• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-16 Flyers First Quarterpole Roundup

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Record: 6-9-5(17 points)
ROW: 5(tied for worst in NHL with Toronto)
GF/GA: 35/58(-23)
Home Record: 3-4-3
Road Record: 3-5-2
Leading Scorer: Claude Giroux - 13 points(6-7-13, -5, 2 PPG)
Goalies: Steve Mason/Michal Neuvirth - 3 Wins Each

After 20 games, what grade would you give the Flyers? I'd give them a -C because they started out real well and then late last month they really started to struggle and they haven't recovered since - Michal Neuvirth has been a saving grace for this team and if not for some of his huge games, they're in an even worse position - they trail the second wild card by six points

The offense has certainly been a bugaboo as they have the least amount of goals in the entire league with 35 - ironic that they haven't won a game at home since the game against the Rangers and after that game was when the struggles truly began

Forwards: D: They have the worst offense in the league and there have been a lot of underachievers - Claude Giroux could heat up later in the season but he's only on pace for 50-55 points - Jake Voracek has ONE goal through 20 games and Wayne Simmonds is tied for a team worst -11 - Sam Gagner(17 games, +1) and R.J. Umberger(11 games, +3) are the only two Flyers with a positive plus/minus

Defensemen: C-: They're not a group that you want going forward, however their plus minus isn't very bad - Luke Schenn/Radko Gudas/Evgeny Medvedev -2 each and Nick Schultz/Brandon Manning -1 each aren't playing well by any means but at least they're not a -11 or -4 like MDZ or Mark Streit respectively - Ghost has come in and helped shore things up somewhat although it will take a lot more than Ghost to help repair this stricken blueline

Goaltending: B: For the most part, they've been very reliable and have given the Flyers the small amount of hope they may have left at this point in the season - Neuvy has been a terrific signing as he has three shutouts against three tough teams(Panthers, Blackhawks and Jets) and has even played very well in most of the losses - Steve Mason had some struggles(on/off the ice) early on but lately he's made some improvements and with his play on the upward swing, the Flyers give theirselves a fighting chance on a nightly basis with this goaltending duo

Coaching: B-: Considering the slop that Dave Hakstol has been given in his first go-around in the NHL, I think he's done real well - he only gets a B- because of the record of this team, but if this team found a way to win more games, I'd bump it up to at least a B - he's done everything he could with this team and I enjoy his positive outlook in which he doesn't blast his players publicly and he makes smart, sound decisions - he realizes the only way to get out of these struggles are to continue working hard and eventually good things will happen if you stick to the system - the Flyers have a smart, level-headed coach that I'm glad is on board to help right this team

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure how to look at the forwards. While everyone is not scoring and on paper it is pretty unimpressive core, even Giroux isn't scoring. That to me is a sign that something bigger might be wrong. Regardless, Couturier hasn't taken the next step, Simmonds and Raffl have been unimpressive, Voracek is slumping hard, Read seems to have left himself in 2014, and Schenn is still inconsistent.

The defense gets a failing grade just because they truly are as mediocre and bad as they are on paper. Streit hasn't been himself. Schultz hasn't been as serviceable as he was last year. We know what Luke is at this point. Manning...lol. At least Radko kills a few people each game. Medvedev would be a nice addition but he seems to have been forgotten about. At least Ghost is giving us a beautiful, silky smooth skating view of the future. You've got to wonder what happens with him when Streit gets back.

Goaltending gets a solid A. I'd be worried about Mason's play, but he started off in Tampa great and has been fine recently. Not to mention we know there was some sort of off ice issue that was likely hindering his play. Between that and his track record the past few seasons, Mason gets the benefit of the doubt. Neuvirth has been great and the upgrade from Emery to him cannot be understated.

Hakstol falls in lines with the forwards, too many questions marks to properly evaluate at this time. College coach in over his head or NHL calibre coach trying to implement a system with little to work with?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure how to look at the forwards. While everyone is not scoring and on paper it is pretty unimpressive core, even Giroux isn't scoring. That to me is a sign that something bigger might be wrong. Regardless, Couturier hasn't taken the next step, Simmonds and Raffl have been unimpressive, Voracek is slumping hard, Read seems to have left himself in 2014, and Schenn is still inconsistent.

The defense gets a failing grade just because they truly are as mediocre and bad as they are on paper. Streit hasn't been himself. Schultz hasn't been as serviceable as he was last year. We know what Luke is at this point. Manning...lol. At least Radko kills a few people each game. Medvedev would be a nice addition but he seems to have been forgotten about. At least Ghost is giving us a beautiful, silky smooth skating view of the future. You've got to wonder what happens with him when Streit gets back.

Goaltending gets a solid A. I'd be worried about Mason's play, but he started off in Tampa great and has been fine recently. Not to mention we know there was some sort of off ice issue that was likely hindering his play. Between that and his track record the past few seasons, Mason gets the benefit of the doubt. Neuvirth has been great and the upgrade from Emery to him cannot be understated.

Hakstol falls in lines with the forwards, too many questions marks to properly evaluate at this time. College coach in over his head or NHL calibre coach trying to implement a system with little to work with?

It starts and ends with the power play - they're not scoring enough on their opportunities and that hurts their momentum - Claude Giroux had a lot of PPG's last season and that's why him and Jake had a lot of points - naturally, as the power play struggles, their point totals go down so that's a huge reason - besides that, this roster is largely the same as last season so I think it comes down to a lack of execution

I would like to see Evgeny Medvedev back in the lineup but I think even after this one game against Ottawa where they didn't look so great, they might stick with this current six on defense based on how they were good defensively in three games previous

I probably could give them a solid A as well but I think it has taken Mase a few more games to get going - B is still pretty good all things considered

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's just no creativity or energy about the team when they're attacking. I think Berube and now Hakstol have completely eliminated that from the offense. It's not without base, they're doing it to cover up the weak defensive core, but it's completely stifled the offense. They take almost no risks to make a pretty play to set guys up in prime scoring positions. Almost all the goals come from either the PP, or someone driving the net for a rebound. How many 2 on 1s have the flyers had this season? How many breakaways? How many times has a Flyers player dangled around someone and driven the net hard for scoring chance? You just don't see that when you watch the Flyers. The only odd man rushes they get are in overtime when there's only 3 guys on the ice. Everyone (except Ghost) seems to play afraid of getting caught up the ice. To me that's a result of either coaching, or a lack of team speed. In this case, I think it's both.

Forwards - F (last in the league in goals, it's the only grade they can get)

Defense - D (Ghost and LSchenn are the only 2 keepers at this point in the season to me, though I expect LSchenn will be gone)

Goaltending - A (Take out the 7-1 loss and Mase is down to 2.85 GAA / .911 sv%, and Nuevy's numbers are stellar. They deserve an A collectively)

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forwards -D Nobody is getting points. We either shoot into the defenseman's legs or shoot at the bottom of the net and when a goalie takes that away we are lost. We don't have any snipers we are a pretty soft offense.

Defense C- not bad for what the talent level is. Luke Schenn quietly have a half decent season

Goalie A if it weren't for both of these guys we may be looking at drafting the first player in next years draft

Coaching C- He is just OK so far I would give him a higher grade but our scoring dropped to worst in the league under his system.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forwards: D No one is scoring. No one is driving the net consistently. There is no pressure in the offensive zone and the back check isn't good enough by a long shot. This applies to all of the lines.

Defense: D- The only reason it isn't an F is the performance of Ghost and the at least effort shown by Schenn and Gudas. Del Zotto looks even worse than he did 5 games ago. Schultz is being over extended and exposed and his game is not up to the minutes.

Goal: A- Both have shown flashes of excellence and accept for the one game in Florida they have not been the reason for a loss.

Coaching: C- Can't really wrap my head around what system Hakstol is trying to run. His college teams swarmed in the offensive zone and played tight team defense. The Flyers DON"T swarm in ANY zone. The special teams have regressed. Yes, they are playing a little better lately but that may be more down to Ghost than anything.

I knew this team was going to struggle, but I had at least hoped they would compete. The utter and complete lack of compete is the most discouraging thing. I am afraid the Flyers will be in the lottery but as long as they are capped out and showing no signs of making any moves that that could help or at least cut out the dead wood. This year is going to be painful.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forwards: D No one is scoring. No one is driving the net consistently. There is no pressure in the offensive zone and the back check isn't good enough by a long shot. This applies to all of the lines.

Defense: D- The only reason it isn't an F is the performance of Ghost and the at least effort shown by Schenn and Gudas. Del Zotto looks even worse than he did 5 games ago. Schultz is being over extended and exposed and his game is not up to the minutes.

Goal: A- Both have shown flashes of excellence and accept for the one game in Florida they have not been the reason for a loss.

Coaching: C- Can't really wrap my head around what system Hakstol is trying to run. His college teams swarmed in the offensive zone and played tight team defense. The Flyers DON"T swarm in ANY zone. The special teams have regressed. Yes, they are playing a little better lately but that may be more down to Ghost than anything.

I knew this team was going to struggle, but I had at least hoped they would compete. The utter and complete lack of compete is the most discouraging thing. I am afraid the Flyers will be in the lottery but as long as they are capped out and showing no signs of making any moves that that could help or at least cut out the dead wood. This year is going to be painful.

Hard to have your forwards swarming in the offensive zone when you don't have a capable defense - you need d-men that can be offensive and make plays - until the young guys come up it will be hard to run the system he wants - the system has to be based on the type of players you have

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forwards: D. No one is scoring with a lot of indecisiveness and paralysis.

Defense: D-. Real close to an F. Except for say Ghost and say a Schenn, this would be a definite "F".

Goal: A-. Both goalies come to play every night and are keeping us in games by covering all the other problems with good games.

Coaching: D+. I thought Hakstol was going to be the guy to erase Berube's memory but he has has done little in that department. We aren't aggressive, we don't score much, and we don't do D apparently. The STs have returned to their former inept state. The PP has never got off the ground either. I am not sure what Hakstol is doing at this juncture.