• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would the Foles Sack be a penalty last year?

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never really noticed it yesterday when it happened (was watching redzone)
but today when I seen the replay that injured Foles. It does look like he is driven into the ground. not a falling.
Last year when everyone was being penalized for not laying a pillow down for the QB, I think this is what the rule was put in place for. Now I dont think the defender was out to break the QB, but he wanted him to feel it.
If this was Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers or Clay Matthews, I would have no doubt a flag gets thrown. LOL.

By the way the rule is written & told to us how the refs interpret the rule. Does anyone else think this was a penalty?

& no I dont think there was any attempt at anything egregious happening here. Just watching the replay the next day I noticed. yeah he put him in the ground.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Methinks the league knows it’s a broken rule and only wants to officiate malicious versions of it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never really noticed it yesterday when it happened (was watching redzone)
but today when I seen the replay that injured Foles. It does look like he is driven into the ground. not a falling.
Last year when everyone was being penalized for not laying a pillow down for the QB, I think this is what the rule was put in place for. Now I dont think the defender was out to break the QB, but he wanted him to feel it.
If this was Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers or Clay Matthews, I would have no doubt a flag gets thrown. LOL.

By the way the rule is written & told to us how the refs interpret the rule. Does anyone else think this was a penalty?

& no I dont think there was any attempt at anything egregious happening here. Just watching the replay the next day I noticed. yeah he put him in the ground.

No penalty....the hit was just after the ball was released...he stepped into the throw and Jones connected and landed on him...suck for Foles, but I didn't see anything that should've drawn a flag.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s a penalty. There’s only one reason to drive the QB into the ground with the weight of your full body and that’s to hurt him. Did he intend to break his collarbone? No... but he did intend to injure him.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s a penalty. There’s only one reason to drive the QB into the ground with the weight of your full body and that’s to hurt him. Did he intend to break his collarbone? No... but he did intend to injure him.
It's Chris Jones, boss. Nick Foles and Jones were teammates in 2016. This is a hell of a reach: See post 4

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's Chris Jones, boss. Nick Foles and Jones were teammates in 2016. This is a hell of a reach: See post 4

So what? He’s trying to either get him out of the game or make him sore so he’s less effective.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah. they definitely relaxed on it.

No penalty....the hit was just after the ball was released...he stepped into the throw and Jones connected and landed on him...suck for Foles, but I didn't see anything that should've drawn a flag.

It shouldn't have been a flag last year. A QB is still a football player and contact is part of the game. All these pansy ass rules designed to "protect" the QB are ruining the game.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It shouldn't have been a flag last year. A QB is still a football player and contact is part of the game. All these pansy ass rules designed to "protect" the QB are ruining the game.
not arguing that. but this is the rules in place.

My thought is if the cowboys sacked him, & a flag got thrown. I would have called Bullshit instantly, but after viewing the replay I wouldnt have contested the flag. I might have bitched about, liked what you just posted. But under the rules wouldnt have brought out the black helicopters.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My thought is if the cowboys sacked him, & a flag got thrown. I would have called Bullshit instantly, but after viewing the replay I wouldnt have contested the flag. I might have bitched about, liked what you just posted. But under the rules wouldnt have brought out the black helicopters.

My first reaction when I saw a replay of the hit yesterday was "where was the flag?" I watched Clay get flagged for hits a lot weaker than that multiple times last year. A moment later, I was like "good! hopefully they fixed that stupidity".

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It’s pretty obvious that the Jax players thought it was a penalty. After that play Ramsey went after Hill with the clear intent to hurt him (no call) and Jack ended up fighting a guy. Why do you think that was?

If the refs aren’t gonna protect players than don’t be shocked when the players take matters into their own hands. That can’t be good for the game.

Oh... and one more thing... can we please stop with the bravado BS that QBs are football players too? Guys like Ramsey and Jack are playing to win a SB. Clearly, it’s very important that they have their number one QB there in order to do that. If the league isn’t going to protect QBs then the game really should be “who can injure the other teams QB”. That’s not football to me. After Foles went down it was open season on Mahomes. Who wants to see that?

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first reaction when I saw a replay of the hit yesterday was "where was the flag?" I watched Clay get flagged for hits a lot weaker than that multiple times last year. A moment later, I was like "good! hopefully they fixed that stupidity".
LOL
well that is understandable from a packer fan.
Clay had many that shouldnt have been a flag even under these rules.
As a cowboys fan I was so used to seeing holding calls. Why didnt that guy get a holding call? With all the nic nak calls that called on the boys. So I get how your 1st reaction is where is the flag :)

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what? He’s trying to either get him out of the game or make him sore so he’s less effective.

Yup....there is a difference between trying to 'hurt' someone and trying to 'injure' someone. As for the hit itself....I can't comment as I didn't see it.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The QB is often times in a vulnerable position (ie when they are throwing the ball). It’s phydically impossible to protect yourself when you are in that position. Players need to be protected when the game puts them in a vulnerable position.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s pretty obvious that the Jax players thought it was a penalty. After that play Ramsey went after Hill with the clear intent to hurt him (no call) and Jack ended up fighting a guy. Why do you think that was?

If the refs aren’t gonna protect players than don’t be shocked when the players take matters into their own hands. That can’t be good for the game.

Oh... and one more thing... can we please stop with the bravado BS that QBs are football players too? Guys like Ramsey and Jack are playing to win a SB. Clearly, it’s very important that they have their number one QB there in order to do that. If the league isn’t going to protect QBs then the game really should be “who can injure the other teams QB”. That’s not football to me. After Foles went down it was open season on Mahomes. Who wants to see that?
These two teams have been in fights, shouting matches, etc going back to 2016 when Foles was starting, briefly, for the Chiefs.

They do not like each other at all. Least surprising prop bet would've been a player ejected in Jacksonville. Foles has nothing to do with it though.

2016: Travis Kelce ejected
2018: Chris Jones ejected
2019: Myles Jack ejected

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

honestly. I didnt even think of that. the ol' baseball if you bean our guy we will get your guy analogy. (or hockey version actually) Not sure this was true, but I could see it being feasible.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These two teams have been in fights, shouting matches, etc going back to 2016 when Foles was starting, briefly, for the Chiefs.

They do not like each other at all. Least surprising prop bet would've been a player ejected in Jacksonville. Foles has nothing to do with it though.

So which is it... the teams hate each other (which would support a theory that Jones was trying to injure Foles) or the altercations happened in response to the hit on Foles?

Sounds like you want it both ways.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My avatar is still Kelce getting ejected from a Jags game in 2016 because I'm lazy.

These teams definitely don't like each other. Foles getting carted off is what caused all of the Jags players to start playing dirty as far as I can tell. I think it could've been a penalty but it definitely wasn't on purpose. Ramsey getting into Hills face after throwing him down probably should've prompted some ref action of some kind. Jack grabbing Mahomes in the helmet was probably malicious considering what happened a few minutes later. Very chippy game.

Jacksonville probably thought they could win a Super Bowl this year and their defense completely completely emasculated in the first quarter and then Foles going down was probably a lot to take. Chiefs fans also made it almost look like a home game.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So which is it... the teams hate each other (which would support a theory that Jones was trying to injure Foles) or the altercations happened in response to the hit on Foles?

Sounds like you want it both ways.
Not an either or- it's parallel. It was a topic going into the game. Foles (possibly Chris Conley) are the two last guys on the entire roster that are getting targeted. It was always going to be one thing or another- they simply don't like each other. Wouldn't have mattered if Foles stayed healthy or not- someone was doing something. This wasn't malicious, but the Jags reacting to that? Maybe, could also be getting their asses whooped too.