• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Pirates

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Alvarez was finally non-tendered. I am so glad we will never see him again swing and miss on a breaking ball low and inside as a Pirate.

Btw...looks like they are looking the "projects" of Justin Masterson, Mat Latos and Doug Fister.

Also if the Braves DFA Mike Minor that would be another interesting pitcher to bring in.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sincerely going to miss Pedro. I wish him all the best.

And if we can get Fister on the cheap, I'd do it in a heartbeat. He was too good, too steady for too long not to try to get him back there.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish i could say the same. I know his power was amazing but the poor defense and the fact he couldn't hit a breaking pitch drove me nuts.

I know it was Arrieta in this highlight but I don't think he ever made contact on this pitch, ever from any pitcher.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Henderson Alvarez was nontendered by the Marlins. His shoulder is hurt, which made 2015 a lost year for him, but he was pretty good before that. He'd definitely be worth a look to see if we can get him healthy and productive again. He's only 25 right now, too.

The Dodgers also nontendered Juan Nicasio. If Melancon gets dealt and Watson promoted to closer, he'd be a solid arm to slot into middle relief.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they are going to go after a guy with a hurt shoulder, rather they go after Mike Minor.

Doug Fister is a guy who I'd like to see them go after, performance-wise he's pretty equal to Mike Leake, but would come for 2/20ish instead of 4/48.

Also, John Jaso intrigues me as a possible 1B platoon/bench option. Hasn't played much first, but used to be a catcher, and can play a corner OF spot, assume he'd be able to learn the position.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are everyone's thoughts on 1B?

Seems like the Pirates are hot after Mitch Moreland, who is ok, but don't really want to give up any decent prospect for him. I'd like to see them make Walker a 1B/2B, splitting time between the two positions based on matchups. Using Harrison at 2B/3B until Kang returns. Then moving Harrison to 2B full time with Kang to 3B. Would improve the defense overall across the infield.

They'd only need to add a utility 2B guy then, who could even be Alen Hanson.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are everyone's thoughts on 1B?

Seems like the Pirates are hot after Mitch Moreland, who is ok, but don't really want to give up any decent prospect for him. I'd like to see them make Walker a 1B/2B, splitting time between the two positions based on matchups. Using Harrison at 2B/3B until Kang returns. Then moving Harrison to 2B full time with Kang to 3B. Would improve the defense overall across the infield.

They'd only need to add a utility 2B guy then, who could even be Alen Hanson.

If the price is right on Moreland, he'd be a good get, especially useful early in the season until Kang recovers and Walker has to play second. But no matter what we plan at first, Walker should be taught the position at least. The versatility would be worth it.

Moreland's about all that's available I think it would make sense for the Pirates to get. He's a really good defensive first baseman, and he's always hit for power. I think he could get close to matching Pedro offensively while providing a huge defensive upgrade. I don't think it's any guarantee Walker provides that upgrade.

I also think Harrison is much more valuable in a super utility role, and based on how he ended the season in AAA, I don't know that Hanson is ready yet to be an option.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My worry on Moreland is he is coming off a career year, and is a below average hitter for his career. He seems like a left handed Morse. If they can get him for nothing, like Morse, I'm all for it. But I can't see that happening.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Could be a Moreland for Morton or Locke deal. Since the Pirates have a good track record of filling out the back end of the rotation with cheap arms, that deal would make some sense. And Morton's not a ton to give up, being in the last year of his deal, and unlikely to be signed back.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bucs interested in Kazmir, which is not surprising. He's their type of arm, just a bit pricier than usual. He'd be a good signing, though, I'd imagine on a similar deal to the one he's expected to ask for. We'd have a heck of a rotation once Taillon and Glasnow are up, too, with Kazmir in the fold.

ramburgh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The starting pitchers that could be a possibility for the Pirates include:

Justin Masterson (FA)
Scott Kazmir (FA)
Cliff Lee (FA)
CJ Wilson (Trade if Angels pick up the majority of his contract)
James Shield (Trade if Padres pick up some of his contract)

It will be interesting to see what happens if Morton is traded.

Maybe a trade along the lines of:
Morton and Diaz to Rangers
Moreland and CJ Wilson to Pirates
Rangers prospect to Angels and Angels/Rangers pick up 50-60% of Wilson's $20,500,000 salary (2016 is the last year of his contract)

Then the Pirates also sign either Masterson or Kazmir.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pirates are meeting with Dae Ho Lee while he's in Nashville. He hit 31 HR last year in Japan. Big boy, too, 6'4" 286 lbs. He's right handed, though, so I'd assume we'd look to move Morse if we sign him.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walker has been traded to the Mets for Niese, which seems like a fair deal. They're really similar players in terms of value. Both were solid for a multi-year stretch. Both had down years last year. Both have concerns about their continued value due to injury histories. Both cost about the same.

I would have liked to have seen more, but with Walker's defensive shortcomings, I'm not sure they could have gotten more.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walker has been traded to the Mets for Niese, which seems like a fair deal. They're really similar players in terms of value. Both were solid for a multi-year stretch. Both had down years last year. Both have concerns about their continued value due to injury histories. Both cost about the same.

I would have liked to have seen more, but with Walker's defensive shortcomings, I'm not sure they could have gotten more.

Yep, its the D that killed his value. We had to get rid of him and Alvarez and turn the page.

stillmatic32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Heard something today about how they moved the fences in at Citi and there was a direct correlation between his fly ball to home run ratio that explained the jump in ERA for the 2015 season. His FIP has been pretty steady throughout his career. I like his chances to have a really good season.

A little worried about who plays 1B and 2B or 3B.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Decent value for Walker, Niese is more of a #4 though, still need a #3.

PNC can only help Niese since it suppresses right handed power more than any park I believe.

The lineup though needs a lot of work. They need to replace two above average bats (Walker and Alvarez), adding positive defensive value will help, but they still need two 100 wRC+ guys. And I don't know where they get them.

ramburgh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think this trade is going to be an under the radar steal due to the option years. Starting pitching is getting more costly every year and if Niese benefits from Searage, shifts and being a lefty at PNC then his value will go up considerably. Even if all the young guys work out and there is no place for Niese in the rotation next year because it has Cole, Liriano, Glasnow, Taillon and Kingham (not likely that all will be successful and in the rotation next year) then the Pirates can trade Niese and get some nice pieces because of the two option years. If he doesn't work out then the Pirates can let him walk after this year. I project he will have an ERA between 3.3-3.6 and be one of the best 4th starters in the game as the Pirates will make another move to get a number 3 starter.

The Pirates have brought on Niese's salary however they have also shed about $45M in salaries from last year. Granted, everyone's salary has gone up from last year, however there should be a good amount of room to still add a solid SP and solid 1B.

If the Pirates can move Morton then things become increasingly interesting.