• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

You guys see this

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So... The Bears and all their great defensive teams from the Lovie Smith Era... They won multiple Superbowls right? We've seen that already. It would be nice to have...but I don't think we need the 85 Bears D, the Ravens D, or even the Seahawks of last season. If they can be in the top HALF of the league we're good. Winning is the only thing. That's my point- I took your original post as if they needed that "top 5 defense" I have a feeling that some Bear fans wouldn't be happy if we won every game 35-28. Cause it's not "The Chicago Way" Just win. I don't care how.
I believe in def and ball control. I believe that is what it takes to win in the playoffs. We need a top ten def to have a SB shot. A great passing game might win us a division, but come PO time, we need a full team on both sides of the ball.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, no one on this board is this "super fan" Bears SNL version of a fan that you keep claiming that EVERY single Bears fan on the face of the planet is. No one gives a fuck about the "Chicago way" or being identified as a "Great Defense". So, just stop with that.

Having a really good defense CLEARLY helps teams win in not just this league, but in the game of football in general. SO I am absolutely baffled as to why you're so shocked that a team's fans wants to see their team have a good defense. Like it's some kind of absurd and off of the wall thing.

I want to see this team have a top 10 defense, because I want them to contend for a SB title. Look at 3 of the 4 final four teams last season. SF, NE, and SEA. All had top defenses and ran the ball very efficiently. Yes, our weapons in the passing game are undeniable. However, you still have to play defense if you want to win in this league. Is it possible to win a SB with a "serviceable" defense… sure. However, if this defense is just middle of the pack, and the offense is great. I'd say it's far more likely we're headed for a fun 10-11 win regular season, and a playoff exit after maybe a win in the wild card or divisional round.

Which would be fine, and I wouldn't be upset. That would be an improvement for this team. Although, the ultimate goal is win a championship. And losing in the playoffs sucks regardless.

So, the point is. Stop acting like Bears fans are some strange anomaly, and are a bunch of beer drinking dumbasses because they; god forbid… want their team to have a "good defense". Who the hell wants that anyway? :L

What the hell are you talking about? I've been agreeing with you for awhile now... we agree on quite a bit actually- but then you have to start this- "I think every bear fan is a dumbass thing again" I didn't say that- I DID say- that I thought ONE posters topic came off that way to me. That's all. Love love love. Go Bears!

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Bears win the Superbowl and have the 17th ranked defense-
Would you be mad? No...

If they go 13-3 and go to the Superbowl with a Top 3 defense and lose...would you be happy? No. That's my point. (we saw that already)

While everyone would like to have a balanced team- it's just not that feasible in this era. Teams that get great production from guys on rookie contracts is what it will take to win. (hopefully that's the Bears over the next few years) Coaching/scheme/talent/health.
Most teams are cap heavy on one side of the ball. For years the Bears spent all their money on defense, now that's flipped.
And if you can tell me that ALL the posters on here are NOT like the radio callers who complain about Cutler/bitch about the loss of Urlacher/believe in TWTW... then I gotta a great deal on an ocean front condo in Springfield, IL I want to sell you. Come on man- you're smarter then then that. Peace.

Going to camp next week- gonna get a closer look at some of our rookies- gettin excited.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell are you talking about? I've been agreeing with you for awhile now... we agree on quite a bit actually- but then you have to start this- "I think every bear fan is a dumbass thing again" I didn't say that- I DID say- that I thought ONE posters topic came off that way to me. That's all. Love love love. Go Bears!

Dude, we're totally cool. I don't have anything against you.

Except for the fact that you try so hard to be this contrarian Bears fan, and talk condescendingly to people like it's some insane idea to want your team to have a stout defense.

Nobody here is this SNL version of a Bears fan that you have pictured in your head. We're not the beer guzzling dopes at bars that yell out "DAAAAA BEARS" and talk about "Bear weather" and how "Defense is our tradition" BLAH BLAH BLAH… etc etc…

Okay, well there's this guy that you'll probably see when the pre-season games start named "Brian McClaren". He IS that. But he's the board joke. Pay no attention.

If you drop that, I actually think you're more than a fine poster.

So, cheers bud. :suds:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Bears win the Superbowl and have the 17th ranked defense-
Would you be mad? No...

If they go 13-3 and go to the Superbowl with a Top 3 defense and lose...would you be happy? No. That's my point. (we saw that already)

My problem isn't AT ALL that you feel this way.

My problem is that EVERYONE here feels this way, and you act as though you're alone in this mindset. I just think you came to this board expecting a lot of those radio phone-in types, and that's not what this board is. This a pretty tight net group of posters that go back a ways together, most of us all of the way to the Grossman/Griese/Orton era. The "Super Fans" like that don't last often.

Once again… Cheers bud. :suds:

Last edited by a moderator:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"If you drop that, I actually think you're more than a fine poster."

Meant to edit the way that was worded. I sounded douchey. I didn't mean for it to come off like that.

What I meant, was; I think you're a good poster, and I truly enjoy having your input around. You've been a great addition, despite my early thoughts that you were a troll. Which was only because you brought so much conflict so fast.

I didn't mean to say; "you have" to drop anything. I just mean… I think your misreading certain people here as being apart of some preconceived notion you have about Bears fans. Which leads to a lot of your conflict with other posters here.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't say they won't be with certainty, but absolutely it would be silly to outright predict such a turnaround without seeing any proof of it on the field.

Even if things do turnaround in the blink of an eye in the NFL. Whether it be for good, or for bad. Last year, it was a quick turn for the worse. Hopefully, this year we can see our fortunes do a flip-flop on the D side.

Things can turnaround fast...but as bad as the rush D was...theres a lot to prove. Theyve made moves towards improvement...but as I always say its not better until that is proven.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were not top ten before the injuries. You allowed yards but were getting turnovers and returns.

Are you talking about previous seasons under Lovie, or just the handful games played last season before the injuries piled up?

Focusing on passing yards with most of the defenses that Lovie assembled is very misleading. YPA, DQBR, and defensive 3rd down pct were just about always in the top ten- and were facilitated by an above average ability towards stopping the run.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, we're totally cool. I don't have anything against you.

Except for the fact that you try so hard to be this contrarian Bears fan, and talk condescendingly to people like it's some insane idea to want your team to have a stout defense.

Nobody here is this SNL version of a Bears fan that you have pictured in your head. We're not the beer guzzling dopes at bars that yell out "DAAAAA BEARS" and talk about "Bear weather" and how "Defense is our tradition" BLAH BLAH BLAH… etc etc…

Okay, well there's this guy that you'll probably see when the pre-season games start named "Brian McClaren". He IS that. But he's the board joke. Pay no attention.

If you drop that, I actually think you're more than a fine poster.

So, cheers bud. :suds:

I know I'm still new to the board and you and others haven't seen me during the season. So that will alleviate some fears and misconceptions about me. Thanks. We all know that reading something- and interpreting something can be difficult to understand tone. We're good. :suds:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta a great deal on an ocean front condo in Springfield, IL I want to sell you.
That sounds nice and I am in the market. Cash OK?

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe in def and ball control. I believe that is what it takes to win in the playoffs. We need a top ten def to have a SB shot. A great passing game might win us a division, but come PO time, we need a full team on both sides of the ball.

Our offense was the best overall Bears offense i can ever remember. Not just passing, but overall. If our defense gets to half of what our offense is, we are going places.
Look i hate Joey too, but he does echos my sentiments from before last season. Our offense will be even BETTER than it was last season. Trestman has only begun on that side of the ball, and our defense needs to get a few stops a game, and a turnover here and there.
Now they have addressed the biggest problem from last year, the punter.
No seriously, the defense will be better, and if they get to playing as a unit by halfway through, we can fuck shit up. I believe that.
Come on guys, look at what they did on offense last year. Look at what Lovie got us by constantly bringing the great defense and hoping the offense could score.