• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1st Round Grade for 49ers

1st Rd Grade for 49ers?

• A

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • B

Votes: 24 41.4%
  • C

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • D

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • F

Votes: 9 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Experts" also said Deone Bucanon would go in the middle of the 2nd, he went in the 1st.
How do you guys know Ward would've been there for us in the 2nd, because the mock said it? Give me a break.
You target your guy and get him. If he's your guy whats the difference when you get him? They obviously feel that he's a diamond and didn't want to risk missing him.
His highlights are amazing. A 4.4 with a strees fracture in his foot?
Starting slot cb this season, as well as special teams ANIMAL. Mark it down.

There is no reason to have him as your target in the 1st rd. We don't need a safety. We have other needs at CB and WR.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree Lions are up there. They land a TE when they already have a TE. They needed Defense. Also Minn taking A. Barr that high. The guy looks like a WR. He needs to add a lot of muscle if he wants to play in the NFL.. I do agree 49ers did screw up.

Fair enough. I just think we had such a need for a big, fast, powerful wideout and Lee was perfect. We'd have been set at the position for the next 8-10 years. He is so good at going up to grab errant passes and we all know how innaccurate kaepernick is. I'm so disappointed in the Ward pick

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
One thing I think people are forgetting is that to trade up, someone has to be willing to trade up with you. I know the Cardinals traded (with the Saints I think), but that doesn't mean that the Cardinals wouldve been willing to trade with us, a division rival. The cardinals may have taken the stance that they would not help the team that is their direct roadblock to the playoffs get any better. I don't know this, just speculating.

than trade with the Phins at 19.. they took Juwuan James early too..

That's where the trade should have taken place..

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raiders will be the biggest bust 3 years from now when once again a top pick of theirs is no longer on the roster. Khali Mack will be that workout wonder that moved up the boards and went way higher than he should have this year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack is a beast. That was a good pick by oakland.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers were the biggest fail in the first round of all 32 teams. You cannot pass on a monster like Marquise lee and take a first round bust like Jimmie Ward.

Toby, he hasn't played a down and you're calling him a bust. Give him a chance. I'm not loving the pick, but he has enough speed and skills to play slot corner. Also, why did the Giants, Jets, Saints, Eagles, and the Panthers pass on Lee? All these teams needed WR and some went defense and the other teams chose ODB, Cooks, and Benjamin.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
32. S Jimmie Ward, NIU

Josh Norris on Jimmie Ward:

32nd ranked player overall.

NFL Comparison: Poor man’s Kenny Vaccaro.

Where He Wins: Has very good backfield vision and ball awareness to work through blocks and make a play on ball carriers. Comfortable in zone coverage to work off one receiver and close on another. Very good tackler, takes solid pursuit angles and closes assertively but not uncontrollably. Does not mind slowing down smaller slot receivers or contending with tight ends downfield.

Where He Fits: Works his way closer to the line of scrimmage, creeping up to cover inside targets. Does very well to keep everything in front when playing that role, but can also turn and run and stick with breaking routes in man coverage. Can absolutely play that third S role early on.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I voted B, because he feels a need and could end up being very valuable down the line. Hopefully, he makes a big impact even in his rookie season.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no reason to have him as your target in the 1st rd. We don't need a safety. We have other needs at CB and WR.

He is going to play the slot corner. He can also play safety so he's versatile. It is a passing league and lots of teams play three wideouts. Our nickel back right now is either Cooks, Cox or Wright. Let's see how he does when he gets on the field.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again I trust our FO with there judgements and will reserve mine until I see the kid play in the nfl.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's wait and see how he does his rookie year. It is obvious that the Niners see something in him. I have a feeling that the Niners will trade up tomorrow and get a WR, hopefully Matthews and Desir with the other 2nd round pick.

Shouldn't your first round pick be expected to start? If that is the case, why waste the money signing Bethea as a free agent?

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that he was still in school as a senior, tells you something right there. How the fuck could they have passed on Marquise Lee?

Let's see what happens today. Maybe the Niners trade up to get Lee or maybe they saw something they didn't like about him. We're not privy to all the info they have.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lee? Are you kidding, why would we want that injury prone receiver in the 1st, I think we could have him with our 2nd easily. If we went WR at that point it should have been Cody Latimer. After not trading up I was hoping for Nix in the first, and Latimer in the 2nd, we do not need Ward, and I think this is another Balmer/Jenkins type of bust.

Injury prone? He was hurt last year but when healthy, he was the best receiver in the country. He will be a monster in the pros. Cody Lattimer? LOL! But with the 49er track record of failing with wide receiver picks you might be right.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toby, he hasn't played a down and you're calling him a bust. Give him a chance. I'm not loving the pick, but he has enough speed and skills to play slot corner. Also, why did the Giants, Jets, Saints, Eagles, and the Panthers pass on Lee? All these teams needed WR and some went defense and the other teams chose ODB, Cooks, and Benjamin.

Maybe that's the plan then; otherwise why sign Bethea?

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shouldn't your first round pick be expected to start? If that is the case, why waste the money signing Bethea as a free agent?

I think their plans is to play him as a slot corner. Even if they picked Lee, he wouldn't start over Boldin and Crabtree. Other teams also passed on Lee. Why did they?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see what happens today. Maybe the Niners trade up to get Lee or maybe they saw something they didn't like about him. We're not privy to all the info they have.

Fair point.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe that's the plan then; otherwise why sign Bethea?

That is the plan. Harbaugh said so.

Kid has a lot of versatility and that is huge in the nfl.