• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Pirates

stillmatic32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Desmond would be a decent target if the market is down on him. He'd be a pretty solid bench player with the upside of upgrading SS and adding some pop back into the lineup. Either way, it adds a ML-capable middle infielder to the bench.

Adding a useful first baseman would go a long way, too.

Gotta sign some kind of a middle infielder. And a first basemen. And 2 pitchers. And a lefty reliever. Even after doing that there will be zero depth. Kingham is probably going to start throwing in AAA around July. Glasnow and Taillion would be mid June at best. Trevor Williams could be the first to be called up if injury happens. I'm hoping something happens very soon.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Desmond would be a decent target if the market is down on him. He'd be a pretty solid bench player with the upside of upgrading SS and adding some pop back into the lineup. Either way, it adds a ML-capable middle infielder to the bench.

Adding a useful first baseman would go a long way, too.

Desmond was a 4+ WAR guy for 3 years before last, and fangraphs has him crowdsourced at 4/60. I'd like to get a deal, but a good deal for him is 3/40 or something there-abouts. I don't see how he is a bench bat.

Maybe Kelly Johnson or Stephen Drew as bench bats. They might be able to get a deal on Howie Kendrick, and move Harrison back to the bench/super sub rule.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Desmond was a 4+ WAR guy for 3 years before last, and fangraphs has him crowdsourced at 4/60. I'd like to get a deal, but a good deal for him is 3/40 or something there-abouts. I don't see how he is a bench bat.

Maybe Kelly Johnson or Stephen Drew as bench bats. They might be able to get a deal on Howie Kendrick, and move Harrison back to the bench/super sub rule.

3/40 wouldn't be a bad deal for Desmond for the Bucs. Newman is probably the first shortstop in the system who could reasonably take on a starting role, so he wouldn't really be blocking anyone.

I like the idea of Kendrick, though. He does a lot of things really well, tends to be undervalued, but is always a solid player.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're about even with the Cards and Dodgers right now, probably a bit ahead of the Giants and DBacks, and also probably better than everyone in the NL East except for the Nats and maybe the Mets, with whom they're also pretty even. Especially considering their activity in terms of talking to other teams and players persisted throughout the Winter Meetings, even after the Walker for Niese deal, it's probably pretty safe to assume they'll continue to be one of the better teams in the NL.

We almost certainly have the best bullpen in the NL right now, and we're in contention for the best outfield, and we have a great catcher. We have a solid player in Harrison who will fill in where needed, and I think Kang should establish himself among the NL's best 3B this season, given health. Mercer is mostly fine, too, so finding a decent 1B to make Morse a bench player is the biggest thing position player wise.

And you just know we'll find a way to upgrade the rotation. We always do.

Plus, we have mid- to late-season boost possibilities from three impact prospects in Taillon, Bell, and Glasnow, plus a probably useful prospect in Hanson.

The Cubs have the most talented team in baseball right now, probably, but that doesn't mean the Bucs aren't going to contend.

Well, maybe "contend" was not right word. I think they will contend for wild card spot again, just don't think they are making any moves to put them at next level. Starting pitching is one area I think they need to improve on, need a good, solid number 2 & 3 guy, just don't see that right now.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, maybe "contend" was not right word. I think they will contend for wild card spot again, just don't think they are making any moves to put them at next level. Starting pitching is one area I think they need to improve on, need a good, solid number 2 & 3 guy, just don't see that right now.
You can argue that Cole and Liriano are the 1 & 2 but that means they truly need a #3. I don't feel Niese is that, basically more of an upgrade over Locke/Morton at 4 or 5. With that said if Glasnow comes up in June and is lights out then they have their #3 but truly need a stop gap until that time.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw reports the Padres might be interested in dealing Ross or Cashner, why I have no clue since they have them cheap and controlled for a couple more years, but if the right deal could be made either might fit well at PNC. Ross seems to be a fastball/slider pitcher with a good amount of ground balls. Cashner is more of a Fastball pitcher and more even on the ground ball/flyball ratio.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3/40 wouldn't be a bad deal for Desmond for the Bucs. Newman is probably the first shortstop in the system who could reasonably take on a starting role, so he wouldn't really be blocking anyone.

I like the idea of Kendrick, though. He does a lot of things really well, tends to be undervalued, but is always a solid player.

The only question being, would the Pirates make Harrison a guaranteed bench player after giving him an extension like that, my guess is no.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw reports the Padres might be interested in dealing Ross or Cashner, why I have no clue since they have them cheap and controlled for a couple more years, but if the right deal could be made either might fit well at PNC. Ross seems to be a fastball/slider pitcher with a good amount of ground balls. Cashner is more of a Fastball pitcher and more even on the ground ball/flyball ratio.

I'm sure the asking price would be high on both. Do you trade one of Glasnow, Bell, Meadows for them?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure the asking price would be high on both. Do you trade one of Glasnow, Bell, Meadows for them?

Very true. Honestly with the payroll limitions of the Pirates not sure I would. With projections Glasnow seems like he will be a much better pitcher than both, on top of the fact that Taillon and Kingham are hurt. The high value pitching trade depth is depleted at the moment. With Bell unless you are getting a long term 1B (ala Freeman) I would keep him. Meadows might be good trade chip if the Pirates go long term with Marte, McCutchen and Polanco.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true. Honestly with the payroll limitions of the Pirates not sure I would. With projections Glasnow seems like he will be a much better pitcher than both, on top of the fact that Taillon and Kingham are hurt. The high value pitching trade depth is depleted at the moment. With Bell unless you are getting a long term 1B (ala Freeman) I would keep him. Meadows might be good trade chip if the Pirates go long term with Marte, McCutchen and Polanco.

With the possibility of the DH coming to the NL in 2017, though, they might want to keep Meadows anyway. Resign Cutch long-term with the new TV deal money and rotate the outfielders through DH (though Cutch should be there more than the other three, probably).

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ If that is a reality then yeah keeping Meadows makes sense and if for some reason it doesn't they should have the talent then to make a pretty good deal with their OF depth.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't trade any of the three guys. I hadn't heard about the DH in 2017, but that is another consideration. But do we even know that Polanco is a guaranteed OF for the next 5+ years? I think he probably is, but he's been more ok than good. Especially with the obvious flaw of not being able to hit lefties thus far.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't trade any of the three guys. I hadn't heard about the DH in 2017, but that is another consideration. But do we even know that Polanco is a guaranteed OF for the next 5+ years? I think he probably is, but he's been more ok than good. Especially with the obvious flaw of not being able to hit lefties thus far.

The DH is being speculated for the 2016 CBA meetings. The PA has a motivation, both for protecting pitchers and for creating more jobs for hitters, so I see it as a distinct possibility.

Polanco can hit lefties when given the chance, though. Once they stopped using him as a platoon guy, he started to get comfortable with them, and he has a history of hitting lefties in the minors. And as awkward as he is, he still gets the job done defensively and on the bases. I'm pretty confident in Polanco.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little change of subject:
MLB could see even bigger deals in 2018

But come 2018, hopefully the Pirates will have the money (for that matter any small market team) to resign players like McCutchen. If not most of this talent will go to big markets after seeing the crazy amount of money given out to a select few this year.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a bad idea for Jaso then they could try for Kendrick so he can play 2B, Kang at 3B with Harrison playing super sub that way Rodriguez wouldn't be signed again.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all in on John Jaso, I mentioned him upthread, guy can get on base.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ I thought you did and on another note Rodriguez is coming back.
I am not opposed to it and having him on the bench helps but they still need offense.