• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1-0

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
38-3

Pretty impressive way to start the season. Looked really solid on both sides, defense looks fast, and just swarms to the ball. Granted, the Texas offense looks like shit.

Offense looked good, one negative was the false starts by the line, I think it was 4 of them. Huge blow if Folston is out for a large amount of time. We can afford him being out next week, but would love to have him back vs GT.

Zaire 19/22 314 yards, 3 TD's. The stat line looks great, but what looked even better was his decision making. I don't recall him making one bad decision, he didn't force anything that wasn't there. He just let the game come to him. Good riddance, Golson.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol@ the people picking an upset, or thinking this game would be close

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did Keivarre and Tillery look?

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not much action for Russell, given the God awful Texas QB's.

Tillery was in on at least one big play that I remember. The defensive line really dominated the entire game. Without question

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas struggled to move Tillery or Cage, overall the entire D-Line did a great job against the run. I don't recall Russell making a lot of plays on defense but they were very unlikely to throw the ball his way anyway and the offense couldn't get anything going so he may not have been forced to "make plays". I would say Russell was consistent.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but TX is starting 2 freshmen on the OL. I'm happy with the win but I am tempering expectations. But nothing breeds success like success so it was a good learning exp. and I'm glad Kizer and D. Williams got some PT

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but TX is starting 2 freshmen on the OL. I'm happy with the win but I am tempering expectations. But nothing breeds success like success so it was a good learning exp. and I'm glad Kizer and D. Williams got some PT
Was glad to see Zaitre come out with lots of time left in the 4th. This allowed Kizer to get some semi-meaningful snaps as well as Dexter. Gotta get our youngsters some meaningful plays.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
great win. kelly needs to let MZ loose. kid is good.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
positive that stood out for me the most was the pass rush. game tracker 16 pass preasures. crazy. we didnt see that last year

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Russell was guarding their Daje Johnson whose longest catch went for 20 or it was John Burt who caught one pass for 48yds that led to their FG. I think they mentioned something about it on the sidelines, like the camera got a view and it showed some teammates razzing him or something, but I do recall Hines Ward saying that Russell hadn't played in 600 odd days and was rusty. I think he played well overall and didn't give up much at all in the 2nd half.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly got lazy with the play calling on a few drives that kept texas in the game way longer than they should. great performance all around. always good to kick someone's teeth. I don't think texas is very good though. heres to big win next wk

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly got lazy with the play calling on a few drives that kept texas in the game way longer than they should. great performance all around. always good to kick someone's teeth. I don't think texas is very good though. heres to big win next wk

You know I was a little curious about that. Does anyone have inside info on who's calling the plays? It was my understanding that Kelly still held the final say but that Sanford was going to be calling plays too. I'm curious... does one take a series and another the next, or one calls first downs to third downs, etc?

After hearing the talk about wanting to limit Malik's number of carries to 15 or under to save from the wear and tear of taking hits as well as possible injury, some of those designed runs for him made me scratch my head. A read-option QB that can't 'really' be an every-down Read-Option QB suggests that set isn't the primary set we should be using. With our line I'm not so sure we have to use it very much at all, good ol' power running should do the trick. I realize he's good at the read-option and he only made one bad read so far as I could tell, but do we still have to run the Read Option when we can still run the spread and generate a running game based on mismatches or line push?

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know I was a little curious about that. Does anyone have inside info on who's calling the plays? It was my understanding that Kelly still held the final say but that Sanford was going to be calling plays too. I'm curious... does one take a series and another the next, or one calls first downs to third downs, etc?

After hearing the talk about wanting to limit Malik's number of carries to 15 or under to save from the wear and tear of taking hits as well as possible injury, some of those designed runs for him made me scratch my head. A read-option QB that can't 'really' be an every-down Read-Option QB suggests that set isn't the primary set we should be using. With our line I'm not so sure we have to use it very much at all, good ol' power running should do the trick. I realize he's good at the read-option and he only made one bad read so far as I could tell, but do we still have to run the Read Option when we can still run the spread and generate a running game based on mismatches or line push?

it looked to me like Kelly was calling the plays but I could be wrong.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to be a downer, but this is a lot like how I felt after the 31(38)-0 win against Michigan last year. I still think this will be a great year, but losing Folston will hurt.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with pretty much all already posted other than I think Sanford is the one calling the O shots up in the box ... at least that's how they made it sound yesterday.

This was as close to a 'flawless' game I've seen the Irish play in a long time ... especially on an Opening Day game. It actually looked like BK had them ready to go from the very start for a change. Other than some procedure calls on linemen and a couple of gaffes in secondary, we looked awesome, albeit against a pretty young & shaky Texas team. Their offense is horrible!

The real test will be Week 3 against Ga Tech and that option they run. That game has me worried, but it is at home unlike having to travel to Clemson which I'm dreading that game.

GO IRISH -- get ready for Charlottesville!!!

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only Bright spot to my Yesterday. Work pissed me off and was felling sick before work.

MZ looked Studly but I expected that.

That D is gonna smack some heads off

Now to Virginia

awclayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it is hard to judge the defense because well, that texas offense was horrible. jaylon smith though....beast. it did remind me of the michigan game last year. maybe i was placing unrealistic expectations on the oline but sitting in the south endzone, they didnt seem to be busting wholes for the rbs except for a couple of runs by adams. but i'm being a little picky there. in person, the glaring difference between nd and texas was the speed of the irish wrs and the texas dbs. on a side note, it was a little disappointing to see all the orange in the stadium, although they were pretty quiet after the 1st quarter.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it is hard to judge the defense because well, that texas offense was horrible. jaylon smith though....beast. it did remind me of the michigan game last year. maybe i was placing unrealistic expectations on the oline but sitting in the south endzone, they didnt seem to be busting wholes for the rbs except for a couple of runs by adams. but i'm being a little picky there. in person, the glaring difference between nd and texas was the speed of the irish wrs and the texas dbs. on a side note, it was a little disappointing to see all the orange in the stadium, although they were pretty quiet after the 1st quarter.

Way more than the 5k allotment? For the first game of the year that is actually a little disappointing because that means Domers sold their tickets to Horns not vice versa.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way more than the 5k allotment? For the first game of the year that is actually a little disappointing because that means Domers sold their tickets to Horns not vice versa.

As little as they play I'm sure a lot of Texas fans were willing to pay good money to go to a game at Notre Dame Stadium, kind of one of those bucket list type of things.