• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Worse pass protection: Arizona or Seattle

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks fan here. I have to ask your opinion after this game.

I know that both of these defenses have good front sevens, but I was very unimpressed with the OL play on both teams, specifically in terms of pass protection.

I think that the Seahawks will be ok when they get their 2 OTs back from injury but they are currently not performing at a decent level.

The Cards OL struggled big time in both in pass and run. Their passing yardage was inflated by Seattle dropping back in coverage in the 4th and letting Palmer pick up passes over the middle.

Thoughts?

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cards line still needs to be revamped. We added cooper which should help and got rid of that bum brown. We need to draft a left tackle in the first round and maybe spend a third rounder on another OL. Palmer was hurried the entire game which is primarily the fault of the offensive line.

The Seahawks will be fine. You have a couple of guys coming back soon and should be ready by the time real football starts getting played. You guys need a little work but overall, that is a working unit.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After a rough start, the Cards D played pretty well for the most part and Palmer is a HUGE upgrade over the QB debacle of last year but he isn't a great long term answer.

Too bad that the OL is horrible. I am not meaning to offend with that statement but if they were even average the Cards could be a good squad and possible contender. As they OL stands now, I can't see the playoffs being in the picture.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After a rough start, the Cards D played pretty well for the most part and Palmer is a HUGE upgrade over the QB debacle of last year but he isn't a great long term answer.

Too bad that the OL is horrible. I am not meaning to offend with that statement but if they were even average the Cards could be a good squad and possible contender. As they OL stands now, I can't see the playoffs being in the picture.

Completely agree. The OL is below average and has been that way for nearly a decade. The only reason we have had decent success is because Kurt Warner was able to make the pass in three seconds or less. Palmer is a pocket passer which does not bode well for this team. We need to do what the 49ers did a few years back and use two high picks on offensive linemen. It will only be a matter if time before we draft another quarterback but until then, Palmer has to play stop loss.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You haven't been watching this year if you think stink Palmer has been a huge upgrade. He's been a tiny upgrade and that's just because the standard was so low it'd be hard not to be a slight improvement. He's been garbage for 5 straight weeks.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You haven't been watching this year if you think stink Palmer has been a huge upgrade. He's been a tiny upgrade and that's just because the standard was so low it'd be hard not to be a slight improvement. He's been garbage for 5 straight weeks.

Non-cardinals fans see it as a bigger deal than it is. Palmer is really no better than a top 20-25 quarterback but at least he can be called a legitimate starter. We have not been able to say this since Kurt Warner. I actually believe that it is time to give Stanton a shot. Carson Palmer and the offensive line are the main reasons why we are losing. This offense took a step forward but it is nowhere near being able to compete with this division.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was speaking in comparision to the Skelton/Lindley combo from last year. I suppose that Kolb was actually better in terms of turnovers but the guy is a walking injury.

Given even an average OL, I think that Palmer could still be sucessful but he is a sitting duck behind that OL with his lack of mobility.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was speaking in comparision to the Skelton/Lindley combo from last year. I suppose that Kolb was actually better in terms of turnovers but the guy is a walking injury.

Given even an average OL, I think that Palmer could still be sucessful but he is a sitting duck behind that OL with his lack of mobility.

You are correct. I would like an Andrew luck type quarterback(or even a taller Russell Wilson if you want). A proto-typical quarterback that is a pocket passer but is not afraid to scramble when the defense gets heavy.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of Palmer's most awful throws last night were when he was given great protection. It seems like he's getting worse. I expect him now to freak out and make bad plays under pressure, but when protected I expected average to good QB play and we aren't even getting that.

Oakland fans and others warned us his stats are inflated and he just had a lot of yards last year because the team was constantly coming from behind and Defenses were in Prevent mode. We saw it again yesterday. He is responsible in big part for why they are in a hole and the hole eventually gets so big the D goes prevent and gives him short passes...he takes them (about 13 of them in a row) and the yardage stats add up...but watching the game we all know he sucked.

arvi_mu

Cards fan for Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say the Cardinals OL was worse last night. Mostly because Wilson makes the Seahawks OL better than they are. That first TD was awesome. Anyone that watches this kid play and doesn't think he is elite is crazy. He made play after play. Think about it. The Cardinals defense was pretty good last night and the Seahawks didn't punt the ball in the first half. I know there was a fumble and a turn over on downs, but still. The Seahawks were able to move the ball and they were without some linemen and are still below average at receiver.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say the Cardinals OL was worse last night. Mostly because Wilson makes the Seahawks OL better than they are. That first TD was awesome. Anyone that watches this kid play and doesn't think he is elite is crazy. He made play after play. Think about it. The Cardinals defense was pretty good last night and the Seahawks didn't punt the ball in the first half. I know there was a fumble and a turn over on downs, but still. The Seahawks were able to move the ball and they were without some linemen and are still below average at receiver.

Wilson is the real deal... His arm strength is improving as a pro and his ability to stay calm in big situations is standing out... Not many qb's in the league would survive Seattle's weak pass protection right now... We've been playing short handed on our O-line pretty much all year... And the Cards do have a very talented defense and did a great job applying pressure last night...

arvi_mu

Cards fan for Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson is the real deal... His arm strength is improving as a pro and his ability to stay calm in big situations is standing out... Not many qb's in the league would survive Seattle's weak pass protection right now... We've been playing short handed on our O-line pretty much all year... And the Cards do have a very talented defense and did a great job applying pressure last night...

As a Seahawk fan, are you OK with designed runs for Wilson? That seems too risky for a guy that is slight in build. I am not saying he is a weak guy by any means, but a 300 lb lineman hitting him while on a designed run would make me a bit nervous if I was a fan of that team. Do you Seahawk fans feel the same way?

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Seahawks had Carson Palmer as their QB, they would probably have a similar record as the Cardinals. When your oline sucks, you need a QB that can run. Wilson is very good at throwing on the run.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Seattle has prob an extra win than us if they have Stink Palmer. Beast mode is worth an extra win himself.

Scorpion14

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carson Palmer is a huge upgrade over last season. The guys we had in this position our lucky just to be on a NFL roster. In regards to the Cardinals the offensive line was fine considering who they were going up against. I expect this line to be solid this week versus the Falcons and I expect a win.

Seahawks fans have been spoiled so they really don't know what a bad offensive line looks like. If they were to see the Cardinal line week in and week out for the last two or three years they would know what bad is.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Seahawk fan, are you OK with designed runs for Wilson? That seems too risky for a guy that is slight in build. I am not saying he is a weak guy by any means, but a 300 lb lineman hitting him while on a designed run would make me a bit nervous if I was a fan of that team. Do you Seahawk fans feel the same way?
Wilson's awareness really has protected him from taking too many big hits as he really has a knack not only for scrambling but also knowing when to get down. For all of the runs he does he really has not taken many shots. Also it seems to me that he is actually not taking too many called runs but has done a lot of improvising due to the line protection breaking down quickly. That being said, the amount of contact that he has taken is starting to make me wince a little. Hopefully the OL can get healthy and give him some more time in the pocket.

arvi_mu

Cards fan for Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson's awareness really has protected him from taking too many big hits as he really has a knack not only for scrambling but also knowing when to get down. For all of the runs he does he really has not taken many shots. Also it seems to me that he is actually not taking too many called runs but has done a lot of improvising due to the line protection breaking down quickly. That being said, the amount of contact that he has taken is starting to make me wince a little. Hopefully the OL can get healthy and give him some more time in the pocket.

He had a couple of designed called runs against the Cardinals. I am not talking about a pass play that takes off on. That isn't designed that way. I am referring to the called runs. Seems like no need to call a play where the designed end result is for him to get tackled.

arvi_mu

Cards fan for Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carson Palmer is a huge upgrade over last season. The guys we had in this position our lucky just to be on a NFL roster. In regards to the Cardinals the offensive line was fine considering who they were going up against. I expect this line to be solid this week versus the Falcons and I expect a win.

Seahawks fans have been spoiled so they really don't know what a bad offensive line looks like. If they were to see the Cardinal line week in and week out for the last two or three years they would know what bad is.

Carson Palmer is a moderate upgrade over last season. Why does everyone seem to think this guy is all that good? What has he done? He had a great season before he blew out his knee. He hasn't done much since. He isn't a franchise QB at this point anymore. Why do we want to just upgrade that most important position on the field. The team needs to actually get good a that position. And Palmer isn't good. This is a wasted season with him. They don't even have a young guy that he can mentor. What is the point?

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carson Palmer is a moderate upgrade over last season. Why does everyone seem to think this guy is all that good? What has he done? He had a great season before he blew out his knee. He hasn't done much since. He isn't a franchise QB at this point anymore. Why do we want to just upgrade that most important position on the field. The team needs to actually get good a that position. And Palmer isn't good. This is a wasted season with him. They don't even have a young guy that he can mentor. What is the point?

Do the Cards fans have an improved view of Palmer after recent performances? He certainly seems to have redeemed himself lately and there was a lot of hate before.
Certainly better than the scrubs you guys threw out there last year!

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Palmer has been a pretty good QB for most of the season. Some fans don't understand the NFL is a QB league that happens to be very short on good QB(s). A few teams have a great QB, a slighter larger number of teams have a good QB, a few more teams have an above average QB, & the other half of the league is looking for a QB. Since Warner retired, the Cardinals went into each season in that latter category. With Palmer, the Cardinals now have an above average to good QB.

Palmers early season struggles(Int) can be directly attributed to both the O-line & the WR(s)/TE(s) not fully understanding Arians' offense. It is not a coincidence that after the switch at LT that Palmer has had his best games. With a clean pocket, Palmer can be a very good QB, as witnessed in the last 3 games.

I am not saying that Palmer is the long term answer at QB for the Cardinals, but he is a very good short term solution at the position over the next few seasons. It is kinda a similar situation to which AZ had with Warner. This time instead of having Whiz & Lienart as the future, we have Arians & Tom Moore to search for a young QB to develop in the next draft. While Palmer gives us a chance to win right now.

Palmer is giving us steady QB play, which is more than we can say we have had since Warner retired.

Last edited by a moderator: