the cap number for this year. In Goffs case by a lot, especially if they add a voided year. Post June 1st cur of Walker clears another 8 million.

Now future years.....that is a future problem.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Future could be a problem but cap will also go up 5 - 10 mil a year and we will restructure Goff big time.

Extending Goff and Decker are likely to lower the cap number for this year. In Goffs case by a lot, especially if they add a voided year. Post June 1st cur of Walker clears another 8 million.

Now future years.....that is a future problem.
Thats what I was thinking. Also, TW3 probably not a starter next year even if CJGJ is not resigned. No reason to keep that lofty salary.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Future could be a problem but cap will also go up 5 - 10 mil a year and we will restructure Goff big time.

Thats what I was thinking. Also, TW3 probably not a starter next year even if CJGJ is not resigned. No reason to keep that lofty salary.
Yes, but if you resign one guy at 40+/yr and 3 other guys at/around 20-25/yr. Then sign 2 FA's also at or around 20/yr it's do-able. But if you start signing everyone to big yearly contracts, but backload them all. You start creating problems for yourself. If you try to backload 6 big contracts in the same season, then 2-3 years down the line you get into actual cap hell.

I think we can easy sign one big name FA if Holmes & Campbell find one that fits the culture here. 2 we could probably manage, but know there would be trade offs. Maybe we'd have to let Decker or Sewell play out their contract and hope to resign or have to franchise them next year? Something to stagger the contracts. Or sign guys to either a longer or shorter contract than we wanted.

I just am trying to temper my expectations. I don't think the way they've approached building this team makes it look like they would go all in on win now mode. Although I think everyone mentioned besidesxChris Jones is young enough that they're not necessarily win now type guys. So what do I know.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but if you resign one guy at 40+/yr and 3 other guys at/around 20-25/yr. Then sign 2 FA's also at or around 20/yr it's do-able. But if you start signing everyone to big yearly contracts, but backload them all. You start creating problems for yourself. If you try to backload 6 big contracts in the same season, then 2-3 years down the line you get into actual cap hell.

I think we can easy sign one big name FA if Holmes & Campbell find one that fits the culture here. 2 we could probably manage, but know there would be trade offs. Maybe we'd have to let Decker or Sewell play out their contract and hope to resign or have to franchise them next year? Something to stagger the contracts. Or sign guys to either a longer or shorter contract than we wanted.

I just am trying to temper my expectations. I don't think the way they've approached building this team makes it look like they would go all in on win now mode. Although I think everyone mentioned besidesxChris Jones is young enough that they're not necessarily win now type guys. So what do I know.
Agreed. We build through the draft so I dont see us going hog wild on big FAs. They are good at it too so I am not going to be concerned even if we dont sign any.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TW3 is gone as expected. Official announcement upcoming still but he has already said his goodbyes. I was certainly a fan and appreciate what he did over the last half dozen years. A shame he got derailed by injury but we cant afford to pay his contract any longer. Hopefully he find a landing spot (but not in our division).

Dutchis59

Senior Advisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TW3 is gone as expected. Official announcement upcoming still but he has already said his goodbyes. I was certainly a fan and appreciate what he did over the last half dozen years. A shame he got derailed by injury but we cant afford to pay his contract any longer. Hopefully he find a landing spot (but not in our division).
Extra 5.5 million in freed up cap space

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

On Friday afternoon, the NFL announced that the salary cap for the 2024 season will be $255.4 million per team. If that sounds like a lot of money, it is. Most estimates figured that number would be around $242-5 million, with only ProFootballTalk noting that it could be up to $250 million. This actual figure is higher than any estimates given this offseason, and it’s more than $30 million more than last year’s $224.8 million cap. The NFL explained the unexpected increase in an official memo.

“The unprecedented $30 million increase per club in this year’s Salary Cap is the result of the full repayment of all amounts advanced by the clubs and deferred by the players during the Covid pandemic as well as an extraordinary increase in media revenue for the 2024 season.”

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OTC originally expected near this final amount, however more than a month ago revised that expectation down to approximately 242M.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions have their first top 30 visit of the offseason. Qwan'tez Stiggers. Never played a snap in college, won Best rookie in the CFL. Apparently he did real well at the Shrine Bowl.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions have their first top 30 visit of the offseason. Qwan'tez Stiggers. Never played a snap in college, won Best rookie in the CFL. Apparently he did real well at the Shrine Bowl.
The with CB play is not just their stats but the pressure on QB stats as well. We should not even mention one without the other.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We resigned the kicker that DC didnt have enough faith in to make a 46 fg.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The with CB play is not just their stats but the pressure on QB stats as well. We should not even mention one without the other.
In yhe shrine bowl he took 23 snaps, targeted once and he had a pass break up. Never targeted again. Made a huge special teams tackle. I thunk it is a good sign when qbs stop targeting you. I know nothing about the dude, don't even if he is expected to be drafted