• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

who even cares if

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengs limp into playoffs and get their butts kicked?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting there is better than not, I suppose.

You get in, anything can happen. It won't...but it's better than sitting at home and watching another craptastic Pitt team get railed as well.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's good for the Head Coach and star players to get accustomed to the intensity of playoff football imo. Worst case scenario even losing in the first rd would have that benefit.

Also I'm sort of a broken record on this but I don't see a dominant team in the AFC this year. The Chiefs are the favorite but both their defense and all world QB have slumped for long stretches of the season. The Pat's have a QB playing good football but he's also a rookie with limitations. The Bills are soft against physical run teams and can't run the ball on offense. The Ravens are decimated by injuries. There isn't a team in the conference I think the Bengals are incapable of beating on the right day.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you just know Bengs will bungle

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you just know Bengs will bungle
It will be 1st and goal with the game on the line, down 4, Burrow in the midst of a historic run completing his last 30 passes - and ZT will call 4 straight run plays for no gain as the Bengals lose.

Afterwards, he'll take full responsibility and point the finger at himself, and explain that he's still learning and growing in his role - and that he'll learn from this.....

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's good for the Head Coach and star players to get accustomed to the intensity of playoff football imo. Worst case scenario even losing in the first rd would have that benefit.

Also I'm sort of a broken record on this but I don't see a dominant team in the AFC this year. The Chiefs are the favorite but both their defense and all world QB have slumped for long stretches of the season. The Pat's have a QB playing good football but he's also a rookie with limitations. The Bills are soft against physical run teams and can't run the ball on offense. The Ravens are decimated by injuries. There isn't a team in the conference I think the Bengals are incapable of beating on the right day.
Chargers weren't dominant, but their receivers basically had their way with our defenders.
they outclassed us, and they aren't even the best team in the AFC

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Chargers weren't dominant, but their receivers basically had their way with our defenders.
they outclassed us, and they aren't even the best team in the AFC

The Chargers also got blown out by the Ravens in Baltimore a week before we blew the Ravens out in the same stadium.

I would say the Chargers and Bengals are similar teams.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
none of our stud options panned out. I love Boyde tho the other guy

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our defense still worries me especially without Logan Wilson and now Bachie who was playing well is probably out for the year.

However, Burrow is a different type of animal than we have had in Cincinnati. He is that kind of guy that wills others around him to step up and if not he will do it himself. I think when the playoffs arrive, he kicks it up another gear even. Not saying that will equate to a win, but given the parity of the league and our explosiveness, I would like that chance to at least get our first playoff victory in 30 years.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a QB. that's good
if I was 20 I'd be stoked

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was watching the game yesterday thinking if burrow was playing for Denver right now this would not be a contest. Denver had 2 crappy qbs and we almost made them look competent.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any way it looks like we might still get in even if we lose to kc. No guarantees if we lose though. I am still frustrated with zac Taylor.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall - a pretty good game. Denver muddies things up and really relies on that run, run, run model and then defend, defend, defend. Bengals did a pretty damned good job bottling up their RB's all things considered. Get Wilson and Awuzie back, and Waynes healthy with some games (man he looked rusty) under his belt, and the Bengals could be looking solid for the final stretch.

Offensively - all things considered, not bad. Denver had a lot of success rushing just 4 and getting pressure, but with the 3rd option at RT, and the 3rd option at RG - I guess you can't be too upset. Denver rushed just 4, dropped the LB's into the medium zone area, and then played man on the outside...basically, no middle ground for quick throws, and the OL wasn't giving enough time for longer throws...great plan by Denver - not many defenses can replicate it - but the OL has to get better/healthy.

I thought, in this game, ironically, Mixon should have likely had a few more opportunities. He was very, very close several times to breaking long runs. This is my critic of Taylor, because I think he gets tunnel vision or gets too smart and out-thinks himself. But, all things considered - coached well enough against a very good defense, on the road, in a place where many teams struggle - to a win.

I find it very, very odd that this team has 5 wins on the road, and just 3 at home.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can lose to KC if we win the other 2
pit has a tough 3 ....Balt and Clev really banged up. there will never be a better chance

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can lose to KC if we win the other 2
pit has a tough 3 ....Balt and Clev really banged up. there will never be a better chance
Beat Balt - and hope KC keeps winning - they're bound to slip up at least once more - why not against the Bengals...it's happened before.

KC beats Pitt this week, Bengals win next 2 - and the game in Cleve doesn't matter - Bengals likely locked into their top 4 seed spot.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To answer the original question, I think it matters. Are the Bengals winning the Super Bowl this year? No. Can they win a playoff game? Depends who they play. But I think getting to the playoffs a year early, especially with the unknown after Burrow's injury and a still suspect offensive line is a big deal.

I also think this team making the playoffs this season could be an eye opener to both the Bengals' upcoming free agents as well as league wide free agents, that this is a team on the rise, and maybe on the verge of becoming a contender. By all accounts, they have a good locker room, and maybe there are some guys who will want to stick around finish what they started, and outside guys wanting to get on board. Think of a guy like Mike Hilton from last offseason as a perfect example. Obviously money talks, but there is something to be said for being part of the solution.

With the cap increase and lots of cap room, and a few more seasons of Burrow, and to a lesser extent Jonah Williams (LT's make big money too), being on a rookie contract, things are shaping up for this team to make a run to the next tier of teams....if, and that's a big if, ownership goes all in.

Its gonna be on the Brown family, they have to get outside of their comfort zone, and get aggressive and creative in the offseason. If they blow this chance by being cheap and not spending on the right pieces, then they will never get it right.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To answer the original question, I think it matters. Are the Bengals winning the Super Bowl this year? No. Can they win a playoff game? Depends who they play. But I think getting to the playoffs a year early, especially with the unknown after Burrow's injury and a still suspect offensive line is a big deal.

I also think this team making the playoffs this season could be an eye opener to both the Bengals' upcoming free agents as well as league wide free agents, that this is a team on the rise, and maybe on the verge of becoming a contender. By all accounts, they have a good locker room, and maybe there are some guys who will want to stick around finish what they started, and outside guys wanting to get on board. Think of a guy like Mike Hilton from last offseason as a perfect example. Obviously money talks, but there is something to be said for being part of the solution.

With the cap increase and lots of cap room, and a few more seasons of Burrow, and to a lesser extent Jonah Williams (LT's make big money too), being on a rookie contract, things are shaping up for this team to make a run to the next tier of teams....if, and that's a big if, ownership goes all in.

Its gonna be on the Brown family, they have to get outside of their comfort zone, and get aggressive and creative in the offseason. If they blow this chance by being cheap and not spending on the right pieces, then they will never get it right.
They have a TON of pieces on both offense and defense. Offensively, everyone returns next year other than I think Spain and Reiff as far as starters...I think they cut Tate, unfortunately, he just can't stay healthy (contract could be up, not sure).

Bottom line - there's ZERO reason not to go out there and find no less than 2 starting OL - a C and RG would be the target with potentially re-signing Reiff - or figuring out this year if any of the guys they've drafted are good enough to take over. If they are set at RG with Adeniji - then find a RT long-term solution.

They can also lock up Williams early - and defensively, I could see them cutting Waynes, or restructuring, but will still need DB depth. However, the core of the defense: Reader, Hubbard, Hendrickson, Wilson, Auzuie Bell are all locked up. Bates would be nice - but I'm not paying top 5 money after this year...he's been solid, but not top 5. If needed, you could tag him and live with that for 1 year while drafting/signing a replacement.

Ironically - the Bengals are well set up over the next 2-3 years if they play this off-season correct. It's a shame they didn't truly address the OL this past off season, or the year before, because IMO - that is the difference in this offense and consistency (or lack thereof) - which could have taken them from playoff contender to Championship contender.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bengas are playing meaningful football on Christmas weekend. This is a big win for a rebuilding franchise. I agree with Cincyfan - The roster is set up for the next 2-3 years. And the AFC is open.... There are some other clubs with good situations - The Chargers being one of them. The Chiefs will always be a threat with Mahomes. The Patriots are solid across the board. The Ravens are always good. But the Bengals have a unique blend of talent and potential. And they have a leader in Burrow unlike many guys in the league. That guy is as tough as they come.

A lot to be excited about..... I'll try to keep telling myself this even if we lay another home-game egg this weekend. LOL.