• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Whys no one wanna come work for our FO?

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it's just the uncertainty of Chip v.s Howie, and how much authority one can have.

I wish they would just promote Marynowitz, a rising star.

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no job or power. What are they going to do? Chip has total football control and Howie has contracts and whatever. What exactly is left?

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty simple, like WIZ said: between Howie and Chip, people wonder what the hell authority they would have. It will wind up being someone like Polian's kid because the top tier people want nothing to do with this mess.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still maintain that Gamble was the ideal guy for the job. Too bad that played out the way it did.

I'm not worried (yet), it's not like they don't already have scouts and evaluators in place already doing work to see what players they like or will fit into the schemes here.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically what they are calling a GM job is in reality a lead scouting/research type job. So the only people likely interested are going to be scouts or people on bad teams.

I suspect many candidates are leery of Howie and unsure what his role will really be. And they are probably also worried that Chip will bolt back to college in another year if things go south.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a somewhat related story, the Eagles are blocking their WR coach, Bicknell, from interviewing with the Niners for their vacant offensive coordinator position.

That's a bush move in my opinion. One thing I respected about Reid is that he never stood in the way of assistants who had a chance to move on to bigger things. I wonder if Chip is worried he is going to lose his staff and be unable to replace them or something.

However, this report suggests Chip blocked the request at Bicknell's urging--Bicknell didn't want anything to do with the Niners' mess.

Report: Philadelphia Eagles block Niners from Bob Bicknell - ESPN

CSB

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a somewhat related story, the Eagles are blocking their WR coach, Bicknell, from interviewing with the Niners for their vacant offensive coordinator position.

That's a bush move in my opinion. One thing I respected about Reid is that he never stood in the way of assistants who had a chance to move on to bigger things. I wonder if Chip is worried he is going to lose his staff and be unable to replace them or something.

However, this report suggests Chip blocked the request at Bicknell's urging--Bicknell didn't want anything to do with the Niners' mess.

Report: Philadelphia Eagles block Niners from Bob Bicknell - ESPN

Why would the team have to block it in that case? Can't Bicknell just say "no thanks".

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think teams formally go through other teams when requesting to talk to assistants, and that's probably what the Niners did.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eagles 24/7 is reporting Bicknell did wind up talking to the Niners, and turned them down.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe all that went down was done so without forethought and unfortunately for the Eagles shows a dirty mess in the FO. Lurie made a huge mistake by not having control of his own team and blinked when confronted with this mess. Perhaps some of this mess goes back to the Joe Banner firing.
I fear this will end badly.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howie will stay until he gets another offer, which would most likely be a lousy organization, and they would want him to add structure. He won't stay here for long, but he's also not stupid to quit a $1.7M/year job, no matter how much he was demoted. I also think that Chip will stay here for a long time, as he wants to win at least 1 SB. So, Howie wants to get out of town ASAP.

skinzfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who wants to go to work for the same guys that chose to select Marcus Smith in the 1st round with Kelvin Benjamin, Jimmy Ward, and Bradley Roby available?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who wants to go to work for the same guys that chose to select Marcus Smith in the 1st round with Kelvin Benjamin, Jimmy Ward, and Bradley Roby available?

Marcus Smith is going to sack your mother.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I must admit I'm relieved that they have someone in place now and they can focus on getting the right guys here.

IMO I'm glad they decided to stay in house, at least you know that Chip and Ed are on the same wavelength and looking for the same thing. Of all the guys they were reported to be interviewing, I kept thinking that Maryonwitz was still the best guy. Maybe it means we can get some more 'Bama guys in here too!

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day, they simply have one less personnel guy, and are recognizing and giving more authority to the younger guys that are actually doing the work.

I am still a little nervous with the lack of activity we have seen on the contracts end. There are a number of key decisions and actions that need to be made and at least publicly there is nothing going on. I don't see a lot of action out of other teams either though.

To do list.
1. Re-sign Jeremy Maclin.
2. Re-sign Brandon Graham. This seems to be an either or with Cole. The better option would seem to be to keep the younger guy, but I don't see both Graham and Cole being there.
3. Figure out where your going at RCB. Need to be able to hit the ground running on a Free Agent there in March.
4. Ditto at Safety. The obvious options for both these positions are FA, but Roseman has done a good job in the past at doing some interesting trades. Reference Peters and Ryans. These could be done earlier.
5. Gage the trade market for McCoy. A Pro Bowl back who is 26 could be good trade bait.
6. Assess if your going to get another year out of Ryans and Herremans. I think most likely case is you keep them for a year and draft their replacements. But its so dependent on their health.
7. Assess whether Barkley is a wasted pick or your number 2 QB this year.

Many of these actions require an active personnel guy or GM that is working the phones with the agents and his counterparts around the league. If Roseman is really stepping aside, I am not real confident in these young guys to do that sort of networking. If the next Peters or Ryans is available in a trade, will these guys even know?