• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

12 Years a Slave (2013)

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 hours, waste of time.

If this movie wins the academy award for best picture then I know there's an epidemic of 'White Guilt' going on in Hollywood.

Acting was good but the severe lack of plot and storyline made this movie drag on and on and on.
I was afraid of that before I saw it, and guess what, that's what happened.

Let me save you 2hrs and $10bucks.
***SPOILER ALERT***

White Man Bad,,,, beat on Black Slaves for 2 hours,,,, the end.

I was hoping for so much more.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Acting was top notch I agree. But the movie itself was rather dull. There wasn't anything in this movie that I hadn't seen already. I didn't dislike the movie, didn't love it, it just seemed like more of the same.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think it's a bit overrated. I didn't really learn anything from the movie having done extensive research on slavery as a former teacher.

For those not aware of how bad slavery was, the pic was an eye-opener. Good acting.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think it's a bit overrated. I didn't really learn anything from the movie having done extensive research on slavery as a former teacher.

For those not aware of how bad slavery was, the pic was an eye-opener. Good acting.

Many African Americans in my area don't, part of why I chose it for best picture is because of this. The significance of the film is a lot more than "wallstreet guy snorts coke and has orgies".

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked it. I didnt really expect too crazy of a story. Its called 12 years a slave, not 12 years on Mars. It was reality, he was lonely, miserable and in pain.

And Fassbender was awesome.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
White Man Bad,,,, beat on Black Slaves for 2 hours,,,, the end.

I was hoping for so much more.

Seems to me that you might have had preconceived notions of what the movie would be, then saw what you planned on seeing. I didn't see the movie portraying the White Man Bad aspect at all. The author pointed out that one Planter was a good man, but slavery created a situation where he was. An example of being a product of his society. I thought the story was excellent. And felt that portrayed economics and greed as just as bad as racism. Successful, educated, free black man sold into slavery and the horror that was his life until his white friends were able to free him. There aren't many examples of free men being sold into slavery that are told in the first person. If nothing else, the scene where Paul Giamatti runs a slave trading house in New Orleans should be an eye opener to most viewers. Best movie I saw this year. Or the movie with the most important story to tell anyway.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "bad" white guys were traders and slave drivers. Yes, they were violent. Is there a historical inaccuracy there?

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a very good film..and one that is worthy of winning a fair amount of awards, which I hope it does.

I also recently saw Blue Jasmine..and I thought it was great.

I plan on seeing Her in the next week or 2.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a very good film..and one that is worthy of winning a fair amount of awards, which I hope it does.

I also recently saw Blue Jasmine..and I thought it was great.

I plan on seeing Her in the next week or 2.

Her is next on my list. If I didn't like Juaquin Pheonix not sure Id see it. But I may not have watched Captn Phillips had it not been for Hanks. (Possible my second favorite film of the year.). Back to 12 Years, I wonder if some of the feelings of the storyline come from a lack of "starpower" for most of the movie? (Excluding Giamatti and Pitt for 8 minutes.).

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like strange movies, but Her was too weird for me.

Blue Jasmine was good, I liked the twist at the end. And it had the Diceman!