• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which players would you NOT want to see traded, and why?

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only ones I know for sure I would be okay with are Saunders and Perez. With Z making the deal, it would still be scary, but I think it would be okay.

I really would rather not see Ibanez, Iwakuma, or Morales go, though I understand why others would be okay with it.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Trade:

Seager. He is the kind of guy we are trying to acquire.
Walker. He looks legit and I usually don't put a lot of hope in 'prospects', but he the exception for me.
Miller. He is the energy guy that can be our Pedroia in terms of fire in the way he plays. Above average bat.
Franklin. Not sure if he is as good as his start, but he has changed my mind about him.

Outside of those 4, I would deal anyone in the right deal.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ibanez comes and goes with his bat in spurts. When he's hot he's red hot and when he's not he sucks. Good luck with him, hopefully he'll get hot toward the end of the year.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ibanez comes and goes with his bat in spurts. When he's hot he's red hot and when he's not he sucks. Good luck with him, hopefully he'll get hot toward the end of the year.

He doesn't have the greatest batting average ever, but he's provided plenty of power and he's basically this team's Yoda. He's that wise veteran presence that every young team needs to have in the clubhouse to answer questions, have scenarios bounced off of them and basically be a player/coach. It helps that he leads the team in homeruns and has been pretty clutch ever since he started seeing regular playing time. His homerun binge isn't going to last forever, but it doesn't have to. He was expected to be the 4th or 5th outfielder on this team going into the season and be that veteran presence. Everything he's done to this point on the field has been a bonus.

dumbrabbit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seager, Morales, or Ibanez, or any of our prospects. So basically I don't want anyone traded. These players we have right now will lead this team in future years and I see tons of potential in this Mariners team.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I highly doubt Seager is on the table at all.

And I highly hope so, too.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iwakuma.

We gave up a lot of pitching this past offseason to get some bat action. We don't need to give up our #2 right now.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't have the greatest batting average ever, but he's provided plenty of power and he's basically this team's Yoda. He's that wise veteran presence that every young team needs to have in the clubhouse to answer questions, have scenarios bounced off of them and basically be a player/coach. It helps that he leads the team in homeruns and has been pretty clutch ever since he started seeing regular playing time. His homerun binge isn't going to last forever, but it doesn't have to. He was expected to be the 4th or 5th outfielder on this team going into the season and be that veteran presence. Everything he's done to this point on the field has been a bonus.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I would be happy with him if he were a Brave.

Hopefully Smoak will start hitting regularly for you guys. He has a lot of potential.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iwakuma.

We gave up a lot of pitching this past offseason to get some bat action. We don't need to give up our #2 right now.

Kuma is my best bet to get traded and, imo, has the most trade value beside maybe Willhelmsen. I'm for keeping Raul and have him mentor the younger kids for the rest of the year, I don't think you will get enough in return anyway.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God I hope not. What exactly are you thinking as a trade scenario with him?

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kuma is my best bet to get traded and, imo, has the most trade value beside maybe Willhelmsen. I'm for keeping Raul and have him mentor the younger kids for the rest of the year, I don't think you will get enough in return anyway.

I just don't see the long term benefit in trading Kuma unless the organization is expecting him to pitch poorly in the future and they want to strike while his value is high. Risky.

I think the guys I wouldn't have a problem getting traded are Joe Saunders, Perez and maybe Morales depends what the return is. The thing with Morales is I think it is possible for the M's to bring him back next season if we don't trade him.

I wouldn't mind this trade deadline being somewhat mellow. If trades are made I expect them to be minor trades.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the 2nd Wild Card alot more teams think they are in it so that makes less teams in the seller role meaning less players available.

I dont think Raul or Kuma are on the table. I think Perez and Saunders are likely dealt and possibly Ryan to a lesser extent.

Morales is the interesting one. The lack of available talent on the trade market could mean a team could really overpay for him. Although I think his presence in the lineup is really benefiting the team right now if we could get a good package from a desperate team like the Rays or Pirates we should look into it.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the 2nd Wild Card alot more teams think they are in it so that makes less teams in the seller role meaning less players available.

I dont think Raul or Kuma are on the table. I think Perez and Saunders are likely dealt and possibly Ryan to a lesser extent.

Morales is the interesting one. The lack of available talent on the trade market could mean a team could really overpay for him. Although I think his presence in the lineup is really benefiting the team right now if we could get a good package from a desperate team like the Rays or Pirates we should look into it.

Raul has asked not to be traded, and with his role as the "heart and soul" (according to Joe Saunders) of the team and the guy that the young players can bounce things off of and learn things from, the M's are likely to listen to his request and hold onto him. The return they'd get on him wouldn't be worth losing what they get with him on the roster, and that's before you talk about his stats.

Trading Kuma probably wouldn't net as much as people think it would given his age and the fact that his last five starts or so have been un-Kuma-like. Besides, he's signed through next season, so if the M's were going to trade him, they'd most likely do it next July, not this July.

Morales is a guy that I'm sure they'd like to keep as another veteran presence in the clubhouse and a guy that can actually hit at Safeco Field. Plus, if they're trying to convince him that he should want to sign here long-term, trading him somewhere else probably wouldn't be the best way to do it. I realize that players have been traded from one place to another before becoming a free agent and then gone back to the place that they were traded from once they become a free agent because they liked playing there, but with Scott Boras in the mix, you can't really take any chances if you really want Morales back next year and beyond.

Perez and Saunders (and, to a lesser extent, possibly Ryan and Chavez) are probably the only guys on the 25 man roster that have a good chance of being traded and you're not going to see a great return on those guys.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raul has asked not to be traded, and with his role as the "heart and soul" (according to Joe Saunders) of the team and the guy that the young players can bounce things off of and learn things from, the M's are likely to listen to his request and hold onto him. The return they'd get on him wouldn't be worth losing what they get with him on the roster, and that's before you talk about his stats.
QUOTE]

I agree that Raul has more value to the team than anything we would get in a trade. Although, Z better be listening....

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This only goes as far as the current major league roster:

Untouchable:
Kyle Seager: Could be the best all around non-pitcher on the roster.
Brad Miller: Obvious
Nick Franklin: Obvious
Felix Hernandez: I don't think any reasonable deal would fetch enough to be worth trading him. The balance of the Mariners roster has shifted away from pitching currently.
Mike Morse: This will likely come as a surprise that I put him here but let me explain. I feel like right now his value is at an all-time low and we would receive nothing but trash for him, I could easily see us shipping him off for some mid level prospect and then hitting 30+ home runs. If he was not hurt or hitting below .250 I would probably put him down to would prefer not to trade.
Mike Zunino: Hitting has not developed yet but he is supposed to be the catcher of the future. Looks good behind the plate though.

Would prefer not to trade:
Kendrys Morales: One of the few legit hitters the Mariners have had in a long time.
Justin Smoak: I feel like he has turned a corner.
Hisashi Iwakuma: Is under team control for a while at a decent price and is a legit #2 starting pitcher.
Raul Ibanez: I don't think any offer the Mariners would receive would be equal to his value to the Mariners. He is a leader in the clubhouse and being 41 years old, the Mariners are unlikely to receive much in return for him.

Pretty much everything the Mariners have of value outside the bullpen I would not move. At the risk of sounding redundant I believe if the Mariners make the right moves they could have a decent team next year. Although my confidence in the Mariners ownership makes me believe that those moves are unlikely to happen.