• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Rumor Thread

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised that I am feeling decent with how things went down. I was expecting to be disappointed. Also Toronto made no moves so hopefully we can hang in there

Yeah, not bad. Might be able to play "Beane"-ball well enough to get that 2nd wildcard.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wild card or not, if either of these guys can help us score more runs, put up quality at bats, and/or rub off a little on our young core positively, I'm happy.

So glad we're not the Phillies right now LOL

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We did what we should have done. We added bats without sacrificing the future. Denorfia is an upgrade even though I don't see him in our long term, but good for the now. Jackson on the other hand, he's here for awhile. The connection is there with Lloyd, and with any luck we can lock him up beyond his current status. Glad we didn't give up everything for a Price or even commit future money to an aging Byrd. Give credit when credit is due, Jack did well with what was out there. We are better tomorrow when they show up then we were this morning.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wild card or not, if either of these guys can help us score more runs, put up quality at bats, and/or rub off a little on our young core positively, I'm happy.

So glad we're not the Phillies right now LOL

I'd thumbs up this if the mods hadn't taken the privilege away.

See, I'm not who I was back in the ESPN days. Well, not on here, anyway.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what his name was but he was on the radio saying the Dodgers had a deal with the Mariners for Kemp lastnight but Jack backed out or something along those effects.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd thumbs up this if the mods hadn't taken the privilege away.

See, I'm not who I was back in the ESPN days. Well, not on here, anyway.

Took care of that thumbs up for you. Nice seeing the Mariners make a move, going to make the chase for wild card interesting. Hard to imagine the Mariners making the play offs, it has been a while.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like what Zduriencik was able to do at the deadline. He gave up minor league talent and a potential major league talent who didn't have a spot on the major league roster here for two major league players who can help right away. They weren't blockbuster deals or even deals that anybody was really expecting, but they were good deals that didn't give up the farm. From the broadcast of the game, it sounds like Denorfia will be our right fielder, so it's still possible that that DFA for Hart that we were all expecting when we traded for Morales will come after this deal instead.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has probably been Zduriencik's best trade deadline of his career. He added Morales, Jackson and Denorfia while only giving up Frankin, Almonte and Pryor.

Morales has been a consistent hitter his entire career, I don't see why he wouldn't be able to turn it around.

By adding Denorfia the Mariners have someone who can actually hit lefties. Austin Jackson is an all around good player, he has plus defense with good speed and a solid bat.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what his name was but he was on the radio saying the Dodgers had a deal with the Mariners for Kemp lastnight but Jack backed out or something along those effects.

I'm curious to know the players involved and money being eaten by the Dodgers.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good, I think that would have been a mistake.

There was a clip on 710 this morning of Jack saying something like he was tempted to make a bigger trade but decided against it because losing the 3 bigger pieces wouldn't have been the right move for us right now. I wonder if he was referring to a Kemp deal.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In an appearance with Chris Russo on the MLB Network (video link), Peter Gammons revealed that the Mets at one point last offseason offered Jon Niese to the Mariners in a trade that would have sent shortstop Brad Miller back to New York (it’s unclear what other pieces were in the deal). The Mets may be happy to have held onto Niese, who has posted a 3.50 ERA in 141 1/3 innings while Miller has struggled to a .199/.273/.326 batting line.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good, I think that would have been a mistake.

There was a clip on 710 this morning of Jack saying something like he was tempted to make a bigger trade but decided against it because losing the 3 bigger pieces wouldn't have been the right move for us right now. I wonder if he was referring to a Kemp deal.

I am glad he backed out... Matt Kemp is a huge risk. I do believe he would have made the team slightly better but for what we would give up for him and pay to keep him hurts the team in the long run.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is an early off season rumor:

i

The five-year, $125 million extension that Ryan Howard signed back in April 2010 hasn't worked out well for Philadelphia, and the slugger's days in a Phillies uniform could very well be numbered. The 34-year-old first baseman has seen his production trail off considerably since signing the massive deal, but according to one scout Howard could have a bright future as a designated hitter in the American League.

“He’s not a lost cause,” an evaluator tells Nick Cafardo of The Boston Globe. “He’s knocked in 92 runs for a bad team, so there’s obviously something still there. He could help an American League team as a DH.”

Trading him won't be an easy task for the Phillies, however; Howard is guaranteed $25 million in both 2015 and 2016, and has a $10 million buyout in 2017. To that point, Cafardo writes, "It would require the Phillies eating a good portion of the $60 million remaining on his contract. ..."

One AL team that could be a fit is Seattle, given that the Mariners will be seeking a DH over the winter.
While the M's already have a lefty-dominant lineup, the left-handed hitting Howard could still work well; Cafardo points out that he has actually batted better against lefties (.236 average and .788 OPS) than righties (.218 average .651 OPS) this season. Obviously, any deal the Phillies make involving Howard -- with Seattle or another team -- will likely hinge on how much money the Phils are willing to eat in the deal.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is an early off season rumor:

i

The five-year, $125 million extension that Ryan Howard signed back in April 2010 hasn't worked out well for Philadelphia, and the slugger's days in a Phillies uniform could very well be numbered. The 34-year-old first baseman has seen his production trail off considerably since signing the massive deal, but according to one scout Howard could have a bright future as a designated hitter in the American League.

“He’s not a lost cause,” an evaluator tells Nick Cafardo of The Boston Globe. “He’s knocked in 92 runs for a bad team, so there’s obviously something still there. He could help an American League team as a DH.”

Trading him won't be an easy task for the Phillies, however; Howard is guaranteed $25 million in both 2015 and 2016, and has a $10 million buyout in 2017. To that point, Cafardo writes, "It would require the Phillies eating a good portion of the $60 million remaining on his contract. ..."

One AL team that could be a fit is Seattle, given that the Mariners will be seeking a DH over the winter.
While the M's already have a lefty-dominant lineup, the left-handed hitting Howard could still work well; Cafardo points out that he has actually batted better against lefties (.236 average and .788 OPS) than righties (.218 average .651 OPS) this season. Obviously, any deal the Phillies make involving Howard -- with Seattle or another team -- will likely hinge on how much money the Phils are willing to eat in the deal.

Eh, I'd say pass on that one. They'd need Philly to eat a ton of that because they have Iwakuma and Seager's contracts coming up. I know the M's need offense but not badly enough where they will sacrifice their number 2 for offense. It is highly unlikely that they will get a Chris Young every off season and it seems Walker will never end up in the rotation as long as Lloyd is the manager.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree it would be a mistake, but with M's unwillingness to spend Jack may make a deal like this with Philly paying most of money and us not giving up much. It just seems like a M's move and it scares me.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree it would be a mistake, but with M's unwillingness to spend Jack may make a deal like this with Philly paying most of money and us not giving up much. It just seems like a M's move and it scares me.

Agreed but it would be scary on who the staff would be in 2016. They would have Felix and Paxton basically with Elias as long as he doesn't crap out over the winter like Pineda did after his first full year. I think Walker will get dealt in the offseason, even possibly for Howard if that were to go down. Who else is there that they can actually get? Who else is there in the system that is a viable major league starter for an entire year? Like I said, lighting struck with Young but I highly doubt that will happen again where they can get the league minimum for a comeback player of the year. They need offense but I'd prefer to get 2 or 3 position players for the price of Howard.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said they needed another SP this year to start the season and not just a long shot like Young. Next year we will be needing to sign a good, younger type SP. I would love Lester (not younger), but no way they spend the money.

Elias scares me because I am not sure if he is the real deal. Paxton I think is and should be kept long term. I agree that Walker will be traded in the off season for a bat. I don't think in a million years it will be for Howard though. Not even Jack is that dumb....right? Please say right.

The off season should be interesting. M's have always had the excuse that they weren't ready to take the next step because of lack of talent, but now that they will end up close to the playoffs no excuses will be good enough even for this excuse filled management.

My one crazy prediction for the off season will be M's trading Iwakuma for a young bat and young arm to a team like Yanks or Boston. A veteran team looking to take the next step.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said they needed another SP this year to start the season and not just a long shot like Young. Next year we will be needing to sign a good, younger type SP. I would love Lester (not younger), but no way they spend the money.

Elias scares me because I am not sure if he is the real deal. Paxton I think is and should be kept long term. I agree that Walker will be traded in the off season for a bat. I don't think in a million years it will be for Howard though. Not even Jack is that dumb....right? Please say right.

The off season should be interesting. M's have always had the excuse that they weren't ready to take the next step because of lack of talent, but now that they will end up close to the playoffs no excuses will be good enough even for this excuse filled management.

My one crazy prediction for the off season will be M's trading Iwakuma for a young bat and young arm to a team like Yanks or Boston. A veteran team looking to take the next step.

If they are going to deal Iwakuma I'd like it to be to a team like KC, St. Louis, Miami or one of those teams that gets hit 100 degrees alot. It is seems the hotter it is the less stamina he has and less of a chance it bites Seattle in the ass. But I'm not really sure what you could get for Iwakuma since his contracts coming up and he is about to hit the typical wall for a Japanese player of 3 years.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure either, but he has a 1 year option which might attract a few teams since there isn't a long term commitment.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In addition, Steven Souza of the Washington Nationals organization is a minor league player to keep an eye on. Souza is blocked at the major league level by Washington’s outfield logjam and could net the Nationals a pretty decent return as a sell-high candidate.
Souza has hit .362/.439/.606 at Triple-A Syracuse this season. He’s powerful at 6’5’’ 225 pounds, but he also has stolen 21 bases and offers athleticism in the outfield.
hi-res-d3bddae0737841ed171bfe90aa83123a_crop_exact.jpg
David Goldman/Associated Press
Washington might consider using Souza as an asset to trade for a young shortstop.

Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com reports that Washington is looking for a young shortstop at the trade deadline to take over should Ian Desmond leave in free agency after the 2015 season, which the Mariners could provide.
The Mariners need a proven major league bat at the deadline, but they also might be tempted to look to other options for depth in a thin market.

-----------------

I wouldn't be against trying for a MLB ready prospect if it is the right one. It would be a gamble that they could help now, but considering the other names available it might be worth the risk.

Remember when I posted about him last year. I didn't even know until recently that he is a local kid.

12 HR's, 28 RBI's and a .308 OBP which would be high for a Mariner and only 26. Wouldn't the young Buhner have looked good in RF in Seattle? Missed opportunity...again.