• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wow, details on how the Allen deal went down are pretty wild

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuckin' Emery is a man on a mission. I love it. He pulled some secret agent shit to get this deal done. Something out of an old detective film. lol

"It was a little bit right out of a movie," Emery said. "It was very quiet. Ken Harris came to the hotel at the owners meeting. We knew that to have it remain silent we couldn't have anybody see us meet or shake hands, so we met away from the hotel.

"But Ken had to come meet us and we were standing out facing the parking lot and [ESPN's] John Clayton walked up to Cliff Stein and shook his hand. Fortunately, John's back was to Ken walking up to say hi to me. I grabbed Ken. I pulled him around and put him behind a post, and then John walked off. So John was surprised along with everybody else because no one saw Ken."

Emery is convinced that the secrecy of the negotiations helped the Bears land Allen, a five-time Pro Bowler during 10 seasons with the Chiefs (2004-07) and Vikings (2008-13).

"It does make a difference on any contract situation because you remove the pressure of other situations," Emery said. "So the fact that we were able to do this quietly removed the counter [offers] per se. Jared felt that we were the right fit, and we were going to continue through without it getting out in the papers and allowing others to advance in terms of countering during the period that we were trying to come to an agreement."

Bears landed Allen on covert mission

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kinda tough to believe a story like that written on april first.

are you buying the app at nfl stadiums that get you a visit from a cheerleader too?

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard about this before April 1, so I suggest the timing is not even coincidental.

Yes Rich, it was crazy. I am liking Emery more and more.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Sounds like these guys need a lesson in stealth 101. Going outside to a parking lot adjacent to a hotel full of nfl pros and journalists is a pretty amateur move. He's lucky he didn't screw it up.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard about this before April 1, so I suggest the timing is not even coincidental.

Yes Rich, it was crazy. I am liking Emery more and more.

Man, if he could just DRAFT as well as he handles the F/A market... The guy is beast mode on F/A.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kinda tough to believe a story like that written on april first.

are you buying the app at nfl stadiums that get you a visit from a cheerleader too?

You're an idiot. Shut your mouth.