• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 SEASON

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he sticks around there has to be a salary restructure, if not that is a cap killer. I think his skills declining was so on point when he couldn't stuff Allen on that one QB sneak on Monday.
He couldn't stay on the field all that much either.

He's still an effective player but he's quickly moving toward part-time and one-dimensional. And he is not worth top 5 DL money anymore.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only Heyward but all their top stars on defense need to somehow stay healthy for a full season. Can't afforrd those big contracts if they are on the sidelines.
Even with Herbig/Golden in there, the dropoff was staggering and Fitzpatrick looked rusty.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers are the 2nd most expensive defense in the NFL, and Heyward is a large part of why that is. He will be 9.13% of the cap space next year.

And this Defense did not play like the 2nd most expensive Defense in the league.

Pure Moneyball, he's a net negative.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be in the minority here but I don't want Patrick Peterson back. Not good enough in coverage and seems to fear tackling. Wouldn't want to transition him to safety where tackling is an even bigger priority. Hopefully they get some talent in FA at the CB position.

CB room needs an overhaul.

UFAs: Levi Wallace, Chandon Sullivan, James Pierre, Elijah Riley

That leaves: JPJ, P2, Trice, & Rush... Oh and Luq Barcoo who was on the PS.

They cannot bank on Trice coming in & starting. No idea if he can even survive a camp with his injury history.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be in the minority here but I don't want Patrick Peterson back. Not good enough in coverage and seems to fear tackling. Wouldn't want to transition him to safety where tackling is an even bigger priority. Hopefully they get some talent in FA at the CB position.

They cannot bank on Trice coming in & starting. No idea if he can even survive a camp with his injury history.
He'd be great on a vet minimum contract as a backup DB who sees the field, maybe, in dime packages.

But I don't see him willing to take that role and pay.

CB is certainly in play in R1. Needs have to be considered, and if the best player on our board is CB... Then so be it.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure if that is a minority view point as I really wouldn't care either way. If he comes back for league min sure other than that it is best to move on. He got beat way too often in timely situations.

Edit: Positive going into next season at CB, they actually have a legit #1.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else see that Allen Robinson's base salary is going to be $10m next season if they don't take the 'out' in his contract? He was getting paid around $1m base in 2023.

Yea, he better be gone.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'd be great on a vet minimum contract as a backup DB who sees the field, maybe, in dime packages.

But I don't see him willing to take that role and pay.

CB is certainly in play in R1. Needs have to be considered, and if the best player on our board is CB... Then so be it.

Not sure if that is a minority view point as I really wouldn't care either way. If he comes back for league min sure other than that it is best to move on. He got beat way too often in timely situations.

Edit: Positive going into next season at CB, they actually have a legit #1.
What if I told you his cap hit next season is $9.775m? Set to make roughly $4m base with another $6m in bonuses.

With him being under contract it would be tough to restructure without adding some sort of voiding years to pay him out down the road. Don't see him just outright taking a pay cut.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if I told you his cap hit next season is $9.775m? Set to make roughly $4m base with another $6m in bonuses.

With him being under contract it would be tough to restructure without adding some sort of voiding years to pay him out down the road. Don't see him just outright taking a pay cut.
Totally agree. Just saying, if it was for vet minimum, I'd keep him. Otherwise an obvious cut.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Neither do I and why he is most likely gone. Have a feeling though, he won't get much traction in the market and might become an in season signing for a team.
Totally agree. Just saying, if it was for vet minimum, I'd keep him. Otherwise an obvious cut.
Yeah same, I agree it has to be min only to keep.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really depends on who they bring in as coordinators. If Austin stays, and they promote Faulkner then yea... It's rinse & repeat BS no matter what shiny new things they bring in through FA & the draft.
Do you think whoever is brought in will be given the chance to do their job without Tomlin micromanaging it though?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great if the schedules work out like they are supposed to the Steelers are in Atlanta in 2024.
And IF Belichick becomes the HC in Atlanta we can chalk that up as a loss next year.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So from Tomlin’s press conference… He expects to get an extension. He is not considering promoting OC from within and wants to hire an outside talent. Isn’t committing either way on DC but pointed to changes. He wants the QB room to be Mason v Pickett.

Is there any chance that he can learn from his mistakes and evolve? I like the guy, I do. But he won’t get out of his own way. Hire competent coordinators and get out of their way so they can do their job and you know what… Tomlin is probably a VERY good coach. Micromanaging mediocre staff drives me absolutely insane though and keeps him from truly being a top tier HC.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think whoever is brought in will be given the chance to do their job without Tomlin micromanaging it though?
Not likely. It would be nice if we got some sort of proof or clarity as to what sort of micromanaging he actually does. But this is also a philosophical issue.

I fear, as far as the OC is concerned, that the team's philosophy for offensive schemes only wants a vanilla chain-mover. Tomlin's postgame comments consistently allude to this when its clear the offense is failing and he just dissects the defensive performances. Maybe I'm reading too far between the lines here, but its wild to me that for 5+ years of failing offenses we only ever hear Tomlin talk about the "execution" and his defense not putting the offenses in better position to succeed.

So if its "execution" then why is he content with an OC that only calls the same 8-10 plays repeatedly a la Fichtner or Canada? Do they really not think opposing defenses watch film?

Either they need a gamechanger QB they trust to give a long leash (like Ben had) capable of elevating the offense on star power alone, or they need big philosophical changes before we ever see this offense capable of functioning at a high level. This organization is too old school.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not likely. It would be nice if we got some sort of proof or clarity as to what sort of micromanaging he actually does. But this is also a philosophical issue.

I fear, as far as the OC is concerned, that the team's philosophy for offensive schemes only wants a vanilla chain-mover. Tomlin's postgame comments consistently allude to this when its clear the offense is failing and he just dissects the defensive performances. Maybe I'm reading too far between the lines here, but its wild to me that for 5+ years of failing offenses we only ever hear Tomlin talk about the "execution" and his defense not putting the offenses in better position to succeed.

So if its "execution" then why is he content with an OC that only calls the same 8-10 plays repeatedly a la Fichtner or Canada? Do they really not think opposing defenses watch film?

Either they need a gamechanger QB they trust to give a long leash (like Ben had) capable of elevating the offense on star power alone, or they need big philosophical changes before we ever see this offense capable of functioning at a high level. This organization is too old school.
THAT is the fucking thing. Steeler mentality is to impose our will, and execute. Doesn't matter what the other team is doing, we're gonna do our thing. We won't change our ways until halftime and we are already in a deep hole.

They are historically inflexible and incapable of adjusting until it's too late.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are currently reeling from their Wild Card elimination at the hands of the Buffalo Bills. From all the drama about Mike Tomlin’s status with the team to Najee Harris’ comments about needing more discipline and structure, all does not seem well in Steel City at the moment.​
Harris, in particular, revealed another aspect that may have contributed to Monday’s game result. The running back spoke to the media and disclosed that the Steelers expected Buffalo to run a two-high defense, something the Bills have shown throughout the season.​
However, Sean McDermott decided to go with a one-high, adding an extra safety near the line of scrimmage to slow down the Steelers’ run game.​
Harris then revealed that Pittsburgh’s counter-strategy was “to run it anyway,” per Steelers Now’s Nick Farabaugh​
The running back finished with just 37 rushing yards on 12 carries in a game that was postponed a day late due to a snowstorm.​
Steelers RB's went wild the last few weeks. Everyone knew, including the Bills that the Steelers would want to run the ball and shorten the game to diminish Allen's impact. So they stacked the box, and we tried to run it anyway instead of working the available matchups down the field.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomlin announced he's coming back, that an outside hire will be the next OC and that Kenny PIckett is the team's QB1.

FUUUUCK
KEEEENNY
PIIIICKETT!

Get that bum ass mother fucker out of Pittsburgh!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THAT is the fucking thing. Steeler mentality is to impose our will, and execute. Doesn't matter what the other team is doing, we're gonna do our thing. We won't change our ways until halftime and we are already in a deep hole.

They are historically inflexible and incapable of adjusting until it's too late.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are currently reeling from their Wild Card elimination at the hands of the Buffalo Bills. From all the drama about Mike Tomlin’s status with the team to Najee Harris’ comments about needing more discipline and structure, all does not seem well in Steel City at the moment.​
Harris, in particular, revealed another aspect that may have contributed to Monday’s game result. The running back spoke to the media and disclosed that the Steelers expected Buffalo to run a two-high defense, something the Bills have shown throughout the season.​
However, Sean McDermott decided to go with a one-high, adding an extra safety near the line of scrimmage to slow down the Steelers’ run game.​
Harris then revealed that Pittsburgh’s counter-strategy was “to run it anyway,” per Steelers Now’s Nick Farabaugh​
The running back finished with just 37 rushing yards on 12 carries in a game that was postponed a day late due to a snowstorm.​
Steelers RB's went wild the last few weeks. Everyone knew, including the Bills that the Steelers would want to run the ball and shorten the game to diminish Allen's impact. So they stacked the box, and we tried to run it anyway instead of working the available matchups down the field.
Spot on.

Tomlin was spoiled by star power so he thinks he can keep imposing his will. Back when he had a top 3 OL, HOF QB, #1 WR & #1 RB he could do that.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Likely won't win the NFL DPOY award in 2 weeks... Because the NFL's agenda has been loud AF all season long... But at least the 'Committee of 101' for the NFL 101 awards got this right.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Likely won't win the NFL DPOY award in 2 weeks... Because the NFL's agenda has been loud AF all season long... But at least the 'Committee of 101' for the NFL 101 awards got this right.

Myles Garrett - 14 sacks, 42 combined tackles, 3 Pass Deflections, 4 Forced Fumbles
Micah Parsons - 14 sacks, 64 combined tackles, 2 Pass Deflections, 1 Forced Fumble
T.J Watt - 19 sacks, 68 combined tackle, 8 Pass Deflections, 4 Forced Fumbles, 1 Defensive TD

It SHOULD be a no-brainer who the 2023 DPOY is, and that is Trent Jordan Watt.