• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Rosterbation

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My "no no no no no no no no" rant was more saying how inaccurate that rumor is than pleading for it not to be true. Our OF is set right now. There is no room for an aged HOF OF who is, at best, a 4 at this point in his career. If the Giants were not competing, than Suzuki would be fine as a marketing ploy. But the Giants are looking for jewelry, so he does not fit.

The only scenario, and it's been mentioned before, is that:

1) We get Ichiro for a song
2) We don't pay him much, and
3) He is able to lure Tanaka to play here.

Unfortunately, those three steps decline rapidly in order of being realistic.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only scenario, and it's been mentioned before, is that:

1) We get Ichiro for a song
2) We don't pay him much, and
3) He is able to lure Tanaka to play here.

Unfortunately, those three steps decline rapidly in order of being realistic.

Even at "a song", Icharo does not make sense for us. We already have Pence, Pagan and Morse as the starters with Blanco as the solid 4. #5 OF slots are rookie slots. Not fading HOFer slots.

As for luring Tanaka, I cannot picture the Giants going after him. They promised Vogie a competition free rotation-slot. Signing Tanaka would fuck up the locker room more than it would improve the on-field play.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Mays-fan, Tanaka isn't happening for the G-men.

Also, why would having Ichiro here help? The guy is notoriously prickly, I don't think he has much love from other Japanese players. Respect for sure but not a lot of camaraderie.

I know why you're still banging the drum, I think you agree with me that on paper the Giants are not as good as the Dodgers, and you wished we had brought in more (if I have that wrong, sorry!)

Maybe we're planning a summertime add to see what holes we need to fill. I just hope we aren't 10 games back come August. As usual we need the Baseball Gods on our side, mainly with injuries (few for us, lots for dem Bums). The Gods do seem to favor us in even numbered years lately.

And we can't forget there's always a team or two no one sees coming in the mix. Maybe it's in our division (Dbacks? Pads?).

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to agree with most of the people here that Tanaka is not anywhere in the G-Mens plans. For me personally, the signing of Morse shut the door on Tanaka. The only possibilty I had ever seen for Tanaka was if we were in fact going to trade a top line starter for a LF and replace that starter with Tanaka. I almost thought something along the lines of Timmy for Gardner. I also don't see any value for Ichiro now that Morse is signed. I'd rather have Blanco as a defensive replacement than Ichiro.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to agree with most of the people here that Tanaka is not anywhere in the G-Mens plans. For me personally, the signing of Morse shut the door on Tanaka. The only possibilty I had ever seen for Tanaka was if we were in fact going to trade a top line starter for a LF and replace that starter with Tanaka. I almost thought something along the lines of Timmy for Gardner. I also don't see any value for Ichiro now that Morse is signed. I'd rather have Blanco as a defensive replacement than Ichiro.

To take it a step further, I would rather have JCP than Ichiro, at this point. Again, the #5 OF slot is meant for a rookie, not an aged HOFer (on a contender).

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will clarify things.

Ichiro, fuck no.

I will clarify my stance. I have NO interest in Ichiro. He is well past his prime to the point where statistically he has even become a liability on defense.

It is Tanaka that I would want, and if there is a way to get him, I want him. If nothing else than to keep him from the team to the south.

It's not MY money, after all.

Happy Gentile New Year everyone.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will clarify my stance. I have NO interest in Ichiro. He is well past his prime to the point where statistically he has even become a liability on defense.

It is Tanaka that I would want, and if there is a way to get him, I want him. If nothing else than to keep him from the team to the south.

It's not MY money, after all.

Happy Gentile New Year everyone.

I see what you did there :kev:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Pavlovic ‏@AlexPavlovic 2m
Giants agreed to terms with Abreu, Petit and Blanco. Arias and Belt remain in arbitration process.

One hour to go...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Passan

Brandon Belt asks for $3.6M from the Giants. Team offers $2.05M.

Jeff Passan

Giants also exchanged numbers with Joaquin Arias. He wants $1.5M, they offered $1.1M.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Under the radar Spring Training invite for Rafael Dolis. I've only seen a little of this guy, but came away impressed with the movement on his fastball (hence the poor walk rate). If he ever reigns that in and develops a decent change-up against lefties, he could have a nice career as a solid middle reliever, though I assume there are a fair amount of guys like that in the system, at the moment (or any moment). Petit avoided arb, too (maybe a $50k savings for you penny-pinchers ;).

EDIT: Sorry, cal. Saw you caught this.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Under the radar Spring Training invite for Rafael Dolis. I've only seen a little of this guy, but came away impressed with the movement on his fastball (hence the poor walk rate). If he ever reigns that in and develops a decent change-up against lefties, he could have a nice career as a solid middle reliever, though I assume there are a fair amount of guys like that in the system, at the moment (or any moment). Petit avoided arb, too (maybe a $50k savings for you penny-pinchers ;).

EDIT: Sorry, cal. Saw you caught this.

Good call. Read up on him a little bit, he was ranked as high as 7th in the Cubs system before graduating from prospect status in 2012. He throws a HARD sinker (reached 101) and a good slider (83-85). Reminded the Cubs of Carlos Marmol, nasty stuff but needs to work on him command. Could be a weapon and solid innings eater in the back of the Pen if he cleans up his command.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Passan

Giants also exchanged numbers with Joaquin Arias. He wants $1.5M, they offered $1.1M.

Giants Agree To Two-Year Deal With Joaquin Arias: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

The Giants have avoided arbitration with utilityman Joaquin Arias by agreeing to a two-year deal worth $2.6MM, according to Andrew Baggarly of CSN Bay Area (on Twitter).

Arias, 29, exchanged arbitration numbers Friday of last week, with Arias submitting a $1.5MM figure and the Giants countering at $1.1MM. The MVP Sports Group client agreed to an average annual value at the midpoint of those two numbers, indicating that he was willing to sacrifice some potential earnings in 2015 for a guaranteed two-year payday.

In two seasons with the Giants, Arias has produced a .270/.296/.369 batting line with six homers and six stolen bases in 580 plate appearances. He's capable of playing shortstop, third base and second base, although he is only a plus defender at third base, according to Ultimate Zone Rating and Defensive Runs Saved. He'll remain the primary backup for third baseman Pablo Sandoval, shortstop Brandon Crawford and second baseman Marco Scutaro as the Giants look to turn their fortunes and return to the postseason in search of a third World Series title in five years this coming season.

With this extension, the Giants have bought out each of Arias' remaining years of arbitration eligibility, meaning he will be a free agent upon its completion. Brandon Belt is the Giants' lone remaining arbitration case, as can be seen in MLBTR's Arbitration Tracker. He filed for $3.6MM, and the Giants countered with $2.05MM.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice!!

We have an elite Util not for the next two seasons.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good call. Read up on him a little bit, he was ranked as high as 7th in the Cubs system before graduating from prospect status in 2012. He throws a HARD sinker (reached 101) and a good slider (83-85). Reminded the Cubs of Carlos Marmol, nasty stuff but needs to work on him command. Could be a weapon and solid innings eater in the back of the Pen if he cleans up his command.

Nice. I didn't pick up a sinker in the 7 or so innings that I've seen of him. That can work against lefties, but again, can he control it? Low risk-possible high reward, as usual.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice. I didn't pick up a sinker in the 7 or so innings that I've seen of him. That can work against lefties, but again, can he control it? Low risk-possible high reward, as usual.

It's another classic Sabean move, hopefully we can add this kid to the ever growing list.