• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free agency and trade thread

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That 2nd being a low to mid 30s pick is a no-brainer for Washington. Sweat would obviously rather play on an up and coming team that might get to the play-offs but Atlanta still needs a QB in the worst way if they want to be more than just a play-off participant.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be brutal for the Bears if Sweat won't extend with them. Spend that 2nd for a rental in a year where they have no shot at the post season.
With their projected cap space the only way they don’t sign him is if he refuses to re-sign. But if worst case happens and they can’t sign him they would likely get a 3rd comp back the following year so it wouldn’t be that awful.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be brutal for the Bears if Sweat won't extend with them. Spend that 2nd for a rental in a year where they have no shot at the post season.
Agreed. They give him a deadline offer of 20% more than they think the FA market will offer him, they tag him, or they let him walk. I understand a contender making this move, but not a team in transition.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With their projected cap space the only way they don’t sign him is if he refuses to re-sign. But if worst case happens and they can’t sign him they would likely get a 3rd comp back the following year so it wouldn’t be that awful.
Only if they don't spend the money on someone else. In that scenario they end up trading a pick around #36 and recouping a pick around #97 a year later - a net loss of around 470 points on the old Draft chart.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. They give him a deadline offer of 20% more than they think the FA market will offer him, they tag him, or they let him walk. I understand a contender making this move, but not a team in transition.
Yeah, I'm with you. This trade made no sense to me at all from the Bears perspective. They are far from just a player or two away from contending. They need 2 really good drafts yet, build the roster and then to get off to a good start in 2025. Then you make a move like this.
P.S. Of course, it should go without saying that the Bears need to find an actual franchise QB which they haven't done since WW2.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is pretty much the going consensus on the Bears board, especially your last sentence.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they resign him. They have the luxury of the most cap in 2024 and a extra 1st and a extra 4th in 2024 so using a 2nd for a player ( who they feel has talent) in his prime isn't the worse move I can think of.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they resign him. They have the luxury of the most cap in 2024 and a extra 1st and a extra 4th in 2024 so using a 2nd for a player ( who they feel has talent) in his prime isn't the worse move I can think of.
They could franchise tag him

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have no idea what the Bears are doing. Now they have no leverage and will overpay for a good player but hardly a difference maker.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea what the Bears are doing. Now they have no leverage and will overpay for a good player but hardly a difference maker.
Bears signed Sweat to a 4 yr 98 mil extension. per Rappaport

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears signed Sweat to a 4 yr 98 mil extension. per Rappaport
As a Bears fan, I'm glad this is now behind us. We can argue till the cows come home whether it's a fair deal or if he was overpaid. The bottom line is had he only played for us just half a season at the cost of a low-mid 30's draft pick, it would have been a PR disaster for the Bears. I'm more than satisified with this development.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,731.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everybody needs pass rushing.

Most people understand QB's, pass rushers, and receivers get paid. All players do but those 3 especially.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you really this stupid

It's obvious that @DJ has not seen every one of Chase Young's plays. We have and this guy is not the guy many believe him to be. But I do agree that pass rushers get over paid due to demand. But is Sweat, a guy who has average 7.5 sacks a season, considered a pass rusher worth of $25 million/year? I don't think he is..

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's obvious that @DJ has not seen every one of Chase Young's plays. We have and this guy is not the guy many believe him to be. But I do agree that pass rushers get over paid due to demand. But is Sweat, a guy who has average 7.5 sacks a season, considered a pass rusher worth of $25 million/year? I don't think he is..
was Dallas's defensive end , D.Law worth 20m per a couple of years ago? Sack stats say no, but he plays outstanding team football.

Nothing worse for team defense than not playing YOUR assignment.

the money is what it is, one would think fans would understand this part of the game after the last three years.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
was Dallas's defensive end , D.Law worth 20m per a couple of years ago? Sack stats say no, but he plays outstanding team football.

Nothing worse for team defense than not playing YOUR assignment.

the money is what it is, one would think fans would understand this part of the game after the last three years.

Not sure if you are referring to Sweat or Young. Sweat definitely played his assignments, Chase did not and left gaping holes. That's the one of the main reasons Sweat had more value in the open market despite being older. I understand the money is what it is, and DEs get overpaid. But a high 2nd and $25/million a year is a Hell of a price for a player who is no more than "good".