• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 DRAFT

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn NE has just become DB central. Looks like some good competition for camp.
only one RB. I wonder what BB is thinking? Hoping to make it to next years draft with the current crop?

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next yrs RB are loaded, so that could be his plan. However, I think he fucked up. He traded up into the 5th, then both Booker and Dixon went. BB then traded out completely for a 4th next yr. Now unless he did that on purpose who knows. I find it funny that once Dixon went, BB traded out. Balt snipped BB twice (pay back for Gronk/HT) by getting Dixon/Reynolds, I still say we got the better 2, LOL....At this point it's what we got, unless they bring in Foster which could be a possibility, but who knows. Prob could of passed on the DT from Braska and got a RB instead.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
were all the picks taken by the Patriots players that had some sort of fairly major surgery?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
were all the picks taken by the Patriots players that had some sort of fairly major surgery?
Not all, but in true BB tradition a few did.

ohiopatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think BB had a particular player or two in mind at RB and just didn't get them. Also, having Blount back at a low salary hit made RB less of a strong need. If Blount had signed with another team, I think BB would have been more likely to draft a RB. Also, as was mentioned earlier, 2017 is supposed to be a good year for running backs.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think BB had a particular player or two in mind at RB and just didn't get them. Also, having Blount back at a low salary hit made RB less of a strong need. If Blount had signed with another team, I think BB would have been more likely to draft a RB. Also, as was mentioned earlier, 2017 is supposed to be a good year for running backs.
I'm skeptical Blount can be productive over a whole season? Puts more pressure on Lewis. We saw what happened last year when those two went down. Maybe Brown is the answer?

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, you have to give White a shot to carry the load. He has been the only one to remain healthy and he can catch. Let him run with the ones in camp and see what he can do as the full time back. We know what we are getting in Blount and Lewis, but can they remain healthy. I think Blount is more realistic than Lewis at this point. Unless there is an injury in camp or before that, I don't see them bringing in Foster.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was an UDFA CB from Auburn named Jones that was signed. He was actually pretty good before his injury. A small guy, 5'9 with speed.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, you have to give White a shot to carry the load. He has been the only one to remain healthy and he can catch. Let him run with the ones in camp and see what he can do as the full time back. We know what we are getting in Blount and Lewis, but can they remain healthy. I think Blount is more realistic than Lewis at this point. Unless there is an injury in camp or before that, I don't see them bringing in Foster.
I'm just tired of this stable of mediocre RBs (after Blount & Lewis). Would be great if White could help out but it just isn't happening. Hopefully with some of the new drafts/UFAs NE can let Bolden go. Another one sucking up a spot for his ST play.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just tired of this stable of mediocre RBs (after Blount & Lewis). Would be great if White could help out but it just isn't happening. Hopefully with some of the new drafts/UFAs NE can let Bolden go. Another one sucking up a spot for his ST play.

Bolden wont go anywhere, he is actually very good on ST. I would look at Bolden at a ST guy who will be the 4th RB in an emergency situation. We no longer have 6 S in which 5 of them were ST guys. SO basically Bolden takes over that role. BB will do what he always does, 2 or 3 RB active with Bolden as the emergency guy. Your looking at Blount/Lewis as 1&2 with White/Brown/Gaffney/UDFA fighting for the 3rd/4th guys.

This kid from AZ who was an UDFA is very similar to Lewis. He is RB/WR who was projected as a 3rd rd pick before something happened.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By Matt Dolloff, CBS Boston

BOSTON (CBS) — The New England Patriots emerged from the 2016 NFL Draft making nine selections, swinging three trades, and adding a 2017 fourth-round pick to replace the one lost in the team’s DeflateGate penalty. They also dipped heavily into the undrafted free agent pool, signing nine players, according to CSNNE.

Here are the players the Patriots signed after the 2016 NFL Draft:

D.J. Foster, RB/WR, Arizona State
Devonta Burns, S, Texas A&M
De’Runnya Wilson, TE/WR, Miss State
Steven Scheu, TE, Vanderbilt
Woodrow Hamilton, DT, Mississippi State
C.J. Johnson, LB, Mississippi State
V’Angelo Bentley, CB, Illinois
Jonathan Jones, CB, Auburn
Cre’Von LeBlanc, CB, Florida Atlantic

Two takeaways from these signings…

1. Foster has the kind of offensive versatility that Bill Belichick loves and is rarely seen in the NFL. He played both running back and wide receiver at Arizona State, playing three years lining up in the backfield then switching to receiver as a senior. Foster averaged 5.3 yards per carry in his college career and added 222 catches for 2,458 yards with 32 total touchdowns.

2. The Patriots signed four cornerbacks, adding to second-round pick Cyrus Jones, indicating that the team is preparing to develop the future at that position and leaving the status of Malcolm Butler and Logan Ryan – both set to become free agents after the 2017 season – uncertain.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bolden wont go anywhere, he is actually very good on ST. I would look at Bolden at a ST guy who will be the 4th RB in an emergency situation. We no longer have 6 S in which 5 of them were ST guys. SO basically Bolden takes over that role. BB will do what he always does, 2 or 3 RB active with Bolden as the emergency guy. Your looking at Blount/Lewis as 1&2 with White/Brown/Gaffney/UDFA fighting for the 3rd/4th guys.

This kid from AZ who was an UDFA is very similar to Lewis. He is RB/WR who was projected as a 3rd rd pick before something happened.
I'm willlng to wait thru camp. I'm hoping one of the prospects/drafts can replace Bolden's ST play. Time to move on from him IMO. BB likely will carry 3 QBs this year so there is need for a roster spot.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not all, but in true BB tradition a few did.

Yeah it seemed like a lot of them are and will continue to be. I was wrong about Ayers but I still am not too excited for his drafting philosophy

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB cut two players this week..........insignificant, but it does open up two spots on the 90 man roister. Nothing more has been said or written about Arian Foster which pretty much says he's not coming to Foxboro.

ohiopatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are still several pieces of unfinished business left on BB's plate. First, what, if anything, to do about Cannon and Amendola. They are basically reserves yet still account for about $10M in cap space. In order to do something with their contracts, I believe it needs to be done by June 1 to get the best financial impact. Otherwise, trading them might be in the cards. Second, will anything be done to renegotiate/extend the contracts of Hightower, Collins and Butler? They all have one year left on existing deals. Reworking these contracts plus addressing the cap hits of Cannon and Amendola will help to free up some cap space. Several rookies were drafted at LB and CB positions, probably as a buffer against losing some or all of the above three players. Third, what plans are there to reinforce depth at the big running back and offensive tackle positions? These were, strangely, not addressed in the 2016 draft. There have been rumors of Arian Foster making a free agent visit to Foxboro and, if the Pats want to wait, the 2017 draft should be deep at running back. At offensive tackle, I feel that Mike Williams will get a chance to compete for the LT slot. His background is similar to that of Solder (a converted TE). Other than that, Fleming and Waddle are the incumbent reserves.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm willlng to wait thru camp. I'm hoping one of the prospects/drafts can replace Bolden's ST play. Time to move on from him IMO. BB likely will carry 3 QBs this year so there is need for a roster spot.

There is no likely about it. We'll be carrying 3 QB's for the next two years or more. I hated the QB 3rd round pick. A vet back up would of been better than a rookie.

The only things I can think of.....BB signed Brady through age 42. The older you are, the easier you get hurt. So a 3rd QB for the duration of Brady's contract is needed. Or, BB is looking to potentially trade Jimmy G after this season. Especially if he plays well if Brady sits for 4 games. Garoppolo's contract is up after the 2017 season.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no likely about it. We'll be carrying 3 QB's for the next two years or more. I hated the QB 3rd round pick. A vet back up would of been better than a rookie.

The only things I can think of.....BB signed Brady through age 42. The older you are, the easier you get hurt. So a 3rd QB for the duration of Brady's contract is needed. Or, BB is looking to potentially trade Jimmy G after this season. Especially if he plays well if Brady sits for 4 games. Garoppolo's contract is up after the 2017 season.
I wasn't a fan of the pick either. But you never know. He's got talent. Will he put in the time like TB did/does? That could be the difference? Wiess and Parcells think the world of him. Maybe NE found their Brady successor?
Also BB drafts for the future not the present. Like you mentioned it could be insurance for what happens with Jimmy G? There must've been something there for BB going after him. If he can replace Jimmy G. Not that I want to see him go but, it's a fairly small contract for the next four years. Saves cap space which I'm willing to bet was part of BBs plan.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill must have studied every QB available before he decided to take JB. Parcells and Weiss may have helped him, but Belichick rarely, if ever, takes anyone's advice about drafting players. According to reports I've watched about
Bissett, he's very smart, has worked in a pro style offense and understands the type of offense that McDaniels runs and what he wants to do. The kid worked very hard in college and appears to be ready to get to work with Josh as soon as possible.........

Let's get the contract signed and get to work

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the Dola hate. They guy is the 2nd WR on this team. JE11, Dola, Dobson, the other guys have not been here. He maybe 4th/5th in the pecking order behind Gronk, JE, Bennett, Lewis and such, but he is tech the 2nd WR on this team right now. It would cost more to cut him than leave him where he is.

HT and Butler are they guys I think NE targets. Collins is going to get a shit ton of money thrown at him and he knows it. I think that is why BB signed Shea to a 3 yr deal. Collins maybe more athletic, but to be honest he sucks in coverage. They can get both guys done in TC and that would be the best move. I am curious if BB treatment of Butler last off season will come back to bite him in the ass. The kid proved himself again, but ya suspended him from vol workouts. I think the CB to go is Ryan, that is why you see the guys being brought in to compete this yr.

I am starting to think Scars love for Cannon is going to keep him around. I remember it was Scar who wanted to draft him because he saw potential. This one bothers me. The guy is not worth anything close to the money he is getting. IDK....a quite Gillette is usually a productive one....still got time. Once guys start walking out the door and we are sitting tight, then I will worry.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posted May 2, 2016 at 9:10 am
By: Ian Logue

(Portions of this entry appeared in Monday’s daily rundown)

The selection of Ted Karras will go down as one of the more interesting selections during the 2016 Patriots draft, primarily because it’s always fun to have guys who are a little out there, bringing attitude and a bit of an edge with them.

It’s always nice to see a little intensity added to the locker room and Karras certainly brings that. The former standout from Illinois is known for his pregame rituals, where he pours water over his head and yells “like a Viking”, but the thing that was interesting listening to him during his press conference is the fact he’s a guy who has enjoyed what he’s been doing from a young age.

From the time he was young Karras has loved his position and worked hard to grow and bulk up in order to play it well. He spent his days drinking a gallon of milk each day heading into high school as he tried to add weight and put himself in position to continue the family tradition. Karras had seven family members play football in the Big Ten, with four more making it to the NFL. Karras’ achievement this weekend made him number five.

He loves football. He’s tough, and he loves being an offensive lineman. Those are exactly the traits you look for at that position, which should make him a fun guy to follow in the coming months.

“We’re a tough family. We’ve all played and everyone’s an interior lineman,” said Karras during his conference call. “That’s kind of been our MO throughout me growing up. I knew I was going to be a lineman early and they’ve been giving me tips throughout each stage of my career and I’ve been able to deliver so far.”

Playing up front doesn’t exactly get guys a lot of glory, but being a quarterback or a running back never entered Karras’ mind. That’s something you don’t expect to hear from a player, but from the time he started playing at eight years old in third grade, His mind was made up.

“Never. I never had the fantasy of being a quarterback,” said Karras when he was asked about it over the weekend. “I knew from an early age I was going to be a lineman. My first position was nose guard. My first [jersey] number was in the 60s, so it was pretty predetermined for me. I knew what my role was going to be on a football field.”

In a lot of ways he’s sort of reminiscent of former offensive lineman Logan Mankins, who brought a toughness and attitude that made him a great asset during his time in New England. Mankins was a first-round pick while Karras was obviously a late-round selection. The two are obviously very different players, but Karras seems to bring a similar drive.

“I felt I was a leader. I felt I brought a hard-nose attitude,” said Karras. “I worked every day, maybe not considered the most elite athlete but I got the job done and excelled at the job. I not only got the job done but did the job well. That’s kind of how I’ve always been.”

So what he says he lacks in athleticism, he makes up for in hard work and determination. You’ve got to love having a player like that on this football team, and hopefully he’ll be as good or even better than Mankins. In a league where guys who work hard often outlast those who don’t, that should give Karras an opportunity to be successful at the next level.

- See more at: Selection of Karras Brings Some Intensity to the Patriots Offensive Line - PatsFans.com