• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Lineup

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is going to play catcher? It's great to shed salary when you have a serviceable replacement for the guy, but Tuffy Gosewich doesn't really get me excited. He's not a major league caliber talent (but when has that stopped the Dbacks before?)

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not too upset about losing Montero. His production seemed to decline immediately after hr signed that big contract. Would have liked to get more for him, but the salary relief is great.

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dbacks need to find a new catcher, though. I won't be watching this team very much is Tuffy is their main guy.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wade Miley, HE GONE...

D’Backs, Red Sox Have Agreement For Wade Miley Trade

The Diamondbacks and Red Sox have agreed in principle to a trade that will send left-hander Wade Miley to Boston in exchange for right-handers Rubby De La Rosa, Allen Webster and another minor leaguer, FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi report (via Twitter).

This is a pretty good haul for Miley. De La Rosa has good stuff and has the potential to produce better than Miley in 2015. Webster has electric stuff but has control issues. He has front of the rotation stuff & was ranked anywhere between #48-100 in different pre-2014 rankings. The upside is that these guys are pre-arb players, De La Rosa 2016 & Webster 2018, with potential to be as good or better than Miley. The downside is that their stock has fallen(Webster) & that they will be entering their age 26 & 25 seasons in 205.

Overall I really like this deal & if the 3rd player we get in this trade is a top 15 guy, I will be even more enthusiastic about it.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like MLBTR, Ken Rosenthal, and Jon Paul Morosi spoke too soon.

9:31pm: D’Backs GM Dave Stewart denied that a deal was in place between the two sides, saying that they’ve been unable to agree on prospects, USA Today’s Bob Nightingale reports (Twitter links). If a deal is made, however, De La Rosa and Webster will be part of it.

It sounds to me like Stewart is getting greedy, but the basic framework is in place. I applaud Stewart for holding to his guns to get the guy he wants. Hopefully Boston take the bait.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yessss. So happy we got De La Rosa in that trade. He has more upside than Miley and could end up being a steal if he stays healthy. Webster was a top 50 prospect last year as well, so hopefully he can turn things around here.

Such a good deal. Miley, Montero and Didi were all traded with their value somewhat high, unlike KT's "sell-low" trades. Stewart gets an A+ from me.

GAINED: Hellickson, Tomas, Ray, Leyba, De La Rosa, Webster, 2 minor leaguers from Chicago, 1 more unnamed minor leaguer from Boston & financial flexibility.

LOST: Montero, Miley, Didi.

Young pitching, strengthening the farm and shedding salary = perfect offseason.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am really impressed by the front office this season! They set a goal to shed payroll and start rebuilding and they have done just that! We need a big name pitcher in the next two years.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they could get someone to take all of cahill/Ross' salary, I would say that Dave Stewart is a genius!

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade for a catcher!

They're saying Navarro and Avila are both trade options for them. I wouldn't mind either of those two as a stopgap for Peter O'Brien. O'Brien should be up sometime next year and he is a big time power bat.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they could get someone to take all of cahill/Ross' salary, I would say that Dave Stewart is a genius!

The good news is Ross and Cahill will both come off the books next year no matter what even if we fail to trade them we're in great shape to make a big run at a star free agent next offseason.

Pennington and Hernandez also become FA's. So we could end up having an extra $25-30 mil. or more to work with next offseason. Not to mention the money we already saved by dealing Montero and Miley.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd also like to extend Pollock before the season starts because I'm feeling a breakout year coming for him. Could get a steal of a contract like we did with Goldy's extension before his breakout year.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandon McCarthy signed for 4 yrs/$48 million (!) to pitch for the Dodgers. Looks like we will be seeing more of him than we thought.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jason Castro for Addison Reed would be great. Total speculation, but the Astros still want another bullpen arm and they are shopping Castro. A young, left handed hitting catcher with some pop would be nice to throw in the 7-8 hole in the lineup.

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Nick Piecoro, the Diamondbacks are considering going after Scherzer or Shields.

If that is true, and as Davis_Mike said the Diamondbacks first pick in the draft is protected, I would go 100% go after Scherzer. Give him the same contract as Lester with a seventh year as an option to bring the potential contract close to the 200 million he wants. Make it worth a total of 180 million or so. That would be on par with a team such as the Yankees offering him a full 200 million because I imagine the income tax in NY is much higher than AZ. So he would still be earning the same or more per year in AZ as he would in NY even if NY offered more on paper than AZ.

The Diamondbacks should absolutely be able to afford to give Max Scherzer 26 million a year also. Their payroll is already around 100 million, but under Towers they allocated the available resources in horrible fashion. So now make some moves to continue to dump unneeded players like Ross and Cahill. Trade Trumbo if you have to clear more salary cap space. It can be done.

The point of adding Scherzer is that you have a perennial Cy Young candidate every year. The Diamondbacks have not had that since Brandon Webb. Before that they had Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling. You need a true number one guy to actually be a real threat to win the World Series, obviously. Otherwise they are just going to be one of those teams that hopes their young team gets lucky one year and makes a run in the playoffs rather than build a team with expectations to win the World Series. I personally would much rather have a team that expects to compete for the World Series than a team that has no expectations, as I am sure most fans would too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is a Scherzer away from contending. We have some mid-rotation guys to compliment him, but we're just lacking a true ace. Max is a workhorse and absolutely worth it. Shields is not worth it though, I would be upset if they overpaid him.

A rotation of Scherzer, Collmenter, Hellickson, De La Rosa, Webster/Bradley/Blair/Corbin would be pretty solid. Our offense (if healthy) would still be the strength of the team, but if our rotation can give us at least 2-3 good starts out of every 5 games then we're in a much better position to win games. Last year's rotation was a nightmare.

If we land a decent catcher and Scherzer then my expectations would soar for this team. With Ross and Cahill coming off the books next year why not spend now?

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pollock-Owings-Goldy-Trumbo-Tomas is a very nice 1-5. And if guys like Inciarte, Peralta, Hill & Pennington can chip in then we're going to have a dynamic offense.