• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Wk 4 vs Chiefs

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's officially time to move on from week 3.

The Kansas City Chiefs come into the Steel City for a Sunday Night Showdown...the Steelers 2nd national game in this young season. Both teams come in with 2-1 records, but I'm sure entirely different mindsets. The Chiefs manhandled the Jets (a team the Steelers play this season) in KC and I won't bother to mention again how the Steelers arrived at the same record.

I'm typically not one to make much out of stats with such a small sample size, but it's noting a few things.
  • Total OFC...Steelers rank T21...Chiefs rank 22
  • Total DEF...Steelers rank 27...Chiefs rank T11
When you really drill down, the teams are fairly close in terms of resistance to scoring, but KC is doing much better taking the ball away and creating negative plays...they only have 3 sacks to 1 for PIT, but they have 8 interceptions compared to 2 for PIT.

OFC...PIT avg 354 ypg, KC 332, but due to the 3 pt effort last week KC is slightly ahead on scoring 23.0 ppg vs 21.7 for PIT.

Injuries...Steelers, Golden (hamstring), Foster (elbow/chest), Eli Rodgers (Turf Toe) Shazier (knee) look to be the most serious, but due to him being a rookie, Tomlin has said he needs to see Davis (back) on the practice field before he goes. Mitchell also is dinged but it looks as if he and Timmons will be a go at this point. Look for Finney, Shamarko and maybe Justin Gilbert to get some snaps...also Wheaton will likely get a chance to redeem himself with Rodgers out. The fact that Jacob Hagen was signed to the PS today tells me they're not comfortable with the timeline for Golden as hammies can be tricky.

I haven't really looked into KC yet, but we'll check into as the week goes along.

This game...OFC...The Steelers get Bell back this week. Tomlin has said his practice this week will determine his work load, but I expect DWill will still get a fair amount of touches this week. I spoke of Wheaton but really nearly every one one both sides of the ball are looking for redemption from last week. These teams have faced off the last 2 seasons so they should know what to expect in terms of base scheme. Worth noting...Marcus Peters has 4 picks already so Ben needs to be careful throwing in his direction.

Without Justin Houston, they are not as fierce on pass rush, put AVill needs to get his game back in gear vs Hali...aging, but can still play.

DEF...I like to call Alex Smith check down Charlie, but he has a legitimate deep threat in Maclin...Chris Conley I followed a bit from his UGA days...a capable WR2 and the TE Kelce is top shelf...Butler has to do something different this week as what he showed last week is simply not working in terms of QB pressure...he might still play it safe with potential changes of personnel on the back end, but if it's getting the same results as the 1st 3 games fans are going to grow restless I think.

Outlook...Tomlin's teams typically bounce back after a poor showing and it can't get much poorer than last week so I expect the OFC especially to play better and put up 23-27 pts vs a pretty good def but they are also lacking in the pressure dept...27-23 PIT

What say you?

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 31-28 Pitt.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Introducing... Eli Ro'd'gers

t5HQBpq.png

Sorry @ATL96Steeler ... The spelling nazi inside me couldn't resist

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offense... As ATL noted, this unit is still capable of doing damage to the tune of ~30pts. Now with Bell in the mix, we should see the passing game flourish. Not a big fan of the matchups as KC poses a stout secondary & good pass rush. Peters, Houston & Berry are at the top of the league. Hali is still very formidable as well. Ben will be pretty uncomfortable all night if the O-line doesn't show up this week. I'd like to see a steady dosage of quick passes to open up the game and take the energy out of their defensive front. I'm sure this entire unit is chompin at the bit to come out firing. Another injury worth noting, Wallace should be returning this week. Should Foster be unable to give it a go, Wallace will play MUCH better than Finney did last week. Fingers crossed that either Foster or Wallace will be ready this week.

Defense... Still so many question marks, especially with the injuries. Depth is a concern should any of those injuries ATL posted are inactive. I'm really hoping Mitchell & Golden play. If so this defense matches up fairly well to KC's offense. Look for Cockrell to shadow Maclin in some sort of capacity. Should Shazier not play it will be on the Safeties to cover Kelce all game long. That's a matchup nightmare. If Shaz & Golden don't play then Kelce will have a field day. KC is known for its dink & dunk offense, so that also poses a big problem as Philly already exposed this unit with roughly the same schemes. I don't think KC has the same amount of speed personnel, but Alex Smith is more than capable of extending plays. I'd really like to see better tackling this week, but that all depends on the personnel that Butler deploys.

TBH, I'm pretty scared for this game. National spotlight with a very porous defense... PIT's defense is primed to be exposed for what they are (dare I say), a really bad defense. Offense should be able to keep this game close, but I honestly don't know how I'm supposed to feel confident after that disaster last week. As ATL said, Tomlin is known for bouncing back. But I think this game is going to be a VERY close match. Something about the depth of the defense (which will also reflect on ST) & the schemes has got me thinking this defense wont be able to stop KC. The offense will have to play lights out if they want to win this. If this game was at Arrowhead I would take the Chiefs, hands down without a doubt. Thank sweet baby Jesus that it isn't.

PIT 34 - KC 28

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Davis likely to start at safety, still needs to practice though. Shamarko if not. Gilbert at safety seems odd. Probably meant in the slot.

Hope Butler's ears were on point.

Forgot Golden.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Davis likely to start at safety, still needs to practice though. Shamarko if not. Gilbert at safety seems odd. Probably meant in the slot.

Hope Butler's ears were on point.

Forgot Golden.

If what I've read is accurate, Mitchell also has a minor injury but they expect him to go...Davis will fill in for Golden if he can practice. If not, Shamarko will go in his place and Gilbert could be in there for Burns...Burns likely will play, but his lack of tackling has really caught the attention of Tomlin...I expect him to get pulled if he is struggling as badly as last week tackling.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Houston is still out hurt for KC which helps our offense some.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Houston is still out hurt for KC which helps our offense some.

Yep...I think he is on the PUP list, has a few more games to be eligible to return...they will add him I'm sure even if he won't be ready until week 10 or 12...they want him for the playoff should.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injury update.

Week 4 Injury Report (Chiefs) 

For a Sunday home game I think they might put in extend game planning practice to Fri, but maybe not. In either case, Dangerfield practiced with the 1st time some yesterday so that's a good sign that Davis (who has not practiced yet) will be a scratch.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injury update.

Week 4 Injury Report (Chiefs)

For a Sunday home game I think they might put in extend game planning practice to Fri, but maybe not. In either case, Dangerfield practiced with the 1st time some yesterday so that's a good sign that Davis (who has not practiced yet) will be a scratch.
Wow Dangerfield with the 1's? I was thinking this would be the final test for Shamarko. lol Guess that ship set sail seasons ago. That'll be cool to see Dangerfield in there in any capacity. That kid brings the hammer. I still remember that hit in the preseason 2-3 years ago when he clobbered that NYG FB near the goalline.

He gets no respect, no respect at all...

c7tld69p07aea7.jpg

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow Dangerfield with the 1's? I was thinking this would be the final test for Shamarko. lol Guess that ship set sail seasons ago. That'll be cool to see Dangerfield in there in any capacity. That kid brings the hammer. I still remember that hit in the preseason 2-3 years ago when he clobbered that NYG FB near the goalline.

He gets no respect, no respect at all...

c7tld69p07aea7.jpg

I still expect Thomas to be the 1st one called...I'm sure they wanted Dangerfield to at least have some reps in case he's needed, but we're going to find out because I don't expect Golden to play a week after a hamstring pull...depending on how bad, those things can linger all season. And if Davis can't practice today or Friday I don't expect he will go either.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still expect Thomas to be the 1st one called...I'm sure they wanted Dangerfield to at least have some reps in case he's needed, but we're going to find out because I don't expect Golden to play a week after a hamstring pull...depending on how bad, those things can linger all season. And if Davis can't practice today or Friday I don't expect he will go either.
Good point. You're probably right. Let's hope that whoever they do play can at least make open field tackles lol.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. You're probably right. Let's hope that whoever they do play can at least make open field tackles lol.

That tape is so crystal clear that Tomlin/Butler probably didn't have to say much about tackling...you are right...one thing Thomas has been decent with is tackling, but I think the ship has sailed on this team for him to be a long term contributor on DEF.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That tape is so crystal clear that Tomlin/Butler probably didn't have to say much about tackling...you are right...one thing Thomas has been decent with is tackling, but I think the ship has sailed on this team for him to be a long term contributor on DEF.
Unless Shamarko comes out as the starter this week and performs like the 2nd coming of Troy Polamalu... Yea there's no chance he sticks around much longer. I think his contract is up after this season?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offense... As ATL noted, this unit is still capable of doing damage to the tune of ~30pts. Now with Bell in the mix, we should see the passing game flourish. Not a big fan of the matchups as KC poses a stout secondary & good pass rush. Peters, Houston & Berry are at the top of the league. Hali is still very formidable as well. Ben will be pretty uncomfortable all night if the O-line doesn't show up this week. I'd like to see a steady dosage of quick passes to open up the game and take the energy out of their defensive front. I'm sure this entire unit is chompin at the bit to come out firing. Another injury worth noting, Wallace should be returning this week. Should Foster be unable to give it a go, Wallace will play MUCH better than Finney did last week. Fingers crossed that either Foster or Wallace will be ready this week.

Defense... Still so many question marks, especially with the injuries. Depth is a concern should any of those injuries ATL posted are inactive. I'm really hoping Mitchell & Golden play. If so this defense matches up fairly well to KC's offense. Look for Cockrell to shadow Maclin in some sort of capacity. Should Shazier not play it will be on the Safeties to cover Kelce all game long. That's a matchup nightmare. If Shaz & Golden don't play then Kelce will have a field day. KC is known for its dink & dunk offense, so that also poses a big problem as Philly already exposed this unit with roughly the same schemes. I don't think KC has the same amount of speed personnel, but Alex Smith is more than capable of extending plays. I'd really like to see better tackling this week, but that all depends on the personnel that Butler deploys.

TBH, I'm pretty scared for this game. National spotlight with a very porous defense... PIT's defense is primed to be exposed for what they are (dare I say), a really bad defense. Offense should be able to keep this game close, but I honestly don't know how I'm supposed to feel confident after that disaster last week. As ATL said, Tomlin is known for bouncing back. But I think this game is going to be a VERY close match. Something about the depth of the defense (which will also reflect on ST) & the schemes has got me thinking this defense wont be able to stop KC. The offense will have to play lights out if they want to win this. If this game was at Arrowhead I would take the Chiefs, hands down without a doubt. Thank sweet baby Jesus that it isn't.

PIT 34 - KC 28

Me as well.

Two things working for the Steelers...they typically respond well under Tomlin after a bad outing and they seem to thrive in national games.

I think you probably know now, but Houston is not ready to come off PUP yet...neither of the their starting CBs practiced yesterday, Jamal Charles was limited, but they might just let him take this week off as well because they have a bye next week.

On the Steelers front.

Mitchell and Timmons are going to go I think.

Foster, Davis, Golden, Wallace, Rogers and Finney did not practice yesterday. Justin Gilbert apparently has already been told he will have snaps in a pkg, and Dangerfield is actually looking like he will start ahead of Shamarko Thomas.

It's not clear what role Gilbert will play, but it's probably going to be dime if I have my bearings right...Cockrell and Gay outside and Burns moving outside and Gay to slot in nickel.

Green has supposedly been running and some are expecting him to be ready to practice when eligible to come off PUP...Golson is still not practicing but still seems like NOV is a target to be on the field.

Really short-handed on DEF this week, but idt Butler can afford to continue to protect the

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me as well.

Two things working for the Steelers...they typically respond well under Tomlin after a bad outing and they seem to thrive in national games.

I think you probably know now, but Houston is not ready to come off PUP yet...neither of the their starting CBs practiced yesterday, Jamal Charles was limited, but they might just let him take this week off as well because they have a bye next week.

On the Steelers front.

Mitchell and Timmons are going to go I think.

Foster, Davis, Golden, Wallace, Rogers and Finney did not practice yesterday. Justin Gilbert apparently has already been told he will have snaps in a pkg, and Dangerfield is actually looking like he will start ahead of Shamarko Thomas.

It's not clear what role Gilbert will play, but it's probably going to be dime if I have my bearings right...Cockrell and Gay outside and Burns moving outside and Gay to slot in nickel.

Green has supposedly been running and some are expecting him to be ready to practice when eligible to come off PUP...Golson is still not practicing but still seems like NOV is a target to be on the field.

Really short-handed on DEF this week, but idt Butler can afford to continue to protect the
Any word on Shazier?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Final injury report.

Out...Shazier, Foster, Golden, Wallace, Nix, Rogers, Golson

Davis apparently was a FP participant on friday...will go as well as Timmons and Finney.

Richardson was released for Bell's spot...I expect Bell to get 20+ touches, but DWill should get 5-10 touches.