• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who would be a good fit for Fields?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the Hell do you know that? At the same point in his career he is playing as well as any of them. If he looked like Mahomes or Allen you would be jizzing yourself talking about how great he is

I see your first thought is of me jizzing, which I guess I take as a compliment?

Not sure how saying he is perfect for his team is being taken as a negative, but rock on.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shanahan wants a game manager and has one on the (extreme) cheap in Purdy for at least 2 more years.

Daboll's "genius" is certainly being questioned after this awful season and they're stuck with Jones for at least one more season.
Not that Purdy is the 2nd coming, but game managers don't end a season with 30+TDs and 4k yards passing. And that is what Purdy is on pace to exceed. At this pace, he'll make the pro bowl. He's nothing close to a game manager.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that Purdy is the 2nd coming, but game managers don't end a season with 30+TDs and 4k yards passing. And that is what Purdy is on pace to exceed. At this pace, he'll make the pro bowl. He's nothing close to a game manager.
Is Kirk Cousin a game manager? I've heard him described as one and he has those stats.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hes being unfairly judged because he has great weapons around him. Personally, I don’t think that’s fair. At the same time, he won’t be able to beat that rap until he’s a big hit on the cap and he has to bring around the next generation of 49ers weapons out of necessity because they can’t resign guys due for a big payday.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, I would say that Brock Purdy is a top 5-8 QB in this league right now. He is way more than a game manager and he is getting better and better.

Second, I would like to point out that he is 9-0 this year with Deebo and Trent Williams. He is 0-3 without them and have about a 15 point differential in scoring on offense.

Purdy is more than a game manager, but make no mistake, as good as he is, his surrounding cast is elite on offense and defense. When you have McCaffrey, Deebo, Aiyuk and Kittle to get the ball to, and maybe the best LT in all of football blocking your blind side, well, you should have a little time to get the ball to these play makers. Then you have one of the most stingy defenses that pressures the QB, he doesn't have to be perfect.

So to sum it up, Purdy is a really damn good QB and more than a game manager. The 49ers overall, are a really damn good team from top to bottom. From ownership, to management, to coaching, to players. ELITE

Philly and KC are right there with them, but some holes are starting to be exposed on them. In KC's case it is talent surrounding Mahomes, in Philly's case is more defensive issues and the league learning a little more about Hurts. Still can't stop the ass rammer play, but that just tells opposing teams, don't let them get to third or fourth and short.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fields walks as a free agent after next season, if not pushes for a move sooner if Chicago tries to Taysom him.

Hill averages $10M, nowhere near enough to retain Fields.

I think Bears will trade him this offseason........so for me,the point of him being a TH is moot.......although I believe he would be awesome at it.

Bears retain JF for 2024,its to be a starter......

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philly and KC are right there with them, but some holes are starting to be exposed on them.

Philly didn't look right there with them last night (and KC lost to the almighty Packers). Niners crushed them just like they did Dallas. If healthy, Niners are the top of the heap.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say build a team around him. Go draft Marvin Harrison Jr., get some FA help and build that defense into a Baltimore type force. If you build that defense so the offense doesn't have to put up 30 points a game, and you surround him with talent, I bet he could be a good, serviceable QB that could win you a championship. Granted, he is not going to be a Mahomes that can carry an entire offense on his back, but if you build around him, he could be a good QB.

I would more than love to see MHJ in a Bears uni,and use the 2nd no.1 on Nix,or Possibly Daniels,then the Bears could use Fields in a TH role.....
But some say Chicago could get a 2nd for Fields,I tend to think a 3rd myself.......

Say the Bears do get a 2nd,still draft MHJ and Nix then use that 2nd on an olineman.......Bears would be golden.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Harrison is poor usage of assets for the Bears. They already have DJ Moore, so getting Harrison either makes him the #2 or makes Moore the #2. To date this season, the #2 WR has fewer than 4 targets per game in the Bears' offense. Unless they are going to overhaul their system to pass more (and does Fields fit such a system?), Harrison isn't a great fit (same with Brock Bowers). The Bears also have improving OTs already (Braxton Jones and Darnell Wright), so unless they're going to move them inside (or draft an early LT to move him inside) or make some trades, that's not a great fit either. Jones made the all rookie team last year, and Wright was the #10 pick this year.

IMO, the best usage of their 2 high 1st rounders looks like QB at #1 then defense IMO, unless they want to trade down (at least with the #1).
I don't think he is a poor use of assets. He will be a top 5 NFL WR in the next few years, and having someone like that to help take pressure off your QB is a huge benefit. Just ask Burrow with Chase. Or Cousins with Jefferson. Maybe Tua with Hill. If you want a QB to succeed, regardless of whether they are a Justin Fields or Aaron Rodgers, you give them weapons to help elevate pressure. Guys that can get open quick, not need 4 to 5 seconds to try and peel off defenders. Guys that can win matchups even with double coverage to give the defense something to worry about and draw resources.

Maybe Fields is not the answer, but your next QB will be in the same boat as Fields if you don't help them out.

Having Moore is just an added benefit, but Moore is not as good as Harrison is, so he would for sure be a serviceable #2.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he is a poor use of assets. He will be a top 5 NFL WR in the next few years, and having someone like that to help take pressure off your QB is a huge benefit. Just ask Burrow with Chase. Or Cousins with Jefferson. Maybe Tua with Hill. If you want a QB to succeed, regardless of whether they are a Justin Fields or Aaron Rodgers, you give them weapons to help elevate pressure. Guys that can get open quick, not need 4 to 5 seconds to try and peel off defenders. Guys that can win matchups even with double coverage to give the defense something to worry about and draw resources.

Maybe Fields is not the answer, but your next QB will be in the same boat as Fields if you don't help them out.

Having Moore is just an added benefit, but Moore is not as good as Harrison is, so he would for sure be a serviceable #2.

You don't need the #1 overall WR to play 2nd fiddle (or to force DJ to 2nd fiddle). You can get that player to fit with DJ later.

If you draft MH2, you need to trade DJ IMO.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't need the #1 overall WR to play 2nd fiddle (or to force DJ to 2nd fiddle). You can get that player to fit with DJ later.

If you draft MH2, you need to trade DJ IMO.
You have seen how the Rams are doing with Kupp and Puka right? Burrow with Chase and Higgins? Miami with Hill and Waddle? Why do you think you only need 1 good WR? Maybe give Fields more than 1 option who is double covered most of the time?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WR = EDGE = OT

You can certainly field two elite guys in those spots. You eventually might not be able to pay for both but you might end up getting draft picks if you can't so its still worth doing it.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have seen how the Rams are doing with Kupp and Puka right? Burrow with Chase and Higgins? Miami with Hill and Waddle? Why do you think you only need 1 good WR? Maybe give Fields more than 1 option who is double covered most of the time?

Is Harrison the only good WR in the draft? Was Puka drafted #1 overall? Bengals will likely lose Higgins this year as they won't want to (or be able to afford to) pay #1 money for a #2 receiver. The Dolphins offense is a far cry from the Bears offense, not a great comp.

Bears could trade down and get more picks, or use their 3rd or one of their two 4ths.

It's wasteful in terms of draft capital to make either MH2 or DJ a 2nd option getting less than 4 targets per game.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WR = EDGE = OT

You can certainly field two elite guys in those spots. You eventually might not be able to pay for both but you might end up getting draft picks if you can't so its still worth doing it.

Is OT a need? They just filled 1 Edge spot with Sweat, but definitely need more. That would be my preferred target (along with their choice of Caleb/Maye).

Harrison is worth the #1 pick, no doubt. Is the Bears offense able to support 2 #1 WRs in addition to Fields' connection with his TE? I don't see it. If the Bears are sticking with Fields, I think they should trade down and get an additional pick or two and take a different WR outside the top 20.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have seen how the Rams are doing with Kupp and Puka right?

Even McVay is not scheming enough targets for both and the Rams are running the ball more often (and effectively). Puka was a 5th round pick.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Harrison the only good WR in the draft? Was Puka drafted #1 overall? Bengals will likely lose Higgins this year as they won't want to (or be able to afford to) pay #1 money for a #2 receiver. The Dolphins offense is a far cry from the Bears offense, not a great comp.

Bears could trade down and get more picks, or use their 3rd or one of their two 4ths.

It's wasteful in terms of draft capital to make either MH2 or DJ a 2nd option getting less than 4 targets per game.
I mean hell, look at Philly. They have two damn good WR's and they are a running offense. They surrounded Hurts with talent. If you do not surround your QB with talent, he is not going to succeed no matter who he is. Just ask Mahomes when the only reliable target he has is Kelce. Mahomes is otherworldly, and even he struggles with one weapon. Now, Mahomes does elevate KC even though his weapons are mediocre at best outside Kelce, but he is the best QB in the NFL. You give any other QB what Mahomes has on offense, I don't think there is another QB that wins or produces what Mahomes does.

You put Mahomes on SF, you are probably looking at SF winning games 50 to 10 on average during the year and being undefeated. I mean, Purdy is damn near doing that himself, because he is damn good. I am not saying Chicago shouldn't go after their QB if they truely feel Fields is never going ot be a starting QB in this league.

However, trading down a couple spots, picking up more assets and surrounding Fields with talent on offense? I don't know man, that is a damn tough call.