• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 UDFAs

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All things aside, do you not agree that Greenwood looked pretty good out there when he finally saw the field? Don't remember who it was against, but he tomahawked a short/medium pass to the ground with authority after closing hard on the WR. That was one of the few memorable plays I can think of by a CB for us this year.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's who I had left on my "best players available" list at the end of the draft, and where they ended up.

Jerome Couplin III - Safety - Detroit
Marcus Roberson - CB/Safety - Unsigned
Antonio Richardson - OT/OG - Vikings
Chris Boswell - Kicker - Houston
Anthony Fera - Kicker - Miami
A.C. Loenard - H-back - Vikings
James Gayle - OLB - Titans
Louchiez Purifoy - CB - Colts
Kelcy Quarles - DT - Giants

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OLB Justin Jackson will be another name from our UDFA group to watch this summer. We brought him in for a workout, if I'm not mistaken, and his pro day numbers were very good. Given our lack of a 6th LB (Tulloch, Levy, Van Noy, Palmer, Whitehead, ??) he's got a shot to stake a claim to the role if he can put his physical gifts to use on special teams. Any LB running a sub 4.5 is worth a look as a UDFA, imo...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
H-Back/FB Jacob Maxwell is another practice squad candidate, imo.

Good size/ speed combo, very athletic specimen, might be worth developing if he can be a lead blocker/pass blocker/special-teamer after a couple years on the P-squad...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently it wasn't in this thread, but one of you guys posted that Cornelius Washington would make the roster outright this year, and I said I thought he'd need a year of PS first. I'd like to retract that statement because we currently don't have a 4th OT of note, so the spot is his for the taking.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With as fast and athletic as Greenwood is -- Why is it Dallas shipped him back to Detroit, when the secondary is one of their biggest issues right now?

If memory serves Dallas had an injury at another position and had to sign someone to fill that hole. They chose to release the player they had just signed. Pretty standard procedure since Greenwood didn't even know their system yet. Detroit immediately resigned him.

I know you figured that smartass statement about Dallas shipping him back to Detroit was somehow supposed to bolster your position as the board know it all but it actually just made you look stupid.

And your position drills analogy = :lame: cause lord knows that's a perfect substitute for real live game action or at least full speed scrimmage. And if you think Green and Greenwood were getting those reps in practice you're wrong.

Either way I'm done talking with you. I've spent entirely too much time on it already. But I gotta tell you that for all the time I've spent being a champion of your cause to say what you believe even if it's negative, in one little discussion with you it's easy to see why you get under so many posters skin.

Your name change when we moved here is truly fitting because I think you do actually think you are always right and that pisses people off. Your membership to The Realist Party is revoked. You'll have to survive as the founder and only member of The Who Haven't I Annoyed Today Club. Good luck with that.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good- it just may be on the mid-term.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here's a snippet from a mlive article about the UDFA's, specifically Jerome Couplin:

Couplin's measurables are unique -- enough so, he was nicknamed "Osprey" at William and Mary. He stands 6-foot-2 and 215 pounds with a freakish 81-inch wingspan, and ran a 4.50-second 40-yard dash at his pro day according to Forbes. He also had a 41.5-inch vertical jump.

Aside from his top-shelf measurables, which we've discussed, does anything else in there stand out to you guys? Anything seem a bit out of place?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many of these great late round/ UDFA's are Mini-Millen's and how many of these are the work of Xanders? All these guys have great measurables and high upside practice squad types. Before Xanders arrived... I don't remember any good UDFA players being worth a shit.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^ Rolling.. gotta agree with you there but need to see 3-4 years data with Xanders being in Detroit to know for sure. Better hope he doesn't go elsewhere or when Mayhew gets fired, Xanders takes over. Xanders was not the signal caller in Denver, Josh McDaniel and Elway gave the go ahead with all the scouting Xanders personnel did.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before Xanders arrived... I don't remember any good UDFA players being worth a shit.

I don't remember any drafted players being worth a shit either.

Other than the obvious choice in taking Suh, and he's managed to find a way to put keeping him in very serious jeopardy.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@BigBlue... I'm sure Mini-Millen still makes all the top picks. I have a feeling he let's Xanders take over much of the late round/UDFA stuff though.

Definitely hoping Ford Jr. will stay in house with Xanders if the Lions bomb this season and he gives Mini-Millen the boot.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember any drafted players being worth a shit either.

Other than the obvious choice in taking Suh, and he's managed to find a way to put keeping him in very serious jeopardy.

I think Stafford was a no-brainer pick at the time as well. Dan Orvlosky was the best QB on the Lions roster and the dude ran out of the damn end zone. Stafford was a stud. I think he averaged like 9-10 YPA in the SEC.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Stafford was a no-brainer pick at the time as well. Dan Orvlosky was the best QB on the Lions roster and the dude ran out of the damn end zone. Stafford was a stud. I think he averaged like 9-10 YPA in the SEC.

Do you think Stafford has played at the level you would expect from the #1 overall pick?

Personally I don't but I can't hold Millenhew responsible there because he was the obvious pick that you just had to make.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st rd picks SHOULD BE NO-BRAINERS even if it's at #32.. there's plenty of talent to make the correct draft choice even that late.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think Stafford has played at the level you would expect from the #1 overall pick?

Personally I don't but I can't hold Millenhew responsible there because he was the obvious pick that you just had to make.

I do. The guy is still a stud and a top 5 arm talent in the NFL. Millenhew is responsible because he got all emotional after the 10 win season and re-signed Schwartz when CLEARLY the team was out of control and got lucky as hell with a bunch of fluky, come from behind wins. Then got exposed big time by the Saints.

Schwartz had 1 year left on his deal. Millenhew should of demanded the team be more in control and fix Staffords mechanics. Instead of demanding improvement, he got swept up in the hype. That really is the last thing you want out of a GM.