• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Cup Predictions

StuUKWI

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's going to win?

Sleeper picks? Deep sleeper?

Which team will be a surprise struggler?

How will the Concacaf teams do?

StuUKWI

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's going to win?

Sleeper picks? Deep sleeper?

Which team will be a surprise struggler?

How will the Concacaf teams do?
I'll have a go.

Really tough to pick a winner this year I think. Probably seven or eight teams who could win. I'll go out on a limb and pick Germany (ugh). Decent defense and goal all throughout the team.

I like Denmark to reach at least the quarter finals but everyone seems to think the same, so I'll say Serbia. Great forward line and midfield and a coach (Dragan Stojkovic) who was one of my favorite ever players. I like Japan to get some kind of result against one of the big boys even if they don't advance and the same for South Korea.

Bit worried about this as they seem to be a popular choice to win it all but I think Argentina might struggle. Might not have an issues in group play but a really difficult path to the final. France or Denmark in the second round, probably Holland in the QF and Brazil in the semis - I could say them losing to any one of those teams.

Concacaf - tough draws for all four teams. I could see them all failing to advance. USA v Wales will be a key game for the Americans. Wales are fired up and will be dangerous. I can see Canada getting a draw with Belgium but even their game against Morocco won't be easy.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to say the Netherlands should have an easy run to at least the semi finals.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just did an online bracket...

- Honestly know very little about African and Asian teams

My Group winners (1, 2):
A Dutch, Ecuador (would have gone Senegal... but Mane out unless they get the witch doctor to work his magic... Ecuador has a lot of speed and physicality... they surprise... Qatar is at home, but I do not want them advancing having bought the World Cup for 2022)
B England, USA (going with my heart a bit too much on 2nd pick... need to beat Wales in their 1st game)
C Argentina, Mexico (Argentina has owned Mexico in the World Cup... hope it continues)
D France, Denmark (France should walk through this group despite all the injuries)
E Germany, Spain (top 2 easy to pick... the order could be reversed)
F Belgium, Croatia
G Brazil, Serbia (Brazil should walk through this group)
H Portugal, Uruguay (this was tough one for 2nd team... think this is toughest group top to bottom... Uruguay has some good young talent and always a fiesty team for country of 4M people... hopefully they sit Suarez on bench when they play Ghana :D )

With those results:

2nd Round:
Dutch over USA
England over Ecuador
Argentina over Denmark
France over Mexico
Germany over Croatia
Spain over Belgium
Brazil over Uruguay (I hope this matchup happens... Uruguay always tough matchup for Brazil and I always celebrate when Brazil is bounced living in Argentina)
Portugal over Serbia

3rd Round
Argentina over Dutch (many classic matchups between these two... but Messi´s last Cup and a better defense, they will get to semi´s)
England over France - midfield injuries catch up with France and the pressure to defend title
Brazil over Germany - retribution for 2014
Portugal over Spain - Battle of Iberian Penninsula goes to Portugal... however... appears Ronaldo is trying to piss off his team... so maybe I got this wrong.

Brazil over Argentina - Argentina got the Copa America on Brazilian turf... but speed of Brazil too much and Messi has no magic to see Albiceleste through to final
Portugal over England - Portugal if Ronaldo can play nice... think Portugal has a good team, England buckles once again in semis

Brazil over Portugal - all Portuguese speaking final and the colony gets the better of the former landlord and pulls in title #6. Despite wanting Brazil out at every turn... they get it down and continue to be the dominate power of South American football at the World Cup.

Brazil has talent across the board and too much speed and skill and the Joga Bonito cannot be stopped..... ugggghhhhh!!!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll have a go.

Really tough to pick a winner this year I think. Probably seven or eight teams who could win. I'll go out on a limb and pick Germany (ugh). Decent defense and goal all throughout the team.

I like Denmark to reach at least the quarter finals but everyone seems to think the same, so I'll say Serbia. Great forward line and midfield and a coach (Dragan Stojkovic) who was one of my favorite ever players. I like Japan to get some kind of result against one of the big boys even if they don't advance and the same for South Korea.

Bit worried about this as they seem to be a popular choice to win it all but I think Argentina might struggle. Might not have an issues in group play but a really difficult path to the final. France or Denmark in the second round, probably Holland in the QF and Brazil in the semis - I could say them losing to any one of those teams.

Concacaf - tough draws for all four teams. I could see them all failing to advance. USA v Wales will be a key game for the Americans. Wales are fired up and will be dangerous. I can see Canada getting a draw with Belgium but even their game against Morocco won't be easy.

Not a lot of lover for the South American teams there :D

I like Argentina to be in the semis:
- Messi´s last run
- Team is not playing with all the pressure of prior teams now that they have Copa America under their belt
- Scaloni is doing good job as coach
- Goaltending and defense always a big question in past... this is their best goaltender and backline since I have moved here

Unfortunately they meet up with Brazil in semis

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's tough to bet against France. I could see Belgium go deep in this cup. My surprise dark horse team is Denmark.

StuUKWI

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Copying your format. :D

My Group winners (1, 2):
A Holland, Ecuador - agree on this one. I too would have picked Senegal before Mane's injury.
B England, Wales - but wouldn't be surprised at any team getting out of this group.
C Argentina, Poland
D Denmark, France
E Germany, Spain - I think Japan will cause an upset along the way though.
F Croatia, Belgium - can see Canada pushing Belgium close for second.
G Brazil, Serbia
H South Korea, Uruguay - really competitive group. Love Portugal's midfield (especially Bernardo Silva) but I think the coach holds them back.

With those results:

2nd Round:
Holland over Wales
England over Ecuador
France over Argentina (sorry)
Denmark over Poland
Germany over Belgium
Spain over Croatia
Brazil over Uruguay - curious to see if Uruguay play Suarez and Cavani or opt for a younger front line.
Serbia over South Korea

3rd Round
France over Holland
England over Denmark
Germany over Brazil - really tough one to call.
Spain over Serbia

Germany over France
Spain over England - like the Croatia semi 4 years ago, England just can't get a hold of the ball in midfield and Pedri and Gavi pass them to death.

Germany over Spain. - wanted to pick Spain but I think they could struggle for goals whereas Germany have so many threats - Havertz, Sane, Gnabry, Muller, Musiala, Goretzka...

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A: Netherlands and Ecuador
B: England and Wales
C: Argentina and Poland
D: France and Denmark
E: Germany and Spain
F: Belgium and Croatia
G: Brazil and Cameroon
H: Portugal and Uruguay

Portugal is going to win it this year.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Copying your format. :D

My Group winners (1, 2):
A Holland, Ecuador - agree on this one. I too would have picked Senegal before Mane's injury.
B England, Wales - but wouldn't be surprised at any team getting out of this group.
C Argentina, Poland
D Denmark, France
F Croatia, Belgium - can see Canada pushing Belgium close for second.
G Brazil, Serbia
H South Korea, Uruguay - really competitive group. Love Portugal's midfield (especially Bernardo Silva) but I think the coach holds them back.

With those results:

2nd Round:
Holland over Wales
England over Ecuador
France over Argentina (sorry)
Denmark over Poland
Germany over Belgium
Spain over Croatia
Brazil over Uruguay - curious to see if Uruguay play Suarez and Cavani or opt for a younger front line.
Serbia over South Korea

3rd Round
France over Holland
England over Denmark
Germany over Brazil - really tough one to call.
Spain over Serbia

Germany over France
Spain over England - like the Croatia semi 4 years ago, England just can't get a hold of the ball in midfield and Pedri and Gavi pass them to death.

Germany over Spain. - wanted to pick Spain but I think they could struggle for goals whereas Germany have so many threats - Havertz, Sane, Gnabry, Muller, Musiala, Goretzka...

I like Portugal´s midfield as well... Silva is great player IMO. Ronaldo´s recent club team actions could carry over to Cup if he does not check his ego (may be impossible).. then yesterday read about Bruno/Ronaldo interaction. This team could be repeat of 2010 French team. But made my selection and will stick with it... wanted someone different in final.

I am hoping France and Argentina each win their pool... France would be difficult matchup for Argentina with their speed.

Uruguay for CONMEBOL rotated starting Nunez, Suarez, Cavani and whoever was on bench came on in 2nd half.

Hoping for a lot of good football in next month.... work remote, so will have flexibility to watch Argentina/USA games.

Rooting interests in order:
1. USA 2. Argentina 3. Germany (ancestry and always my 2nd team before moving here) 4. England

My brother is huge Dutch fan after USA since early 90s. His expectations are tempered for this Cup and their chances.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone could have predicted this...

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I put some $ on both England and Belgium to win. More on England

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well... USA started out well controlling ball and playing fast. Gales made some half time adjustments and USA appeared tired until got some subs on the field.

Zimmerman with very bad foul, Bale had his back to the goal.

For USA to advance may come down to goal differential.

Some interesting facts I read:
  • Weah was the first player to score against Wales in World Cup since Pele in 1958 (Wales 1st time at Cup in 64 years)
  • Adams 3rd youngest captain since 1950 at men´s World Cup
  • Musah youngest player to start for USMNT at World Cup
  • USA winless in last 10 matches vs European teams at FIFA World Cup, last win 2002 vs Portugal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saudia Arabia with the huge upset over Argentina.

Argentina controlled the action, Saudia Arabia with only 3 shots and 2 on goal and they both hit the back of the net. Both were beautiful goals.

Argentina now probably needs to win vs Mexico and Poland to advance... pressure has amped up, and the teams under Messi have played tight many times in big games with pressure.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saudia Arabia with the huge upset over Argentina.

Argentina controlled the action, Saudia Arabia with only 3 shots and 2 on goal and they both hit the back of the net. Both were beautiful goals.

Argentina now probably needs to win vs Mexico and Poland to advance... pressure has amped up, and the teams under Messi have played tight many times in big games with pressure.
I'm not a big fan of this Argentina squad, but that was beyond shocking

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well... USA started out well controlling ball and playing fast. Gales made some half time adjustments and USA appeared tired until got some subs on the field.

Zimmerman with very bad foul, Bale had his back to the goal.

For USA to advance may come down to goal differential.

Some interesting facts I read:
  • Weah was the first player to score against Wales in World Cup since Pele in 1958 (Wales 1st time at Cup in 64 years)
  • Adams 3rd youngest captain since 1950 at men´s World Cup
  • Musah youngest player to start for USMNT at World Cup
  • USA winless in last 10 matches vs European teams at FIFA World Cup, last win 2002 vs Portugal

They took their foot off the peddle in the 2nd half and Wales turned it on. Zimmerman as well as he was defending entire match he really messed up that challenge. I see why he did it but a player of his caliber knows better to not do that.

I do not see the US advancing very fair sadly

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Confederation of African Football with a couple of very strong outings today

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You called Japan upset, kudos to you!... but you have Germany winning, so maybe not the shock you wanted :D

I wish I could have watched the game, always love watching Japan play, they hustle, play well as team and love to attack even strong opponents. And their fans are the greatest picking up after the game at stadium win, lose or tie.

Would love to see Japan come out of this group.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Confederation of African Football with a couple of very strong outings today

Tunisia tied Denmark 0-0 which other game referring to? Senegal lost on Monday... did not watch, but was scoreless until late. Today Morocco also tied Croatia.

AFC with 2nd shocker today... yesterday Saudi Arabia 2-1 over Argentina and today Japan 2-1 over Germany. Qatar and Iran not such good results for AFC. South Korea v Uruguay should be a good game Thursday.