• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 UDFAs

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st rd picks SHOULD BE NO-BRAINERS even if it's at #32.. there's plenty of talent to make the correct draft choice even that late.

Not all of them. But every year, there is always about 4-6 blue chippers that are no brain selections. I mean, Millenhew drafted Fairley when Robert Quinn was a much easier selection.

Almost every analyst said this was "the deepest draft in memory" but in about 4 years. I bet they will be changing their tune.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rollingthndr said:
Not all of them. But every year, there is always about 4-6 blue chippers that are no brain selections. I mean, Millenhew drafted Fairley when Robert Quinn was a much easier selection.

Almost every analyst said this was "the deepest draft in memory" but in about 4 years. I bet they will be changing their tune.

I see where u r coming from but th fact remains all prospects are suspect until proven otherwise, like 3 years after draft. I was just commenting, Mayhew had to know the issues with Fairley but HE chose to go against what was straight in his face. the risk should never have been taken. Quinn was a risk also being out of football 4 a yr due to academic/booster fraud. He could have bypassed on either or moved down. Quinn was lights out at combine and wasn't considered hot-n-cold motor, he was just out of FB 4 one year, still a risk that paid off astronomically for the rams.

you do the research and don't stray, the pick should validate itself by/before 3 years, JMO

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do. The guy is still a stud and a top 5 arm talent in the NFL. Millenhew is responsible because he got all emotional after the 10 win season and re-signed Schwartz when CLEARLY the team was out of control and got lucky as hell with a bunch of fluky, come from behind wins. Then got exposed big time by the Saints.

Schwartz had 1 year left on his deal. Millenhew should of demanded the team be more in control and fix Staffords mechanics. Instead of demanding improvement, he got swept up in the hype. That really is the last thing you want out of a GM.

Don't get me started on the Schwartz contract extension. There isn't a bigger hater of this front office on this board than I am. They are a joke.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm not mistaken didn't Zanders almost jet for Miami or some other team........Fuck Suhs contract, hell that will free up cap space........The Lions might want to keep an eye on Zanders, his contract will mean more too the Lions then Suhs.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dr. Evil-er said:
Do you think Stafford has played at the level you would expect from the #1 overall pick?

Personally I don't but I can't hold Millenhew responsible there because he was the obvious pick that you just had to make.

Rollingthndr said:
I do. The guy is still a stud and a top 5 arm talent in the NFL. Millenhew is responsible because he got all emotional after the 10 win season and re-signed Schwartz when CLEARLY the team was out of control and got lucky as hell with a bunch of fluky, come from behind wins. Then got exposed big time by the Saints.

Schwartz had 1 year left on his deal. Millenhew should of demanded the team be more in control and fix Staffords mechanics. Instead of demanding improvement, he got swept up in the hype. That really is the last thing you want out of a GM.

Stafford may be considered by some as top 5 arm talent but he's the same mess now as he was in H.S. and at Georgia. Georgia had O.C./QB Coach Mike Bobo ( an ex-qb 4 Georgia) and there wasn't any regime the kid was ever on to improve mechanics, i.e. footwork. Stafford is of the Bret Favre academy, Gunslinger first, and I do not have confidence in seeing much improvement, even with Jim Bob pootie-tang as his qb coach. But Rolling, you're absolutely right in that Mayhew made the magnanimous mistake in giving Schwartz that extension on 5 miraculous comeback wins that should never be a tell-tale sign that you've passed the corner, yet. Fluky wins is absolutely correct for the sole fact you cannot/should not see that as an every year occurrence. It was Mayhew's job, indeed, to demand from Schwartz to hire an actual qb coach, no if's ands or buts. he didn't do that and it's his failure.

Schwartz was never HC material, BTW. (Schwartz DC yes, HC Hell NO)

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see where u r coming from but th fact remains all prospects are suspect until proven otherwise, like 3 years after draft. I was just commenting, Mayhew had to know the issues with Fairley but HE chose to go against what was straight in his face. the risk should never have been taken. Quinn was a risk also being out of football 4 a yr due to academic/booster fraud. He could have bypassed on either or moved down. Quinn was lights out at combine and wasn't considered hot-n-cold motor, he was just out of FB 4 one year, still a risk that paid off astronomically for the rams.

you do the research and don't stray, the pick should validate itself by/before 3 years, JMO

Yeah, I see what you mean about the 3 year thing. But let's say both players had red flags (which they did). It should come down to position value.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
themuzzer said:
If I'm not mistaken didn't Zanders almost jet for Miami or some other team........Fuck Suhs contract, hell that will free up cap space........The Lions might want to keep an eye on Zanders, his contract will mean more too the Lions then Suhs.

Miami it was....almost.. need to keep him in Detroit...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rollingthndr said:
Yeah, I see what you mean about the 3 year thing. But let's say both players had red flags (which they did). It should come down to position value.

DE trumps that all day... every day... but technically speaking both having red-flags, he should have traded down.

A 1st rd pick should not be a risk and last year taking Ziggy at #5 overall, having only 1 yr full-time experience playing, was a HUGE risk, and to date he's lucky it has paid off. remember Suh put up his best stats in his rookie year then regressed stat wise. the same could occur for Ziggy. Big difference 1 yr playing football versus guys having played the game since they were kids and thinking they would have more knowledge of the game. Ziggy had no clue what football was. He played soccer as a kid in Africa. Lucky so far with Ziggy but still a Huge risk as a 1st rd pick yet alone a top 5 pick, regardless of his freakish athleticism and the coaching staff having worked with him one on one at the Senior Bowl. I'm glad he's a Lion but he's not a sure thing to date.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Rolling, you're absolutely right in that Mayhew made the magnanimous mistake in giving Schwartz that extension on 5 miraculous comeback wins that should never be a tell-tale sign that you've passed the corner, yet. Fluky wins is absolutely correct for the sole fact you cannot/should not see that as an every year occurrence. It was Mayhew's job, indeed, to demand from Schwartz to hire an actual qb coach, no if's ands or buts. he didn't do that and it's his failure.

Schwartz was never HC material, BTW. (Schwartz DC yes, HC Hell NO)

It is easy for us to look in hindsight. But I remember watching them play the Saints in the regular and the NBC announcers who don't know jack shit about the Lions were like "Wow, this team is really out of control and undisciplined". When it is that blatant and obvious to regular schmos that Schwartz had no control over his players. The GM should of CLEARLY seen it. Along with the fluky wins.

Good GM: OK, great season last season. Let's build on this... Get the team under control and improve Stafford's mechanics right and you will be a rich man.

Clown GM: Yippie Skippie, we just made the playoffs for the first time in 500 years. Here is 4 more years and 25 million, you don't have to prove anymore.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DE trumps that all day... every day... but technically speaking both having red-flags, he should have traded down.

A 1st rd pick should not be a risk and last year taking Ziggy at #5 overall, having only 1 yr full-time experience playing, was a HUGE risk, and to date he's lucky it has paid off. remember Suh put up his best stats in his rookie year then regressed stat wise. the same could occur for Ziggy. Big difference 1 yr playing football versus guys having played the game since they were kids and thinking they would have more knowledge of the game. Ziggy had no clue what football was. He played soccer as a kid in Africa. Lucky so far with Ziggy but still a Huge risk as a 1st rd pick yet alone a top 5 pick, regardless of his freakish athleticism and the coaching staff having worked with him one on one at the Senior Bowl. I'm glad he's a Lion but he's not a sure thing to date.

To be honest. I would of took him at #5 as well. It was the player I wanted all along. I think he has a much better chance than Fairley. Fairley was also a 1 year wonder who was an idiot with very questionable work habits. Nobody really knew who the hell he was before that 1 awesome season at Auburn.

You could be right about him regressing and that side of the coin makes sense to me but I doubt it. Based on a couple things. 1) He is highly intelligent and probably knows how damn lucky he is to be playing football for a living and 2) He is "One of the freaks" who is so athletic he could have average work ethic and still be very good.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forbes was the answer, by the way. You don't often see Forbes as the source for a player's 40 time...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zanders is like the a backup quarterback to NORMAL franchises. Makes me smile I tell you. I'll go nuts if we have yet another GM who worked under the last shitty one. (We will,...... that was just foreshadowing)

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zanders is like the a backup quarterback to NORMAL franchises. Makes me smile I tell you. I'll go nuts if we have yet another GM who worked under the last shitty one. (We will,...... that was just foreshadowing)

Zanders = Ausmus....I feel it can you?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think Stafford has played at the level you would expect from the #1 overall pick?

Personally I don't but I can't hold Millenhew responsible there because he was the obvious pick that you just had to make.

(Steps in the room) Hell yeah he has. He's better than Luck.
(Leaves immediately)

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(Steps back in) Stafford has breakdowns with his mechanics. Plus, he takes a lot of risk.

(Hops along)

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couplin to start Monday Night? Ruh-roh Shaggy.

I like the kid's potential, and he's a great tackler, but is his coverage ready for this level? I can't imagine that it is this early on in his transition small college to the bigs...

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manning should toss for 300 plus. Fortunately the lions offense should be able to overcome that.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manning should toss for 300 plus. Fortunately the lions offense should be able to overcome that.

Could actually be good it is against Eli. IMO the Giants offense will click just not soon enough to beat the Lions. Unless Ben McAdoo has suddenly become a LInehan.