• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Lineup

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far this is what it looks like...

CF- AJ Pollock
SS- Chris Owings
1B- Paul Goldschmidt
LF- Mark Trumbo
C- Miguel Montero
3B- Yasmany Tomas
2B- Aaron Hill
RF- Ender Inciarte
---------------------
Bench- Cliff Pennington, Nick Ahmed, Jake Lamb, David Peralta, Tuffy Gosewich

Not bad at all. Last year our problem was definitely staying healthy. Pollock, Goldy, Hill, Trumbo and Owings all missed significant time. If they stay relatively healthy and Tomas plays well then this could be a potent offense.

Now... how the hell will the rotation improve.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind signing Francisco Liriano or trading for Jeff Samardzija.

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will improve the rotation by signing more middle of the rotation innings eaters than any other team.

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors are that the Dbacks tried to trade Montero for Ethier. I hope those rumors are false, I can't place much hope in a front offense that tries to make that kind of trade.

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think several of the Diamondbacks players that Towers signed or extended might get traded this offseason. That includes Montero, Trumbo, Ross, Ziegler, and the worst baseball player I have ever seen Trevor Cahill. I doubt anyone would actually trade for Cahill unless the Diamondbacks gave them 100 million dollars so I expect him to just be cut from the team. Then I believe the team will trade for one of the aces available, possibly Samardzija. Chip Hale was his bench coach on the A's last season and I think that might help. I personally would love them to sign Jon Lester but I do not know if that is realistic. Lester does not come with draft pick compensation since he was traded during the middle of the season. So whoever signs him does not lose their first round pick like a team would if they sign Max Scherzer.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors of Miggy to the Cubs.... we'd get 2 lower level pitching prospects, but the main gain for us would be that Chicago would eat all of his salary. Not sure how to feel about it, but if we use the money saved wisely and find a halfway decent replacement behind the plate then this could turn out well for us.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still hoping to trade or sign for a frontline starter... I also want to keep Trumbo. No point of selling low on him.

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am all for trading Montero if it saves the Diamondbacks money and they use it to sign a big name free agent pitcher. I know there were reports they were interested in James Shields as well as Kenta Maeda from Japan per this article: D'Backs Notes: Maeda, Billingsley, Montero

If the Diamondbacks are able to free up salary by getting rid of Montero, Ross, and/or Cahill's horrible contract, they should have more than enough money available to give one of the top free agent pitchers out there 20+ million a year. I would much rather spend a huge chunk of salary on a front line starter than spread it out to mediocre or bad players.

By the way, it sure looks like the Justin Upton trade really did not work out for either the Diamondbacks or Braves. Pretty crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can totally see the new front office trying to erase everything from the Towers era. Hill, Cahill, Montero, and Trumbo could very well be gone by Spring Training.

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume he means Chris Johnson in that tweet? Anyways, Upton will never be the superstar that he was hyped to be.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember that whole "Up Up and a Hey" campaign with the Upton bros and Jason Heyward? :pound:

EVERYONE thought that was going to be the best OF in baseball... now... there likely won't be any of those three in their OF next season.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montero is gone. Not too upset about it either, he's on the decline and getting rid of his contract will help clear up space to go after another big name free agent. Good to see LaRussa and Stewart cleaning up the mess that Kevin Towers left.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miguel Montero has been traded to the Cubs for low level prospects. The Cubs will assume all of Montero's salary. The Diamondbacks are also in talks with the Rangers for a trade involving Miley and/or Cahill. Source: Texas Rangers eyeing Arizona pitching | Dallas Morning News That would be amazing to get rid of them.

It would be awesome to get rid of Cahill, but I'm guessing we'd have to include Miley in a trade with him to get it done. Miley is a pretty valuable trade asset and if we could get back a decent prospect AND shed Cahill's contract then it's a no brainer imo.

We already have a bunch of no. 3-4 starters on our team. So if we got rid of those two then that would open up the door to a Shields-Billingsley combo signing which is my prediction. Even after that we'd still have enough to go after a solid reliever or two.

I wonder if they keep clearing up space if they make a surprise run after Max Scherzer. If not Max, then the Maeda guy from Japan could be a realistic target.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to bring up Stryker Trahan!!!!

Jk I think they moved him to Of.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am all for trading Montero if it saves the Diamondbacks money and they use it to sign a big name free agent pitcher. I know there were reports they were interested in James Shields as well as Kenta Maeda from Japan per this article: D'Backs Notes: Maeda, Billingsley, Montero

If the Diamondbacks are able to free up salary by getting rid of Montero, Ross, and/or Cahill's horrible contract, they should have more than enough money available to give one of the top free agent pitchers out there 20+ million a year. I would much rather spend a huge chunk of salary on a front line starter than spread it out to mediocre or bad players.

By the way, it sure looks like the Justin Upton trade really did not work out for either the Diamondbacks or Braves. [MEDIA=twitter]542170275819700224[/MEDIA] Pretty crazy.

Don't they mean Chris Johnson, not Kelly? Referring to the tweet.

Last edited by a moderator:

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I think the tweet meant to say Chris Johnson, not Kelly Johnson. As far as a surprise run to get Max Scherzer, I am all for that. However, if the Diamondbacks signed him, they would be forfeiting the number one pick in the draft to the Tigers. I am not sure the organization would want to do that. However, he is a true ace and I am all for getting him because there is no guarantee draft picks will work out. I would honestly give him whatever he wants too. All the real contending teams have pitchers on their roster that make 20+ million a year. It is just the way it goes nowadays. The Diamondbacks had to give Randy Johnson an enormous contract when Colangelo signed him in those days' standards. How'd that work out? Pretty good I would say.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I think the tweet meant to say Chris Johnson, not Kelly Johnson. As far as a surprise run to get Max Scherzer, I am all for that. However, if the Diamondbacks signed him, they would be forfeiting the number one pick in the draft to the Tigers. I am not sure the organization would want to do that. However, he is a true ace and I am all for getting him because there is no guarantee draft picks will work out. I would honestly give him whatever he wants too. All the real contending teams have pitchers on their roster that make 20+ million a year. It is just the way it goes nowadays. The Diamondbacks had to give Randy Johnson an enormous contract when Colangelo signed him in those days' standards. How'd that work out? Pretty good I would say.

The top 10 picks are protected. That would mean the Tigers would get our 2nd round pick if we signed Scherzer, but that is not going to happen. Boras is looking for $200+ mil over 7 years for him. That's $28.5 mil a year on the low end. The Dbacks can't come anywhere near that number.

Max Scherzer Looking For $200MM+ Contract

I would expect 2015 to be a year where the young guys get some seasoning while we ride out the rest of Cahill's & Ross' contract. That will free up about $23 mil in 2016. That puts at about $65 mil for 2016. There are potentially a couple of front line SP(s) available in 2016, Price & a few others.

It looks like Miley is on his way out. The rumors have it that the offers the Diamondbacks have received for Miley are significant, increasing the likelihood of a deal. Miley is at best, a #3 SP. I would trade him in a heartbeat if we get back some good players closed to MLB ready. We have plenty of #3-6 SP pitchers who can fill Miley's role.

Red Sox, Marlins Interested In Wade Miley

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The top 10 picks are protected. That would mean the Tigers would get our 2nd round pick if we signed Scherzer, but that is not going to happen. Boras is looking for $200+ mil over 7 years for him. That's $28.5 mil a year on the low end. The Dbacks can't come anywhere near that number.

Max Scherzer Looking For $200MM+ Contract

I would expect 2015 to be a year where the young guys get some seasoning while we ride out the rest of Cahill's & Ross' contract. That will free up about $23 mil in 2016. That puts at about $65 mil for 2016. There are potentially a couple of front line SP(s) available in 2016, Price & a few others.

It looks like Miley is on his way out. The rumors have it that the offers the Diamondbacks have received for Miley are significant, increasing the likelihood of a deal. Miley is at best, a #3 SP. I would trade him in a heartbeat if we get back some good players closed to MLB ready. We have plenty of #3-6 SP pitchers who can fill Miley's role.

Red Sox, Marlins Interested In Wade Miley

Yeah, after seeing his asking price I would like to withdraw my previous statement of making a surprise run after him... :whistle: