• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Zone vs Power blocking scheme: Lions have it right

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are very nicely saying how godawful the old schemes were!

Correct, and I was told it was execution and the players sucked and would see no change with a different coach and no way they should go hat on hat. Well these guys are using both now, and Bell has had multiple plays over 20+ yards. Coach to players strengths and you will see execution.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct, and I was told it was execution and the players sucked and would see no change with a different coach and no way they should go hat on hat. Well these guys are using both now, and Bell has had multiple plays over 20+ yards. Coach to players strengths and you will see execution.
It was also Staffords fault too Gandy, dont forget that. Lol.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe I'd be one of the last to ever give Stafford a pass. This is about zone vs man, correct?
He wasnt getting the protection calls right according to some.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasnt getting the protection calls right according to some.

Suddenly he does now? Not buying it as complete reason. QBs blow calls sure, but this would be the first season with him blowing them over and over again.

I can spread the blame around to him and Swanson blowing some calls. I'm still sticking with his scheme could not be executed, because the same group is now protecting and opening holes. Are they all pro? Hell no but mixing it up and using both schemes is working with simplified blocking.

Ed, you coach and I know you understand all the different variations that can be involved with both blocking schemes. This OL does not suck and I knew they could pull off some man blocking. You should've seen it also.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tbh, Stafford is mostly responsible for slide protection calls only, right ?. Swanson needs to get it right with interior on what he's seeing from who's coming or dropping. asking ?

BTW, Swanson mostly likely questionable tomorrow after missing second straight practice with ankle sprainso Manny might be in.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tbh, Stafford is mostly responsible for slide protection calls only, right ?. Swanson needs to get it right with interior on what he's seeing from who's coming or dropping. asking ?

BTW, Swanson mostly likely questionable tomorrow after missing second straight practice with ankle sprainso Manny might be in.

First I can live with Manny. See if the trade pays off?

Yes and no Blue. Basically your right with all teams, however teams vary in who makes the calls or "the final call" I've read were a G can overrule the C call (G usually a vet). Then a QB can make the call also and overrule all. QBs will call out blitzers then the game inside the game starts. dummy calls with a real call mixed in. Why you constantly see defenses moving up and back during those calls.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to be a Dick.....,but...,.

Bells last three games: 25, 22 and 17 yards. Total. Cooter getting credit for those numbas is not a resume builder. (I wouldn't think of blaming Cooter for Bell being on the roster. But it's onhim for giving him carries.)

I have nothing to add to the man vs WhateverLombardi wanted to achieve conversation.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bells last three games: 25, 22 and 17 yards. Total. Cooter getting credit for those numbas is not a resume builder. (I wouldn't think of blaming Cooter for Bell being on the roster. But it's onhim for giving him carries.)

I have nothing to add to the man vs WhateverLombardi wanted to achieve conversation.

Bell's carries went from 14, 6, 7 in those games.

I got no problem giving him a few touches a game just to give Theo and Ameer a breather. Now if he Cooter starts giving him 10+ touches a game again. We got a problem.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I got no problem giving him a few touches a game just to give Theo and Ameer a breather. Now if he Cooter starts giving him 10+ touches a game again. We got a problem.

Right now Abdullah is the only one with enough vision to run behind this line and he needs to run stretch and off tackle. Anything inside of that and we increase the chance of him fumbling.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm preparing for the worst tonight.

But expecting something a little short of the best.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His stat lines were prolly 2,6,-4 in three other games with Lombardi. Not a Bell fan at all. Always have pushed for Riddick to get more touches. At the moment the Lions are stuck with what they got. Said it a bunch, I don't live by stats. This will never succeed with Bell as a premier back, that's a given. I don't feel the will win five more. However they as a unit have been good enough to win the last three.

When they need 1 or 2 and they get 2 or 3, I can live with it for now. I'm looking at how to get this unit better, cause as of now, it's what you get for 5 more games. Next year you can have hopes of no Bell.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His stat lines were prolly 2,6,-4 in three other games with Lombardi. Not a Bell fan at all. Always have pushed for Riddick to get more touches. At the moment the Lions are stuck with what they got. Said it a bunch, I don't live by stats. This will never succeed with Bell as a premier back, that's a given. I don't feel the will win five more. However they as a unit have been good enough to win the last three.

When they need 1 or 2 and they get 2 or 3, I can live with it for now. I'm looking at how to get this unit better, cause as of now, it's what you get for 5 more games. Next year you can have hopes of no Bell.
I have had hopes of no Bell for years.

Not hitting the reset button on account of Coach Buck Nekked.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was also Staffords fault too Gandy, dont forget that. Lol.

Thought it was all on the coaches? Your speech seriously inspired my Madden team. FYI.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
? HUH ?
NFL Draft Mock 2016 | NFL Draft Mock Draft

4 Detroit lions_logoslice.jpg StanleyRonnie.jpg Ronnie Stanley Notre Dame LOT Reach/Value: -4 Height: 6'6" Weight: 318 Alternate Pick #1 Jaylon Smith
Alternate Pick #2 Mackensie Alexander

For three years, I've observed the Lions' attempts to move LT Riley Reiff to RT and RG in training camps. The experiments were a dismal failure. I attribute this to Reiff's lack of motivation, and former OC Joe Lombardi's failed attempt to transition the Lions O-Line to a zone-blocking scheme. Per PFF Premium stats, Reiff is ranked 32nd among qualifying NFL Tackles. Cornelius Lucas (50th) seems miscast at RT. LaAdrien Waddle is dead last (76th). The need for an immediate upgrade is obvious, and Stanley fits nicely as a proto LT. His wide-bodied 6'6" frame carries 315 pounds of hate for an Irish team that's going places in the BCS rankings. Stanley and Ole Miss standout Laremy Tunsil are top-10 locks,and will push Reiff to the right side eventually. I have little doubt that one of these behemoths will be a Lion in 2016. Here's a nice breakdown of Stanley's strengths and weaknesses. We also have a play-by-play highlight video of Stanley vs. Syracuse.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suddenly he does now? Not buying it as complete reason. QBs blow calls sure, but this would be the first season with him blowing them over and over again.

I can spread the blame around to him and Swanson blowing some calls. I'm still sticking with his scheme could not be executed, because the same group is now protecting and opening holes. Are they all pro? Hell no but mixing it up and using both schemes is working with simplified blocking.

Ed, you coach and I know you understand all the different variations that can be involved with both blocking schemes. This OL does not suck and I knew they could pull off some man blocking. You should've seen it also.
I never for one second thought it was Stafford...others were blaming him thats why I said that. All calls, regardless of who is making them should be simple. Its pretty basic, you have 5 lineman on 4. Teams try to overload to one side or gap to get numbers from one side....hence the slide protection. The problem that I had with the Lombardi scheme(and this is going back to week 2 of last year) is that he called slow developing plays (7 and 5 steps). You beat the blitz by completing quick passes, getting them no t to blitz and then you dial up the 7 stepper to Calvin deep. Seems like he just left Stafford back there to get killed play after play and it wore on Stafford and of course caused turnovers.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Easy there Rod Wood. Did you see WireGrass Ranch's record last year? I think Millen might be running the team.