• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wonder where the Pirates fit in this

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Angels Trying To Move Haren, Santana: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Not so much that I am overly interrested in either of these two, but I am more referring to the last paragraph in the article. I know they don't really plan to offer Karstens or Morton a contract, and it would be hard to trade either with their recent injury history, but IMO Karstens would be more appealing then either Haren or Santana, and Morton could be interresting as well to other teams since he is cheap and under team control. There have to be teams with deep pockets and time to wait.......Cubs........ who could be looking to deal overpriced talent.......Soriano......... for young pitchers with years of control.

To that end, I wouldn't mind see us taking a flyer on Haren or Santana in a Burnett type deal, take on just enough salary to where you don't have to give up any minor league talent.

On another note, there is rumors floating about that KC is toying with the idea of trading one of its young hitters. Butler, Moustakas, Gordon, Hosmer were all mentioned. Not sure if I entirely trust the source since it was Buster Posey and he is usually wrong on these type things, but why not make an offer. Personally I would try to target either Moustakas or Wil Meyers, but would have declining interrest in the others. Possibly Hosmer I guess, but I wouldn't give up nearly as much for him right now as I would have last offseason and/or probably next offseason either.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Royals actually didn't have to give up much to get Santana but glad the Pirates didn't make a move like that with his salary ($13 million?)

If they are seriously looking to deal one of their young hitters I doubt the Pirates could give them what a LOT of other teams could unless one of the pirate tops Pitching prospects is involved. WIth that I doubt NH is willing to move any of them.
With you I agree the asking price would be too high for the lack of talent the team has to counter with.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would love to see Dan Haren in a Pirates uniform. Assuming it wouldn't cost much (C prospects), then absolutely I would pursue him if I were the Pirates.