• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WR Swain signed...

notmyfault

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess he showed better abilities than the vets?

The 49ers and ex Packers receiver Brett Swain agreed to a one-year deal today, according to Swain's agent. The former seventh-round pick beat out several bigger-named free agents, including T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Chris Chambers, to win a spot on the 49ers active roster.

Read more: 49ers Blog and Q&A: Niners sign WR Swain to a one-year deal

Last edited by a moderator:

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Off the top of my head they'll probably put him to use on ST's and he'll be there as an emergency WR. Probably offers better ST's than the competition.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had three special teams tackles in the Super Bowl.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Off the top of my head they'll probably put him to use on ST's and he'll be there as an emergency WR. Probably offers better ST's than the competition.

I was thinking the same thing. They would need his ST skills to lessen Delanie Walker's or Kyle Williams' ST assignments. This way, Walker or Williams can focus on offense... It make sense if you factor in Edwards being back after the bye and how much would a new WR be really useful against the Lions with less than a week of practice? ... As stated/ reported in one of the articles, Walker is a viable option at WR ... Therefore, giving him or Williams more offensive reps in practice and less ST responsibilities is a better option than bringing in someone to play WR...

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had 7 special teams tackles in last year's playoffs.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Though it would have been incidental, maybe Harbaugh saw him when he coached at University of San Diego? (Swain played at San Diego State when Harbaugh was there.) Plus, he's coming from Green Bay, a West Coast offense team. Plus, as you guys have said, he's not coming here to be the #1 receiver.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
lol... Am I imagining things or did one of the commentors in this article from Maiocco almost quoted my post above ??? Look for the comment from chunky... I guess we're on the same wave lenght

1911Alaska

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol... Am I imagining things or did one of the commentors in this article from Maiocco almost quoted my post above ??? Look for the comment from chunky... I guess we're on the same wave lenght

possible, But I am guessing its a guest or a member who wanted to sound like they knew what they were talking about so they stole your post LMAO

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was thinking the same thing. They would need his ST skills to lessen Delanie Walker's or Kyle Williams' ST assignments. This way, Walker or Williams can focus on offense... It make sense if you factor in Edwards being back after the bye and how much would a new WR be really useful against the Lions with less than a week of practice? ... As stated/ reported in one of the articles, Walker is a viable option at WR ... Therefore, giving him or Williams more offensive reps in practice and less ST responsibilities is a better option than bringing in someone to play WR...

This could be a very short term assignment. Although there could be competition between this guy and Colin Jones for the final active roster spot with Colin's PS eligibility.

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3

That sounds like a good idea. That would allow the "next man up" thing. While reducing his risk of injury on ST's

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we worked out chris chambers,Brian Finneran,T.J. Houshmandzadeh. Brett swain on tuesday i hope we decide to sign TJ or finneran also cause swain sucks...He can't can't catch but he is a decent special team guy

49ers work out Houshmandzadeh, 3 other WRs - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

First of all... Your post is late.. they already sign Swain..

Second... Swain makes more sense right now than Chambers, Hous, and Finneran in terms of being the #4 WR... How much help would Chambers, Hous, and Finneran be with a limited practice time? Of the 3 only Finneran played on Special Team but very sparringly... Swain was brought in specifically for his ST skill set. The Niners need to free up Delanie Walker or Kyle Williams on their special teams duties in order to focus more on offense. The Niners are not looking for a long term addition at WR right now because they know they will get Braylon Edwards back after the bye... By then Swain will be relegated to ST and be the #5 WR...

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Swain must have some pretty good blocking ability, because that was one of Morgan's strengths. That may have been what earned him the spot over the other more polished guys.