• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023-24 Flyers: What's new is old again.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lots of Flyers on the list.

And no TK. Been some chatter about him lately, but some of it was extension talk too. The fact that he's not on the TSN list seems to indicate re-signing is the more likely option. I'm good with that. At this point I'd only really be interested if they could get a high end center prospect back.

Frost I don't really think makes sense to move due to the center depth stuff we've talked about.

Walker, Seeler, and Laughton though I think make sense. Like all 3 guys, but if they can get picks or prospects back that could turn in to top half of the lineup guys on a contender (ie 1st or 2nd round type picks or prospects), I think it makes sense to move them. If we get down in to the 4th round level I don't really see the point. Just keep them. Hard to find difference makers that deep in the draft.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do wonder what a TK extension looks like though. Just basing it off the last 12 or so top of the lineup type guys signed (Tippet included, who is 200k/pt), AAV is about $192,000 per 2023-24 point. That'd put TK at 8.65. Overly simplistic/basic estimate of course, but the spread seems pretty consistent across those 12 guys.

8x8.65 wouldn't be a bad deal I don't think. With the cap going up too.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a beautiful thing to watch the Penqueens go down tonight in Minnesota on MAF night. Aside from the Isles, this was the one team that could've soon threatened to pass us in the playoff race. Now, they would basically have to win all four of their games in hand to make that happen, which is pretty unlikely. The Devils and Caps have an even tougher road and the Jackets are firmly in the basement.

Obviously you take it one game at a time, but that outdoor game against NJ next weekend looms large. We have an opportunity to really stick it to them with a regulation win. They have won only 4 of their last 12 games and are running out of time for a playoff push.

It's a tough pill to swallow with how well this team has played, but it looks like we will still be sellers at the trade deadline in about four weeks.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do wonder what a TK extension looks like though. Just basing it off the last 12 or so top of the lineup type guys signed (Tippet included, who is 200k/pt), AAV is about $192,000 per 2023-24 point. That'd put TK at 8.65. Overly simplistic/basic estimate of course, but the spread seems pretty consistent across those 12 guys.

8x8.65 wouldn't be a bad deal I don't think. With the cap going up too.
Probably not a bad deal for both sides, but the Flyers can point out the extension Brandon Hagel just signed in Tampa. Now maybe that's a hometown deal to keep the Lightning competitive (and winning Cups), but he's getting only $6.5 million per for the next 8 seasons and his numbers are almost identical to that of Konecny over the last two seasons.

Hagel: 133 GP 48 goals 61 assists 109 points

Konecny: 112 GP 55 goals 51 assists 106 points

I think you can argue that Konecny is more experienced and also doing more with less, but the numbers don't lie either. These guys play the same position and are still both pretty young. Konecny is about a year and a half older, but turning just 27 in a month.

Maybe bump that cap hit to $7.5-8 million per and you have a long term deal that essentially keeps Konecny a Flyer for life. $8.65 million feels a little high for me, but it probably is fair.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You put Konecny through all these years of bullshit and you owe the guy a little more.

When you get to win and play for cups you owe the guy a little less.

Common sense.

Anyone trying to penny pinch Konecny is a tool that deserves losing.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And no TK. Been some chatter about him lately, but some of it was extension talk too. The fact that he's not on the TSN list seems to indicate re-signing is the more likely option. I'm good with that. At this point I'd only really be interested if they could get a high end center prospect back.

Frost I don't really think makes sense to move due to the center depth stuff we've talked about.

Walker, Seeler, and Laughton though I think make sense. Like all 3 guys, but if they can get picks or prospects back that could turn in to top half of the lineup guys on a contender (ie 1st or 2nd round type picks or prospects), I think it makes sense to move them. If we get down in to the 4th round level I don't really see the point. Just keep them. Hard to find difference makers that deep in the draft.
I agree on all of this except for Seeler. I dont feel that we can get back enough for him in a deadline deal.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You put Konecny through all these years of bullshit and you owe the guy a little more.

When you get to win and play for cups you owe the guy a little less.

Common sense.

Anyone trying to penny pinch Konecny is a tool that deserves losing.
I'd have no problem paying 8 M or so and agreed I wouldn't grind him as he is a true Flyer always comes to play. Good on the PP, PK and even strength everyone would want him on their team. Unless you get a truckload of can't miss prospects I wouldn't move him.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't underestimate Seattle tonight. They are an average squad that has only been beating bad teams as of late, but this is their first game post-All-Star break and they're looking for a fresh start just like we were. I'm sure they will be amped up tonight. Surely they'll be fresh, but also likely rusty. Gotta jump all over them early and put them away. Kind of like we did against Winnipeg, except without coasting through the second half of the game.

Let's see if we can avenge the December 29th loss in Seattle.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another night of hockey, another W and another avenged loss. Not only that, the Isles, Pens and Devils all go down, increasing our lead over 4th, 5th and 6th in the Metro.

Funny how hockey works. Couturier accidentally tips a shot by McCann that flutters by Peterson only 36 seconds into the 3rd period, which tied the game 2-2. Only 5 minutes later, Couturier wins an offensive zone faceoff, drives to the net hard and deflects home a point shot by Sanheim that ends up being the 3-2 game-winner. Not much drama late. I think we defended well in front of Peterson and kept the puck at the other end of the ice often. This didn't give Seattle much opportunity to send the game to OT. Really nice to get a win for the (new) backup, who has barely played at all this season.

Everyone below us in the division is slumping, so despite having played more games than anyone, we're winning and have what feels like a comfortable, multiple point lead too (6 over the Isles, 8 over the Devils and 9 over the Pens/Caps). Yes, the Pens have a whopping 4 games in hand, but they have lost 7 of their last 10.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming out of a break and winning three in a row is the most UN-Flyer like thing to do.

I guess this isn’t the flyers of the 20 - tens anymore.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming out of a break and winning three in a row is the most UN-Flyer like thing to do.

I think this team is learning lessons throughout the season and constantly improving. I expect to make the playoffs at this point, but will selling at the deadline kill our chances? I'm not saying we should be buyers, but also, this team has probably earned a shot at making an unlikely playoff run.

Tough decisions for Danny B. at this point. Ideally, we probably trade away Walker and Seeler, then re-sign one or both of them in the offseason because I don't think we want to flat-out lose both of these guys for good. They want to stay and they've exceeded all expectations, so let's hopefully make that happen.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have no problem paying 8 M or so and agreed I wouldn't grind him as he is a true Flyer always comes to play. Good on the PP, PK and even strength everyone would want him on their team. Unless you get a truckload of can't miss prospects I wouldn't move him.
We may have to go a little more than 8 million as we pay Couts almost 8 million and TK does a lot more for this team than Couts does.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Its what happens when you have leaders on the team who grind it out every night blocking shots and digging in corners. Unlike the 2010s when we had a guy setting up on the boards on the PP and never moving and skating around the perimeter never going near the net.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's four straight wins. We overcome three one-goal deficits to score three unanswered goals in the 3rd and take it 5-3 over the Coyotes in Philly. I texted my good friend Matt that even down 2-3 entering the 3rd, we were going to win this and then it happened. I believe in this squad and they repeatedly back me up on that.

The goals scored were by Frost on a penalty shot snipe, Konecny on a 2 on 1, Drysdale on a cross-crease pass that deflected off a skate in front, Laughton via a wraparound while getting high-sticked in the mouth and Tippett on the empty net from the blue line to seal it.

Let's go baby!! I love this team and the black jerseys too!

Last edited:

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's four straight wins. We overcome three one-goal deficits to score three unanswered goals in the 3rd and take it 5-3 over the Coyotes in Philly. I texted my good friend Matt that even down 2-3 entering the 3rd, we were going to win this and then it happened. I believe in this squad and they repeatedly back me up on that.

The goals scored were by Frost on a penalty shot snipe, Konecny on a 2 on 1, Drysdale on a cross-crease pass that deflected off a skate in front, Laughton via a wraparound while getting high-sticked in the mouth and Tippett on the empty net from the blue line to seal it.

Those are the games we lose 5 -3 last year. Amazing the attitude change from last year to this year. Out - Hayes, JVR, DeAngelo and Provy. In - Couts, Atkinson, Foerster, Walker, Poehling, and Hathaway. The new group has a desire that the sold group didn't have.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can't remember this style of play from the last two years with those long breakouts and frequent odd-man scoring chances.
These guys are a lot of fun to watch right now.

Ersson's save late on that mini-breakaway backhand was exquisite.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't remember this style of play from the last two years with those long breakouts and frequent odd-man scoring chances.

To me the constant hustle every shift is a big game changer, especially the way the forwards have been back checking and helping the Defense move the puck out of their own zone. I love that culture being instilled in these younger guys.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think maybe in the past our youngsters were too hesitant or afraid to make a mistake. Now they are being aggressive offensively, playing super fast and trusting their instincts. If you make a mistake, try to do it in the right area where there's high reward along with that risk. More times than not though, everyone has each other's back and mistakes get erased by a check or block via a defender or Ersson/Hart make a really nice, clutch save. The teamwork and support is amazing all over the ice. It keeps us in virtually every single game. The goalies are battling hard too because they see how many shots the guys in front of them are blocking. Nobody wants to be that guy who didn't compete.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Four straight after the break and we remain fifth or sixth in the East. If we get into the top four, man that would be awesome. I think maybe Briere should forgo this trade deadline hysteria and just keep everyone intact. But I am quite sure there are peeps that want the big three traded and then re-signed later to obtain more draft assets and maybe pick-up a good player along the process.