• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 Pre-season thread

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most players on these lists have gone through the previous two cuts but I know the Vikings released 3 players yesterday and another team released 5 players yesterday - can't remember who the team is

• Tuesday, August 31: Down to 53
Around The NFL tracks all of the releases. Navigate to your team by clicking on the corresponding division below:
* -- Denotes a player who was waived with an injury designation and has reverted back to the team's injured reserve list.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
neither has done much in camp and NR-C hasn't been there long enough to judge, imo.

Elder is getting props for the INT but what else has he brought to the table in "ONE" game ?

WTF from DC ? and this article was written on Saturday and it's DC's comments after Friday Nights Game

Ford was playing well in the slot during camp and the 1st pre-season game. IDK. Ford plays ST as well. Parker and NR-C has had reps at ST too.
That's asking a LOT to be productive while playing slot, outside and ST

Campbell stated Friday that he's looking for a nickel defensive back that can play not only in the slot, but also on the outside and on special teams. The players in contention for the starting spot at nickel are undrafted rookie cornerback AJ Parker, as well as free-agent acquisitions Corn Elder and Nickell Robey-Coleman.

Campbell isn't confident that any of the three can be productive on the outside, though.

"I think that right now, that's the one thing that we're lacking a little bit: a nickel defensive back, like those three, that you know can go out and play outside," he said. "Not that they can't function in it, but I don't think that's what we're going to want to do. And (on) special teams, we have to get better there, out of that position."

I was under the impression that Ford was starting for now at slot unless 1 of the young corners gets hurt or sucks. Then FOrd would move outside and Parker would start at slot and one of the other 2 that is kept would be the backup.

I guess I was off.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
merely posting this for all those who have concerns regarding Sewell
LT Thomas was No.4 overall pick for the Giants last year

Daniel Jones was picked off in the Patriots’ end zone and nearly again on a subsequent drive. He did rally by leading a textbook touchdown drive to close out the first half. But too often over five series, the third-year QB was indecisive when looking past his first read. That sometimes wasn't an option, as left tackle Andrew Thomas struggled to protect Jones' blind side, allowing two sacks and drawing a holding call. New York has to be concerned about the No. 4 pick of the 2020 draft, especially after an uneven rookie campaign. Nate Solder, once the team's prized free-agent signing who opted out of last season, didn't fare much better on the right side.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was under the impression that Ford was starting for now at slot unless 1 of the young corners gets hurt or sucks. Then FOrd would move outside and Parker would start at slot and one of the other 2 that is kept would be the backup.

I guess I was off.

I guess WE were off

I assumed Ford would be in contention for the outside CB spot battling Oruwariye but like I stated previously

I'm wrong 99.9% of the time

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm wrong 99.9% of the time

In what may be one of the most surprising moves by the Detroit Lions, they have reportedly waived cornerback Mike Ford, as confirmed by the Detroit Free Press.

This move could display the Lions’ confidence in the growth of rookie Ifeatu Melifonwu, who is now projected to be the team’s primary backup at outside cornerback going into the season. But who will take Ford’s spot on special teams, particularly at gunner, where he was one of the best in the league? Perhaps safety Jalen Elliott?
This sucks. I hope Campbell is not trying to grow a brain. He needs to stick to being a motivator.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont get it. We have 2 kickers that totally suck, A LB who could tackle my grandma, And a TE who cant catch anything. Somehow they guy that can do everything on defense needed to go. Something does not smell right here.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sucks. I hope Campbell is not trying to grow a brain. He needs to stick to being a motivator.

"In our eyes" this sucks, however Aaron Glenn and Aubrey Pleasant know who they think best fits their roles for DB. I highly doubt DC or even Holmes would finalize any released/waived player if they didn't agree.

You and I are nothing more than Arm-Chair GM's. Sorry, but that's the truth

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont get it. We have 2 kickers that totally suck, A LB who could tackle my grandma, And a TE who cant catch anything. Somehow they guy that can do everything on defense needed to go. Something does not smell right here.

revert to post "malone" below (trying to throw some humor out there as "post malone" is a rapper. you know, to make you feel better.

"In our eyes" this sucks, however Aaron Glenn and Aubrey Pleasant know who they think best fits their roles for DB. I highly doubt DC or even Holmes would finalize any released/waived player if they didn't agree.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Still, there is more to the story then this. Hell, he might have even had some trade value. There has to be some sort of personality clash or something. I will wait to hear more on this.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

one obvious difference between Ford and Melifonwu/Bobby Price is that the latter two are 6'3 and over 200 lbs., plus they're both younger and a little more athletic than Ford - I'd have to verify through their RAS cards -

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still, there is more to the story then this. Hell, he might have even had some trade value. There has to be some sort of personality clash or something. I will wait to hear more on this.

Last I knew, he still hadn't received his Covid shot. I have No Clue if that has anything to do with this decision. Nick Williams hasn't received his to date either.

Teams will be penalized, by fine, if their team cannot play games due to covid breakouts.

IDK

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Funchess, Tate, Josh Gordon, Donte Moncrieff, Josh Doctson ............ No to all of these WR

The most likely scenario is a waiver wire find. The Lions could—and likely will—add a receiver who was cut by another team this week.

Just wait until the NFL Draft and free agency. The Lions could be in solid shape in 2022. (I couldn't have stated it better than this).

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

By releasing Ford and knowing he has ST value, emergency replacement value at CB then Holmes and Company damn for sure had better part ways with both Tavai and JRM because neither of those two should be considered as valued players when you have the likes of Barnes and Pittman. This statement is solely my viewpoint while seeing Ford receiving the axe.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
S Alijah Holder gone according to NFL.com

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmeney X-Mas
it isn't for two though

Skipper suffered an injury in the final preseason game and was carted off. He was having a competitive training camp, but the injury looked serious enough that he will miss significant time. If he clears waivers, there’s a good chance he returns to the Lions injured reserve list, but his season is over.

It appears to be a different story with Crosby, who had been the source of trade rumors since training camp even began. Though he was dealing with an injury of his own, Crosby played in the preseason finale. Campbell bluntly said his performance in camp wasn’t good enough.

“We didn’t feel like he was one of the best guys,” Campbell said on Monday morning.

Though he, too, could revert to the Lions’ injured reserve list, Crosby seems like a likely candidate to get claimed on waivers.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point, the Lions only have four offensive tackles on the roster: Taylor Decker, Penei Sewell, Darrin Paulo, and Matt Nelson. But it does not sound like all those players are necessarily safe, as Campbell noted that offensive line is a position they will be looking at on the waiver wire this week.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OL position coach, Fraley, better waive his magic wand

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The remaining four cuts were wide receivers Victor Bolden and Damion Ratley, guard Evan Heim, and nose tackle Miles Brown.

Perriman
Ford
Holder
Skipper
Crosby

And while the cuts of Bolden and Ratley appear to be a positive sign that Kennedy has made the roster, Campbell made sure to note that decision has not been made yet.

The Lions will carry that 71-man roster into practice on Monday morning. They will need to trim another 18 players by Tuesday’s 4 p.m. ET deadline.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Upon further evaluation, team doctors determined that Boyle had broken the thumb on his throwing hand and would require surgery, which is taking place on Monday. Lions head coach Dan Campbell said it's too early to determine if Boyle will be lost for the season, but nothing can be ruled out at this time.

If the Lions believe that Boyle can return this season, he will likely make the team's initial 53-man roster, then be placed on injured reserve on Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET, thus making him eligible to return to the active roster when healthy.