• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Draft

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Use this thread to talk about draft prospects, post your player wish lists, mock drafts etc. Here is a quick rundown of the needs (feel free to add more):

OLB: They need to ignite the pass rush, not to mention depth. Worilds (FA) will likely ask for $25-30mil contract. Not worth the money. Moats is a FA and can be resigned for cheaper. JJ is underwhelming at this point. They might need help fast if they opt not to sign Worilds.

CB: Obviously a big need. Taylor probably wont be resigned. McCain should be resigned. Blake is a UFA, so maybe. Last season they should have double-dipped, but didn't... So I'm expecting it is a MUST this draft.

OT/OG
Foster's eventual replacement, unless they see Wallace as that guy. But I'd like a big OT so they could move Beachum inside.

TE
Heath's nearing the end. Spaeth is a FA. Blanchflower (PS) will take time to groom.

S
Allen & Golden are FA's. Poly is likely to retire or get released (large cap #). Mitchell is underwhelming.

Again, this is more of a thread for individual prospect discussions. For those that don't follow college football then this is a good place to learn about players entering the draft.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
456202596-trae-waynes-of-the-michigan-state-spartans-gettyimages.jpg

Michigan State CB, TRAE WAYNES
(6'1" 186lbs)

40-yd time: 4.4's

BTSC writeup:
Waynes is a long, athletic and smart cornerback who has no issues providing run support and can cover well down the field. Too much gets made this time of the year about specific schemes played in college and zone vs. man coverage. In the end, every pass defender is covering someone. The key isn't his assignment, it's his movement. How well can be change directions? How fluid is he coming in and out of breaks? Cornerbacks are short-field, short burst athletes. Waynes, in a press man coverage scheme at Michigan State, shows he's capable of coverage in any scheme, and could find his way on the field early as a Steeler.

Waynes is probably going to be the top 1 or 2 CB prospects in the draft. So to say he will be on the board @22 is a bit of a stretch. But if he is there, then he is a great prospect. What I am looking for is a quick & physical CB. Waynes has the perfect size, and has shown great ability in both coverage and run support. He has great awareness, technique and he's smart. I guarantee some of the talking heads will be comparing him to Richard Sherman one way or another.

waynes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
0990608001410957575_filepicker.jpg

Clemson OLB/DE, VIC BEASLEY
(6'3 240lbs)

40-yd time: 4.6-4.7's

BTSC writeup:
Clemson DE Vic Beasley had loads of success as an edge rusher in college. Doing against collegiate competition obviously isn't the same as going against hardened NFL veterans, but viewing where he is now is a limitation on where he could be with some work. Beasley's an exceptional athlete, and will likely test well at the combine. There's a lot to be said about a pass rusher's first step, and Beasley's is already working at a high level. Easily his best trait as a prospect, Beasley fires off the ball well, and he's also relentless. He plays with aggression, and his game is definitely more speed than strength at this point in his career (read: this likely isn't a player who comes in and plays 90 percent of the Steelers' snaps in 2015, but he could be used situationally as a pass rusher right away). But he doesn't quit, and that has to count for something.

Beasley is a raw edge rushing talent sort of like what Anthony Barr was going into LY's draft. With Butler shifting to more of a 4-3 hybrid scheme we will need fast & athletic specimens for OLB's. This kid is fast & disruptive. I know he has struggled in run coverage, but that job will be handed to the D-line when they are in 4-3. He is very strong for his size, and has great lateral range. Perfect for the job!

gasack.gif

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OLB...slash smallish DEs...My 3-4 OLB pick is Dante Fowler from FL...he has the body type, and explosion to play early and be effective...probably won't be there @ 22 though.

I think we're going to see more 4 DL fronts this year...having a guy like Dupree from KY, or Orchard from Utah coming off the edge is intriguing to me...both remind me a little of Ezekial Ansah from DET...opposite Heyward...and put Moats in at LOLB in the 3-4 fronts.

Beasley...I saw the Clemson vs GA Tech...probably his worse game, and also vs UGA...met Gurley in the backfield twice 1 on 1, and once in the hole, and could not bring him down either time...closing speed is incredible...I see him a lot like Shazier and Spence.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB...many are saying this class is rather weak for true impact guys, but with so many teams needed CBs imo at least 3 maybe 4 will go in the 1st rd.

Would love to have Waynes...but @ 22, very doubtful he will be on the board..one good thing about this draft is we again pick ahead of BAL...at least for rookie play, they got the best of the ILBs last year, lets hope PIT gets the better CB because we know they need CB help too.

I like PJ Williams from FSU if Waynes is off the board. Ideally what I would like to see here is to take the money for Worilds and Troy and go after Maxwell from SEA and then take Kevin Johnson from Wake Forest in round 2...I know Kiper is mocking him to PIT @ 22, but a bit slight to go in the 1st rd imo. Has the frame to put on 15-20 lbs and play around 190 to 195 or so.

A project I would take a chance on in the 3rd rd is Eric Rowe...Utah...he might not make it at CB, 4.3 ish speed and has S background with the frame to add 10 lbs and move to FS.

Curious about Quinten Rollins from MIA of OH...mid major school guys have a lot to prove...hungrier.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OT...I'd like a stud LT and let Beech take over for Foster to get that power run play with the OG pulling going left and right...but I'm not sure if there is a LT in the 1st rd...the reports on Scherff is better suited for RT.

I have to say though...Peat from Stanford is intriguing to me....you know Stanford guys have some degree of intelligence and I like their physical style of play...if no edge rusher is on the board and we get Maxwell in FA, I would consider this player @ 22.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TE...yeah I have no clue what Branchflower is...the hybrid athletic pass catching TE is not really what Haley wants or needs really now with Bryant showing good form in the RZ...but Heath Miller clones are hard to find...the only guy I've really seem much of is Jack's grandson Nick O'Leary but he might be a bit small for the AFCN...curious about Jesse James from PSU.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
S...I think Mitchell will play much better this yr w/o Troy...he had so much freelance freedom under LeBeau that it takes more than 1 season of playing with him to know exactly what you should be doing...he might not have that kind of freedom under Butler...$8.4 mil cap hit in '15...saves $3.75 mil if released or retires. I get the sense that he might call it a career.

No one excites me in the 1st rd...2nd or 3rd.

Cody Prewitt from Ole Miss I saw vs AL and vs Miss St...it might take a season or so to be NFL ready, but I like his game...not a bruiser type but sure tackler.

Gerod Holliman...Lousiville...can't say I saw much of him, one game...more in the mold of past Steeler FS...wants to lay you out. I saw 1 mock of him going to PIT in the 1st...imo not 1st rd material.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB...Ben will be resigned to a Steeler for life contract and Gradkowski is UC for next year, but imo it's time to let Landry go.

While I'm not anxious to take a QB, but if a kid drops...like Sean Mannion from Ore St...I would have to consider it in the 4th or 5th.

RB...I'm fine with Josh Harris being the backup but injury is always a concern at this position...TJ Yeldon from AL...I've always liked him more as a pro than the previous Bama RBs...can be a Bell clone.

Mike Davis, S. CAR...different type of build from Bell...would remind you of Maurice Jones-Drew...runs low, good power, has the wheels to take it to the house...more moves than you might expect with his body type.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TE...yeah I have no clue what Branchflower is...the hybrid athletic pass catching TE is not really what Haley wants or needs really now with Bryant showing good form in the RZ...but Heath Miller clones are hard to find...the only guy I've really seem much of is Jack's grandson Nick O'Leary but he might be a bit small for the AFCN...curious about Jesse James from PSU.

I've been reading about Minnesota's Maxx Williams. Looks like an intriguing prospect. Good hands, large frame. In the mold of Heath Miller, but his blocking needs work.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious about Quinten Rollins from MIA of OH...mid major school guys have a lot to prove...hungrier.

Heard great things about Rollins as well. Supposedly he "shined" in the Senior Bowl. I'll try to do a writeup on him

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
evc_20141125_Ohio_vs_Miami_OH_218298.jpg

Miami (OH), CB QUINTEN ROLLINS

(6'0" 203lbs)

40-yd time: 4.4's

NFLDraftScout writeup:
Rollins is a fluid, natural athlete with excellent foot quickness and make-up speed to mirror receivers up and down the field. He displays good plant-and-drive burst with change-of-direction skills to redirect his momentum quickly. Built well for the position with moldable traits, Rollins is a tough run defender and shows solid mechanics for his inexperience. He has a short memory and bounces back nicely from mistakes, exuding confidence on the field. Rollins has terrific ballskills with accurate tracking and timing to get his hands on the ball.

Rollins has only one year of experience on the football field since high school and is admittedly raw in several aspects of the game. He is still learning technique and tendencies at the position and needs to better develop his route recognition. Rollins isn't well versed with his backpedal and tends to flip his hips at the line of scrimmage, losing sight of the ball and focusing on the wide receiver off the snap. He plays a lot of press, but doesn't make contact near the line of scrimmage and needs coached up with his jam technique.

Looks like a great player to me. Watched some highlight footage and he is the real deal. His only knocks are his inexperience, but he's a quick learner. I'd be comfortable taking a shot on him as high as the 2nd rd.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB...Colbert really needs to deliver in this offseason if the Steelers are to take another step towards #7. If no legit pass rusher, starting caliber S, or LT is on the board...he might reach a little for a CB @ 22.

In the same vein...there is quite a bit of support to release C. Allen and save the $1.6 mil against the cap...my thoughts.

Notable projected dead money against the '15 cap...Woodley has $8.5 mil, cutting Troy will save $3.7 mil but accelerate $4.5 mil in dead money...if Allen is cut...PIT saves $1.581 mil but bring $5.4 mil in dead money...that's over $18 mil of cap space in dead money...can they afford to do that?

Your thoughts?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers Depot has a profile on Rollins today. They also project him as a 1-early 2 rd guy. He must really be impressive - its almost unheard of in my mind for a player that raw to be projected that early.

Love the comment: "Above average See-to-Do".

2015 NFL Draft Player Profiles: Miami (OH) CB Quinten Rollins

I saw that...this browser doesn't allow cut and pasting for some reason...I have a feeling if he runs a good time at the combine he will shoot up the board.

Another guy I'm intrigued by but know very little about, DE/OLB Nate Orchard is playing in the Sr. Bowl...of course the Steelers have a crew down there.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rollins kids will be at the Sr. Bowl as well...they media type are gushing over his highlight tape...I can see Colbert going for this kid @ 22.

Muddler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another guy I'm intrigued by but know very little about, DE/OLB Nate Orchard is playing in the Sr. Bowl...of course the Steelers have a crew down there.

Good call on Orchard. I've watched him in a couple games here in Pac12 Country. 6'3" 250. Dominant player for Utah. Would fit real nice as a Steeler OLB.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone know anything about this UCF cat that is declaring early... Jacoby Glenn. He's a sophomore CB.

6'0" 186

2013 RedShirt Freshman year:
52 Tackles, 2 Forced Fumbles, 2 Int's, 15 Passes defended, 2 sacks

FWAA Freshman All American

2014 RedShirt Sophomore year:
48 tackles, 1 Forced Fumble, 7 Int's, 18 Passes defended, 1 sack

AP All America 2nd Team

Pretty epic stats for Freshman & Sophomore seasons. Declaring early probably isn't the smartest move, but could be worth a later round look? Especially since he's part of the lesser known AAC. Might not garner a whole lot of attention.

Last edited by a moderator:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good find...seems like the kid was turning some heads...I watched part of the GA Tech / Miami game, but can't recall much of him. But reading the report it seems like he would be a welcome addition to the Steelers.

I see the name Max Williams a lot, but haven't seen him play. This clearly is another "need" position as Heath is probably on his last season in '15 at a better than average performance level.