• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yes!

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or he simply cannot control his temper. If it's the latter I'm not sure he belongs in charge on the sideline in the NFL. Perhaps he's got some more growing up to do first
Jim Harbaugh is just as animated, if not more, on the sidelines. The difference is Harbaugh is a "winner" and Schwartz is a "loser". They get treated differently bc of this, both by the media and fans.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that perception is a huge part of how the calls go, and I can't stand Harbaugh and his childish antics, but like you said he's produced great results, Schwartz hasn't.

Harbaugh's crap on the sidelines is pathetic. I don't know how he can watch tape of those temper tantrums and not be totally embarrased. I'd be ashamed of myself if I were in his shoes. I've also never heard a coach complain about the refs so much.

So yes, he's a winner, but still a total douche bag. I like Schwartz 1000 times better, for what it's worth. If I ever see Harbaugh in person you guys will know because it will be on PFT that a crazed Lions fan got arrested for punching him in the face. And I'm not joking in the least, I fucking hate that guy.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tpaulus said:
Mike Smith of the Falcons did it two weeks before the Thanksgiving game (and it was a national story for a couple of days b/c he cost his team points) and then Schwartz still cost us the game by doing it.

One was on a turnover, the other was on a scoring play. Both were in the 3rd quarter, besides the Lions were still up by 3 points. It's not like Schwartz gave the Texans the lead and the Lions couldn't recover from it. Had it been something like 12 year veteran Raiola snapping the ball to Hill on a HARD count in OT against the Titans to lose the game, then yes I would agree with you. But I don't... J.J. Watt used the crown of his helmet to hit Stafford in the chin on the final drive of the 4th quarter which went uncalled and would've moved the Lions into field goal range at the very least. Also, Jason Hanson had a chance to win the game in OT but missed the 47 yard field goal. The Lions aren't playing on a level playing field, their fighting an up hill battle.

tpaulus said:
So are you saying it's ok that Schwartz has lost so many more games than he's won because we've been losers for decades?

Taking over a team that couldn't even rank in the middle of the league on offense and at the bottom when not the very bottom of league on defense, takes time to get rid of castoff players. You'd be reaching to name anyone that could've gotten a winning record for the Lions out of the '09 season.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think somebody has themselves a man-crush on the Schwartz. The way you categorically defend him, his mistakes, and his very bad win/loss percentage is a little weird. You'd think he's won us a Super Bowl or three the way you defend him. Shit, I'd be happy with a playoff win first...

Schwartz just isn't that good man, the proof is in his record, let alone all of the other crap like the thanksgiving bungle, fighting w/ and chasing other coaches, players getting arrested multiple times a month, etc, etc...

What is it about him that you're so passionate about defending him?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking over a team that couldn't even rank in the middle of the league on offense and at the bottom when not the very bottom of league on defense, takes time to get rid of castoff players. You'd be reaching to name anyone that could've gotten a winning record for the Lions out of the '09 season.

Um, not sure if you know this or not, but it's 2013. Sure, I'll happily concede that 2009, and even 2010 would have been tough for any coach to do anything with, but then he followed a 10 win 2011 with a 4 win 2012. He's had time to fix the roster, so the 0-16 team he took over is no longer an excuse.

If you're willing to accept 4-12 and a coach who embarrasses us at least once a year (and only when we're on national tv), that's your decision. I'm not. I want a coach who wins. I want to go to the playoffs on a regular basis, win some playoff games. I even have these crazy dreams of winning the Super Bowl at some point and time.

Apparently going one-and-done in the playoffs once every four years is all you need to worship a coach though...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give it a rest with the record already Paulus. He took over a team with NO wins. You are being the same kind of poster you constantly bitch about.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Girls, girls, you're both pretty!

A coach gets a 1-year bye while he implements his system and then he must show improvement or it's him. The 10-6 season was a bit lucky and last year a bit unlucky, but are the Lions really looking like a team who is playing above their talent? I say no, and getting the most out of what you have is what separates good coaches from bad ones.

I also think that passion in any job is good, but having a loose-cannon temper like Schwartz' has no place in senior management in any function. If you can't keep it together, you can't make good decisions. He either has to channel the temper or go back to a subordinate role.

So,to sum up:

Brian Kelly, no thanks.

I. Want. Bill. Cohwer.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take Lovie Smith over Brian Kelly everyday that ends with Y.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Swarm, I'd actually like a coach that shows SOME emotion. No to Lovie and his lifeless self.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schwartz just isn't that good man, the proof is in his record, let alone all of the other crap like the thanksgiving bungle, fighting w/ and chasing other coaches, players getting arrested multiple times a month, etc, etc...

I really can't stand Schwartz, but it has nothing to with his W/L record. He took over a team that was 0-16. You can't expect him to perform miracles when the cupboards were bare when he took over.

The reason I don't like Schwartz is because his players have taken his persona onto the field and it cost the team many times with stupid personal foul penalties and it seems he doesn't have control of the team.

I think if he channeled his intensity and took control of this team -- the players can still play aggressive in your face football, but they would do so intelligently. The 15 yard penalties are killers. I haven't looked up how many they had, but the Lions seemed to do better last year in that department, so maybe we are seeing a change finally.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tpaul said:
Um, not sure if you know this or not, but it's 2013. Sure, I'll happily concede that 2009, and even 2010 would have been tough for any coach to do anything with, but then he followed a 10 win 2011 with a 4 win 2012. He's had time to fix the roster, so the 0-16 team he took over is no longer an excuse.

Um, not sure if you know this or not, but 2010 could've been just as easy an 8-8 season as it was 6-10. The season started out with the Calvin Johnson Rule... Game winning TD against the Bears. While speaking of da Bears... A push down on Jay Cutler by Suh that was called for "Unnecessary Roughness" set da Bears up for 1st and goal for a go ahead TD instead of 4th and short for the tie. Both calls were game changers. 2012 had at least 10 defensive backfield changes due injuries.

tpaul said:
Apparently going one-and-done in the playoffs once every four years is all you need to worship a coach though...

Apparently building a team that can beat the officials and opponents takes longer than 4 years and merits some support for a playoff appearance.

tpaul said:
I want a coach who wins. I want to go to the playoffs on a regular basis, win some playoff games. I even have these crazy dreams of winning the Super Bowl at some point and time.

I doubt you'll ever see those dreaming fulfilled in your life time wanting to turn HC's and personnel every 3 or 4 years. What are you going to do if the Lions are behind Schwartz and you get your wish to run Schwartz outta town... Stafford don't do a contract extension with Detroit but signs with another team?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Schwartz is 1-1 and this is his rubber year. So I'm leaving my judgement for the season. I think the team is more 2011 than 2012. I think they will win the games they are favored to win and lose the games vs. the elite teams (Ravens, Packers, Giants etc...). I don't think they'll make that jump over the top teams in the NFC this year. But Schwartz will keep his job and 2014 will be the year we expect the Lions to go to the NFC Championship.

But if they did tank, emotionless or not, Lovie Smith installing his D here with this offense would be a serious threat to the Packers. If Lovie can go 10-6 w Cutler and Marshall, he'd push 11-12 wins w/ Stafford and Megatron.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really can't stand Schwartz, but it has nothing to with his W/L record. He took over a team that was 0-16. You can't expect him to perform miracles when the cupboards were bare when he took over.

The win loss record to me is secondary when I rate Schwartz. He lacks discipline and the team takes on his persona! He is prone to the stupid mistake, the red flag to me was as stupid as, winning the coin toss in OT and kicking! He had a chance to know what guys like Reiff, Fox, Whithead, and Lewis could do but chose to play vets when the season had already gotten away from him.

The 10-6 season was nice but in retrospect those wins were not against top competition, the 8-8 Broncos being the best victory. The wide 9 and a total lack of a running game does not help Schwartz is a good coach argument either.

Now if he was winning games and finishing 9-7 and just missing the playoffs I could swallow my opinion but the Lions have not just missed they regressed. I also believe Mayhew has a fair amount of culpability as well but the discussion has spun to Schwartz.

What if Reiff is a right tackle only? What if Fox is injury prone and just not that good? What if Palmer, Whitehead and Lewis are just special team and depth guys? What if Levy is not the player he was his first two years but the guy we have watched last season?

The Lions need to be on the right side of all those questions to be a contender and I am not sure thats realistic. It would have been nice to know that in say games 12-16 last season!

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take Lovie Smith over Brian Kelly everyday that ends with Y.

I actually wouldn't mind Lovie if he wasn't married to that stupid fucking Tampa 2 system that's been figured out for 5 years now.

We went from that to this dreadful wide-9... why can't we run a defensive scheme that isn't fatally flawed for a change?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 15 yard penalties are killers. I haven't looked up how many they had, but the Lions seemed to do better last year in that department, so maybe we are seeing a change finally.

I'll give Schwartz some credit there- we had waaaay fewer personal foul penalties last year. He did clean that aspect up from the year before...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um, not sure if you know this or not, but 2010 could've been just as easy an 8-8 season as it was 6-10. The season started out with the Calvin Johnson Rule... Game winning TD against the Bears. While speaking of da Bears... A push down on Jay Cutler by Suh that was called for "Unnecessary Roughness" set da Bears up for 1st and goal for a go ahead TD instead of 4th and short for the tie. Both calls were game changers. 2012 had at least 10 defensive backfield changes due injuries.

Yep. That's why I said he got a pass for 2010 as well. It wasn't written in Spanish or anything, so I guess I don't get your point on this one either. You're trying to argue something that we're actually in agreement on. It was last year where he lost my confidence- there was no reason to do so poorly with the talent we had. Finishing the year on an 8 game losing streak was just embarrassing.

Plus, once the playoffs were mathematically out of reach, his stubborn refusal to play the young guys, some of whom are competing for starting roles this year, was incredibly short-sighted and just flat-out stupid, imo.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently building a team that can beat the officials and opponents takes longer than 4 years and merits some support for a playoff appearance.
Really? I know we get some bum calls, but you're really using this in your pro-Schwartz argument? I'm starting to get the feeling that I just might be arguing with a 14 or 15 year old kid who's pretty new to all of this...

I doubt you'll ever see those dreaming fulfilled in your life time wanting to turn HC's and personnel every 3 or 4 years. What are you going to do if the Lions are behind Schwartz and you get your wish to run Schwartz outta town... Stafford don't do a contract extension with Detroit but signs with another team?

What makes you think Stafford is behind Schwartz? Schwartz is a defensive coach. Linehan is the one, if any, that Stafford would be close with. He's his o-coordinator and a know QB guru. Stafford, imo, won't give two shits if Schwartz gets canned because he's still in line for a huge contract in a offense built around him featuring the very best WR in the game right now.

And your logic of wanting to change head coaches every three or four years makes no sense either. After 4 years what has Schwartz shown us that merits him keeping a job? How much longer do you think he needs to prove it? I've heard of loyalty, but this is ridiculous- he's supposed to be the one getting us wins, and he's simply not. What's so great about that you're so keen on defending the guy?

In his four year run as our HC he's lost twice as many as he's won, and almost half his wins came in one season. He'd need to rip off 5 straight 10 win seasons just to get back to a career .500 record in the win/loss department. A head coach should ultimately be judged on wins.

The Bears fired their coach last year after a 10 win season because he wasn't taking them deeper into the playoffs, and we have people here still stumping for Schwartz because he took us to the playoffs once in four seasons? Talk about lowered expectations...