• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wilfork Asks For Release

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This might be the biggest blow of the offseason for any contending team if the Pats lose him.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This might be the biggest blow of the offseason for any contending team if the Pats lose him.

Unless medically they know something. Teams asks players to restructure all the time it's not knew, Vince just did not want to do that.

Anyone know how this would affect the cap, his asking for a release?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will be about $3.6 million in dead money but open up about $8 million in Cap Space for this season.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will be about $3.6 million in dead money but open up about $8 million in Cap Space for this season.

So the team would free up 8 mil and still owe him 3.6 mil even though he asked for the release?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the team would free up 8 mil and still owe him 3.6 mil even though he asked for the release?

Well the team doesn't have to grant it to him. They could just keep him and pay the full $11.6 million Cap Hit if they want. Just like he doesn't have to take a pay cut just because they ask they don't have to release him either. Part of NFL contracts though is that there is a penalty for cutting a player loose before the fullness of the deal is done. Have to remember he has already been paid that money. That is why it is dead money.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No. It means they already paid him the 3.6 mil and have not counted it against the cap yet....

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the team doesn't have to grant it to him. They could just keep him and pay the full $11.6 million Cap Hit if they want. Just like he doesn't have to take a pay cut just because they ask they don't have to release him either. Part of NFL contracts though is that there is a penalty for cutting a player loose before the fullness of the deal is done. Have to remember he has already been paid that money. That is why it is dead money.

I guess the bolded is my question. If he asked for the release would they technically be cutting him or would they be granting his release as requested and is there a difference?

No. It means they already paid him the 3.6 mil and have not counted it against the cap yet....

Thank You

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the bolded is my question. If he asked for the release would they technically be cutting him or would they be granting his release as requested and is there a difference?

Thank You

When it comes to NFL contracts they do not recognize the difference. Because it is money that most likely was paid in a signing bonus it means he already got the money but the Patriots promised to count it against the Cap at a later date. Again just because he requests a release doesn't mean they have to grant it. Kind of works for and against teams and players in that sense. A contract makes it a binding agreement between the two parties. Wilfork can't just walk away from the team but at the same time the team can't just all of a sudden step in and say "hey we are cutting your pay and you are just going to have to live with it."

patsfan187

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rather trade him for a 1st or 2nd round pick

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it comes to NFL contracts they do not recognize the difference. Because it is money that most likely was paid in a signing bonus it means he already got the money but the Patriots promised to count it against the Cap at a later date. Again just because he requests a release doesn't mean they have to grant it. Kind of works for and against teams and players in that sense. A contract makes it a binding agreement between the two parties. Wilfork can't just walk away from the team but at the same time the team can't just all of a sudden step in and say "hey we are cutting your pay and you are just going to have to live with it."

But he can sit out until week 9 or something with no penalty, players do that all the time.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he can sit out until week 9 or something with no penalty, players do that all the time.

I think if players do that they can be sued by the team to get back some of the money. Not sure how that all works at least concerning the Salary Cap. Plus I doubt he would sit out because if they didn't cut him he could show up to work and collect his $11.6 million with a big smile on his face. No reason for him to sit out. Really in this situation Wilfork has all the power. He knows there is a decent Cap Hit if they cut him and if they don't he makes bank. Either way Wilfork is going to get paid.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if players do that they can be sued by the team to get back some of the money. Not sure how that all works at least concerning the Salary Cap. Plus I doubt he would sit out because if they didn't cut him he could show up to work and collect his $11.6 million with a big smile on his face. No reason for him to sit out. Really in this situation Wilfork has all the power. He knows there is a decent Cap Hit if they cut him and if they don't he makes bank. Either way Wilfork is going to get paid.

Yep so really there is no incentive for the Pats to cut him, for what 8 mil in cap space?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep so really there is no incentive for the Pats to cut him, for what 8 mil in cap space?

There is plenty of incentive in that $8 million is a high quality starter or two good role players on the open market these days. Plus who knows what kind of player Wilfork is going to be with the injury he suffered. Heck I know at one point he didn't even know if he would come back. So I don't blame them if they do cut him as it makes sense. Every year your team is going to have some dead money. Just nature of the business. Now I will say Patriots are already on the high end for dead money this year (only 7 teams have more) but a huge chunk of that is the Hernandez fiasco so can't really blame them there. If it were me I would cut him then look at the market to see what I could sign. One guy I would sign in a heart beat is Henry Melton. Doesn't really replace Wilfork as they play 2 different positions (yes I know they play DT but they play very different roles at that position) but the guy if healthy is a top 10 DT in this league.

Bjcanney

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is plenty of incentive in that $8 million is a high quality starter or two good role players on the open market these days. Plus who knows what kind of player Wilfork is going to be with the injury he suffered. Heck I know at one point he didn't even know if he would come back. So I don't blame them if they do cut him as it makes sense. Every year your team is going to have some dead money. Just nature of the business. Now I will say Patriots are already on the high end for dead money this year (only 7 teams have more) but a huge chunk of that is the Hernandez fiasco so can't really blame them there. If it were me I would cut him then look at the market to see what I could sign. One guy I would sign in a heart beat is Henry Melton. Doesn't really replace Wilfork as they play 2 different positions (yes I know they play DT but they play very different roles at that position) but the guy if healthy is a top 10 DT in this league.

I'm a huge Wilfork fan and would hate to see him go, but the Patriots are in their nickel defense most of the time during the year and Wilfork is off the field. So Wilfork is being paid $8M as a situational player. That is way to much. And we all think his loss was the sole reason the run defense suffered and while he was a part of it, the guy lost in all of this Jarod Mayo(remember our tackling machine) was also out. I think releasing Wilfork and freeing up the cap room to to bring in quality run support LB (Woodyard) and another safety. I think Chris Jones, Saliviga(sp?) being back Sopoaga cheaper and maybe a rookie would be a good group with Kelley. They do need to find a pash rushing DE to spell Jones and Nink, maybe the draft or a FA. But $8M can get several quality situational guys that aren't coming back from injury and add depth. What if Wilfork reinjures his Achilles and then the Pats are SOL and using the same guys they did last year.

I'm not going to lie.....I'd love to see the havoc that a healthy Wilfork and Kelly could cause in the middle when teams have to pay attention to Jones.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we knew he'd be healthy I'd want him back. But that injury is not a minor one and that's too much to risk.

If he's gone I want a DT in free agency. Raji would be nice.