• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 1st Round: LA Clippers vs Dallas Mavericks

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the perception of the Lakers and Clippers (and the Bucks, too) was way too high. The competition is a lot tougher than many thought, and the perceived strongest teams are showing vulnerabilities.

I am not sure that is true.

None of those teams are playing nearly as well as they were in March.

Their chief competitors all seem to have gotten stronger.

It is a different season and the gap has closed.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gave this a chance for maybe ten minutes.

Can't do it. Glad you guys are enjoying it. Somebody has to.

10 minutes?

LOL.

That reminds me of sitting at the dinner table with my kids. They have that vegetable on their plate that they just don’t want to eat.

After a long drawn out process convincing them to “try it”, they take a tiny bite and immediately spit it back out. With absolutely no intention of ever giving it a fair chance.

It is all good. Not trying to give you a hard time. And if it you don’t enjoy it, then don’t waste your time on it.

But, based on earlier conversations, it sounds like you had your mind made up before the games even started.

Which is your perogative.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 minutes?

LOL.

That reminds me of sitting at the dinner table with my kids. They have that vegetable on their plate that they just don’t want to eat.

After a long drawn out process convincing them to “try it”, they take a tiny bite and immediately spit it back out. With absolutely no intention of ever giving it a fair chance.

It is all good. Not trying to give you a hard time. And if it you don’t enjoy it, then don’t waste your time on it.

But, based on earlier conversations, it sounds like you had your mind made up before the games even started.

Yep. Totally get it. But I guess I focus much more on the game than the crowd. Half the time ive got something else going on anyway so I'm not worried about the crowd.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 minutes?

LOL.

Was so excited to watch NBA basketball. Want to see how the season plays out as much as I did before.

Just have not enjoyed it. I'm aware of the status of series en sech. Newspaper following along, if you will.

Baseball I've enjoyed on the radio to the usual/normal level. Haven't went there with basketball, but should look into it. Would be easier if my usual stations on AM for games were involved. Detroit, Chicago and Cleveland stations...

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the perception of the Lakers and Clippers (and the Bucks, too) was way too high. The competition is a lot tougher than many thought, and the perceived strongest teams are showing vulnerabilities.

I think we've always known about the vulnerabilities of the top seeds. It's just been 4 months since we saw them.

I think what we're seeing/have seen is more the uniqueness of the way things had to be done this year.

Using the Lakers/Blazers as an example. Once the Lakers beat the Clippers in the first game and secured the #1 seed...all they cared about was getting to the playoffs healthy.

Meanwhile, the Blazers had been playing playoff games since day 1. That's why when I did my prediction on that series I said I wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers lost game 1.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Totally get it. But I guess I focus much more on the game than the crowd. Half the time ive got something else going on anyway so I'm not worried about the crowd.

Honestly, the only time I really notice any difference re: the crowd is when the game is a blowout and occasionally when timeout is called in a close game because I know a real crowd would be going crazy.

The Clippers/Mavs game yesterday is a good example. When the Clippers were up by 20 and in control of the game, I noticed the lack of real crowd noise.

But once the Mavs got back into the game and all the way to the end of the game, I didn't notice the difference anymore.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we've always known about the vulnerabilities of the top seeds. It's just been 4 months since we saw them.

I think what we're seeing/have seen is more the uniqueness of the way things had to be done this year.

Using the Lakers/Blazers as an example. Once the Lakers beat the Clippers in the first game and secured the #1 seed...all they cared about was getting to the playoffs healthy.

Meanwhile, the Blazers had been playing playoff games since day 1. That's why when I did my prediction on that series I said I wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers lost game 1.

More validity to this than I think people realize - particularly within the bubble. The NBA is one place where a home court advantage really does exist. There is a "buzz" that cannot be replicated with the manufactured crowd noise. It doesn't completely level the field but I do sense more of a competitive "equalization" if you will. Game 2 of Mavs/Clippers is an example where I wonder how much L.A. missed that "buzz". I do know this - if yesterday's game had been played at the AAC and that same scenario had taken place at the end, they would need to refasten the roof to that barn this morning.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All this talk this year about the great Clippers defense...and role players was out there giving them the BIDNESS

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Kawhi is great, but he's not a guy who's gonna carry a team offensively for an entire aeries.

IDK just bc you have role players who step up doesn't mean you can't carry a team. Maybe if we are talking a few years ago but he averaged 30 in the playoffs last year. Pascal was the 2nd option at 19 ppg. He is no Lebron but he can carry a team offensively, he had some great role players but a pretty inconsistent AS type of player in Lowry too.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that is an obscene haul that OKC got. Got SGA and 5 first round draft picks. Perfect for a non-big market team that can't get too far into the luxury tax if they can even afford it at all. And who knows how good the Clippers will be in 2023 to 2026? In addition to the Clips' 2024 and 2026 first round picks, OKC also has the right to swap picks in 2023 and 2025.

Yeah the most important part of that deal I forgot was SGA...he averaged 19 and 6 this year. He's averaged 21 in the playoffs and he seems like he has established a jumpshot too which was the only question mark. That alone seems like enough in the deal let alone the shit ton of picks they acquired lol.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK just bc you have role players who step up doesn't mean you can't carry a team. Maybe if we are talking a few years ago but he averaged 30 in the playoffs last year. Pascal was the 2nd option at 19 ppg. He is no Lebron but he can carry a team offensively, he had some great role players but a pretty inconsistent AS type of player in Lowry too.

Not saying he can't carry a team offensively. Just that he can't do it for an entire series.

It's no slam on Kawhi. Just because someone is a superstar doesn't mean he can carry a team offensively for that long.

Even Kobe couldn't really do that. It's why the Lakers couldn't get out of the first round when he tried, but Lebron took a similarly bad roster to the finals.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying he can't carry a team offensively. Just that he can't do it for an entire series.

It's no slam on Kawhi. Just because someone is a superstar doesn't mean he can carry a team offensively for that long.

Even Kobe couldn't really do that. It's why the Lakers couldn't get out of the first round when he tried, but Lebron took a similarly bad roster to the finals.

Ahh I was just mean offensively...but obviously actually winning a series is a whole different story.
Hard to compare bc different teammates but I think there is no reason Kawhi should lose this series even if Paul George isn't producing like he should. He has a hell of a supporting cast and now Porzingis is banged up and Luka is "kinda banged up" lol

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahh I was just mean offensively...but obviously actually winning a series is a whole different story.
Hard to compare bc different teammates but I think there is no reason Kawhi should lose this series even if Paul George isn't producing like he should. He has a hell of a supporting cast and now Porzingis is banged up and Luka is "kinda banged up" lol

Luka wouldn't be playing If this was the regular season lol

Tough part of these condensed playoffs....no two day off spots that you sometimes see

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's going to happen...but what if the Clips lose this series?

They trade away all of those assets and spend all of that money to get eliminated in the first round like they did last year when they had team full of role players....

can't imagine that would set well with Ballmer. Even with the unusual season this year.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's going to happen...but what if the Clips lose this series?

They trade away all of those assets and spend all of that money to get eliminated in the first round like they did last year when they had team full of role players....

can't imagine that would set well with Ballmer. Even with the unusual season this year.

If the Clippers get shocked in the first round time for a major shake up. Ballmer should sell the team to Kanye. Then trade Kawhi for Gordon Hayward. And Doc can be replaced by Lavar Ball.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Porzingis (knee) ruled out for Game 5 vs. Clippers

Complete puss. Back spasms now knee issues? I feel like his entire career is going to be like this. Doncic has to carry the team again against an angry Clips team.

They'd be better off lying about it and saying its sprained (which is a small tear) than just saying its sore. They look soft as hell holding him out when they could very well beat the Clippers in this series.