• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: #2 - Phoenix at San Jose - 7:30PM

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Granted Phoenix isnt that good of a team, but the sharks are without two top 6 forwards and top pair defenseman and they are this good, this might finally be the team weve been waiting for boys

They looked like this for the first 7 games last year too so you'll have to forgive me if I don't get my hopes up.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They looked like this for the first 7 games last year too so you'll have to forgive me if I don't get my hopes up.

They also abandoned the cycle that was working and were a much slower team with a complete line up, this year missing 3 big pieces and still look this good and playing the same way they ended the season, I'm a little more hopeful

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just got back... amazing game of course. full 60 minute effort (THANK YOU!) but that was one of the best games I have seen the sharks D as a 6 man unit play in recent memory. The D had a total of 1 giveaway combined! The Phoenix forecheck was virtually nonexistant all night becasue the sharks D moved the puck quickly, on the tape, and always in the right direction be it up the boards, through the middle or reversing back behind the net. All 6 of them, were so effective, and pitched in offensively too of course, but the play in their own zone absolutely neutralized a hard working, forecheck heavy team like Phoenix.

My big concerns about the D are beginning to melt. Yes, it's been all of 2 games and they havent hit the road yet, but from what I saw, demers looked great, pickles smooth, hannan was solid, irwin sharp, Braun played a great game... hell boyler didnt stand out as better than any of 'em which is not a knock to danny but just shows how much the young D seem to be maturing. Right now, if the D can hold up like this and continue to be involved in the O (3 more D points tonight), then it's a nice sight.

Still early, but a W is a W and the more W's you get with top 9 forwards out, the better. The only downside I saw was that the sharks are a top 2 line heavy team. All the scoring is coming from the top 2 lines and the PP. The bottom 6 have 1 goal, which was a garbarge 4th goal in the 1st game on a 2 on 0 from wingels. Of course it's early and it's not a real complaint, and it should not be an issue once torres and havlat return. That's why accumulating wins early is that much more important.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:thumb: I agree, this team has a different feel to them. Yes its only two wins and we have a LONG way to go, but its nice to see the Sharks start strong.

:noidea: this Hertl kid is something special. Keep it up kid!

Hertl x2 :clap:
Marleau :clap:
Couture :clap:

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
:thumb: I agree, this team has a different feel to them. Yes its only two wins and we have a LONG way to go, but its nice to see the Sharks start strong.

Hurdle isnt special but he's smart and has been put in a position to suceed, which is rare for a sharks rookie. its usually bring in a rookie and expect a game changer, he was brought in to just not be a determent

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just got back... amazing game of course. full 60 minute effort (THANK YOU!) but that was one of the best games I have seen the sharks D as a 6 man unit play in recent memory. The D had a total of 1 giveaway combined! The Phoenix forecheck was virtually nonexistant all night becasue the sharks D moved the puck quickly, on the tape, and always in the right direction be it up the boards, through the middle or reversing back behind the net. All 6 of them, were so effective, and pitched in offensively too of course, but the play in their own zone absolutely neutralized a hard working, forecheck heavy team like Phoenix.

My big concerns about the D are beginning to melt. Yes, it's been all of 2 games and they havent hit the road yet, but from what I saw, demers looked great, pickles smooth, hannan was solid, irwin sharp, Braun played a great game... hell boyler didnt stand out as better than any of 'em which is not a knock to danny but just shows how much the young D seem to be maturing. Right now, if the D can hold up like this and continue to be involved in the O (3 more D points tonight), then it's a nice sight.

Still early, but a W is a W and the more W's you get with top 9 forwards out, the better. The only downside I saw was that the sharks are a top 2 line heavy team. All the scoring is coming from the top 2 lines and the PP. The bottom 6 have 1 goal, which was a garbarge 4th goal in the 1st game on a 2 on 0 from wingels. Of course it's early and it's not a real complaint, and it should not be an issue once torres and havlat return. That's why accumulating wins early is that much more important.

That "garbage 4th goal" was extremely important at the time it was scored. It was the nail in the coffin goal that put the game out of reach and last I checked a goal is a goal no matter what the score or when it's scored.

The 4th line with McCarthy on it (Not Pelech) was very, very good last night. They dominated possession and zone time of the competition they were on the ice against. Pavelski and Wingels have looked really good at even strength, especially Wingels. Nieto is still a little behind the play which is going to have a negitive effect on that lines scoring. Nieto's a very smart player and he'll catch up to the play in short time. This or the return of Havlat will boost the 3rd line scoring.

It's only been two games Rules. Get off the ledge about the bottom six scoring. Those two lines have greatly out chanced and out played their opposition.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, Hertl has probably been the best overall rookie the 1st week of the season. 2 goals, 1 assist, 3 points, +2. I give him an edge over Nathan MacKinnon, Jacob Trouba, & Mark Scheifele so far.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That "garbage 4th goal" was extremely important at the time it was scored. It was the nail in the coffin goal that put the game out of reach and last I checked a goal is a goal no matter what the score or when it's scored.

The 4th line with McCarthy on it (Not Pelech) was very, very good last night. They dominated possession and zone time of the competition they were on the ice against. Pavelski and Wingels have looked really good at even strength, especially Wingels. Nieto is still a little behind the play which is going to have a negitive effect on that lines scoring. Nieto's a very smart player and he'll catch up to the play in short time. This or the return of Havlat will boost the 3rd line scoring.

It's only been two games Rules. Get off the ledge about the bottom six scoring. Those two lines have greatly out chanced and out played their opposition.

I think you misunderstood. I am not actually worried about it, especially given the likely healthy return of torres and havalt midyear. I saw the 4th line play differently I suppose, so we can agree to disagree there. I see mccarthy as AHL fodder, and Sheppard looks unimpressive to me as well. Desi is a solid 4th line C, and I am not expecting that line to dominate but they also cant take penalties or give up goals.

Like I said in the post, the bottom 6 are the only possible point of complaint, and it's not a serious problem. However, as good teams focus on shutting down the top 2 lines, the pavelski and desi lines will be really key. As of now, there really isnt much to complain about...

When havlat and torres do come back the sharks top 9 will likely be the best they've had maybe ever. Kennedy's speed fits brilliantly with cooch and patty as that line created a billion chances the last couple games. A line of havlat, pavelski, and torres will also be very dangerous and of course Hertl is fitting in very nicely along burns and jumbo. I like Nieto, but I wonder if a full year in wooster playing top line minutes wouldnt be a better fit for him at this stage. I suppose he'll get sent down once havlat comes back, so hopefully this stint does him some good. I love his speed and quickness, but he isnt quite a top 9 NHL forward yet. The potential is definitely there...

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Im really looking forward to watching how the team plays on the road and against the best in the league, namely chicago, st. louis, and LA in the west and Boston or pitt in the east. The thursday the 10th game in vancouver should be a good one as well as Tuesday oct 15th game at STL should be an awesome challenge.

I grow ever more excited to see the play of the D right now. I think the movement of Murray is addition by subtraction because the D speed seems so much quicker. All 6 guys are getting involved in all three zones, so I hope that continues. Pickles has looked incredibly smart early on here, too, so maybe he is gunna find that two way game that he showed in jr's and early in his career. He's only 26 and signed forever, so this may be a big pivot year from him as boyle ages and he becomes the true leader of the D corps.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Hertl is going to be really good. Looks like he likes to go to the front of the net, something that has been missing on this team.
Burns really impresses me too. Love the way he shoots pretty much every chance he gets. Again, something that has been lacking on this team in years past.
I know it's only 2 game too, but this is gonna be a really good team. Lot of depth, which they pretty much have never had.

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thus far, Hertl reminds me a lot of Milan Michalek but much more grit and physicality, he is way more aggressive on both ends of the ice than Milan ever was. I was really worried about the future of this team, I still am, but Hertl makes me feel much better. I was thinking Couture was going to have zero help, now I'm excited to watch these two grow together and hopefully become superstars.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Im really looking forward to watching how the team plays on the road and against the best in the league, namely chicago, st. louis, and LA in the west and Boston or pitt in the east. The thursday the 10th game in vancouver should be a good one as well as Tuesday oct 15th game at STL should be an awesome challenge.

I grow ever more excited to see the play of the D right now. I think the movement of Murray is addition by subtraction because the D speed seems so much quicker. All 6 guys are getting involved in all three zones, so I hope that continues. Pickles has looked incredibly smart early on here, too, so maybe he is gunna find that two way game that he showed in jr's and early in his career. He's only 26 and signed forever, so this may be a big pivot year from him as boyle ages and he becomes the true leader of the D corps.

I've also been pleasantly surprised by the defense. I didn't realize just how much Braun's wrist injury last season affected his ability to even stick handle much less make a pass or shoot. Korky has always said if they can find a D partner for Vlasic who is trustworthy defensively and mobile enough to give Vlasic a little time and space then his puck moving abilities and offensive instincts will be more prevalent and I think that may be starting to show with Braun as his partner.

The biggest surprise to me is the play of Demers defensively and Hannan's willingness to jump into the offense. Hannan has made more plays out of the defensive zone and more pinches in the offensive zone in these first two games than he did the last two years combined I think.

Irwin is really the only dman I have any complaints about. He's had a couple turnovers in his own zone and been out of position more than I'd like but even those issues haven't been major mistakes.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thus far, Hertl reminds me a lot of Milan Michalek but much more grit and physicality, he is way more aggressive on both ends of the ice than Milan ever was. I was really worried about the future of this team, I still am, but Hertl makes me feel much better. I was thinking Couture was going to have zero help, now I'm excited to watch these two grow together and hopefully become superstars.

I think the sharks are finally in a position like the red wings have been in for the last 20 years, where the talent they draft and bring in arent relied on to be game changers, and its helping with their development. If the sharks traded the likes of patty,jumbo and boyle and brought up Couture and Pavelski do you really think they'd be as good as they are now? I don't think so.

Hertl has been brought in and put in position to succeed and credit to him for doing so, i mean how many Czech players in the history of the league have ever been known for going to the front of the net like this kids doing? I honestly cant recall one, Elias,Jagr, and the like have all been outside players who would drive the net but never park there.

I'm really looking forward to the complete line up and its going to be real hard to gauge how good Hertl is in a full season because of the Olympic break he isnt going to get the full grind and will get a break around Feb, so its pretty beneficial for him. Either way the present and future appears to be very bright

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There's a good chance Hertl will be on the Czech team so He might not get much of a break.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've also been pleasantly surprised by the defense. I didn't realize just how much Braun's wrist injury last season affected his ability to even stick handle much less make a pass or shoot. Korky has always said if they can find a D partner for Vlasic who is trustworthy defensively and mobile enough to give Vlasic a little time and space then his puck moving abilities and offensive instincts will be more prevalent and I think that may be starting to show with Braun as his partner.

The biggest surprise to me is the play of Demers defensively and Hannan's willingness to jump into the offense. Hannan has made more plays out of the defensive zone and more pinches in the offensive zone in these first two games than he did the last two years combined I think.

Irwin is really the only dman I have any complaints about. He's had a couple turnovers in his own zone and been out of position more than I'd like but even those issues haven't been major mistakes.

It looks like teams are really pressuring Irwin anytime he has the puck, im guessing the book on him is he holds it to long. Though he did a good job walking the line and snapping a shot on net for Hertls goal. I havent really noticed him but i havent really watched a full game yet either lol. I just dont hear his name by Hahn or Roomenda so i take it as good lol

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It looks like teams are really pressuring Irwin anytime he has the puck, im guessing the book on him is he holds it to long. Though he did a good job walking the line and snapping a shot on net for Hertls goal. I havent really noticed him but i havent really watched a full game yet either lol. I just dont hear his name by Hahn or Roomenda so i take it as good lol

Irwin is slow of foot and slow on his decision making in the defensive zone which is why he gets pressured.