• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where the Lakers go from here!!

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully some of the great Laker fans on here will visit this board and we can get a logical (hopefully troll free) discussion!!

This should be a very interesting summer in Lakerland and there are a few things that need to be addressed:

1.) Dwight - Is he in or out? Will it be his choice? Dwight said that he is going to step away from everything for a couple of weeks and clear his head. This may be the smartest thing he has said all season long. He needs to get away, clear his head and either come back 100% committed to leading this team in the future or tell the Lakers that L.A. isn't for him and get the hell out. Either way, he needs to do this sooner rather than later so that the Lakers can start doing what they need to do.

2.) Who's running the franchise? - Esteemed Laker fan and poster Big Red Slugs, stated on another thread that Simmons and Wilbon said that Jeannie will be taking over this summer and that Magic knows something that he can't say. If this is true, it is great news for the Lakers and their fans. Jeannie is much more like her father than Short Buss is and will run the Lakers like Dr. Buss did. Plus, I'd say it virtually assures Phil takes either the coaching job or a job in the front office where he has input into personnel decisions.

3.) What about Pau? - Pau is the Lakers most tradeable commodity. He is also someone that Kobe has said he wants on the team. Even at his age, Pau is arguably the most skilled big in the league. Do the Lakers trade him or keep him and let his contract expire at the end of the season? What if the on again/off again Pau for K. Love trade rumors are on again and get serious? I say, if that happens, you make the trade. Everything else is case by case. I hate that Pau is the only tradeable commodity. He deserves to play out his final season without having to worry about constant trade rumors.

4.) Amnesty MWP? - Again, don't like talking about this because outside of Kobe, no one leaves it all out on the floor like MWP. The problem is that he is no longer the lockdown defender that he used to be and is too inconsistent on offense.

Those are few items to get the discussion started. This should be a very interesting summer!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully some of the great Laker fans on here will visit this board and we can get a logical (hopefully troll free) discussion!!

This should be a very interesting summer in Lakerland and there are a few things that need to be addressed:

1.) Dwight - Is he in or out? Will it be his choice? Dwight said that he is going to step away from everything for a couple of weeks and clear his head. This may be the smartest thing he has said all season long. He needs to get away, clear his head and either come back 100% committed to leading this team in the future or tell the Lakers that L.A. isn't for him and get the hell out. Either way, he needs to do this sooner rather than later so that the Lakers can start doing what they need to do.

2.) Who's running the franchise? - Esteemed Laker fan and poster Big Red Slugs, stated on another thread that Simmons and Wilbon said that Jeannie will be taking over this summer and that Magic knows something that he can't say. If this is true, it is great news for the Lakers and their fans. Jeannie is much more like her father than Short Buss is and will run the Lakers like Dr. Buss did. Plus, I'd say it virtually assures Phil takes either the coaching job or a job in the front office where he has input into personnel decisions.

3.) What about Pau? - Pau is the Lakers most tradeable commodity. He is also someone that Kobe has said he wants on the team. Even at his age, Pau is arguably the most skilled big in the league. Do the Lakers trade him or keep him and let his contract expire at the end of the season? What if the on again/off again Pau for K. Love trade rumors are on again and get serious? I say, if that happens, you make the trade. Everything else is case by case. I hate that Pau is the only tradeable commodity. He deserves to play out his final season without having to worry about constant trade rumors.

4.) Amnesty MWP? - Again, don't like talking about this because outside of Kobe, no one leaves it all out on the floor like MWP. The problem is that he is no longer the lockdown defender that he used to be and is too inconsistent on offense.

Those are few items to get the discussion started. This should be a very interesting summer!!

1. Is Howard worth the max deal? Is his max deal around $120 Million?? I'm not sold. I'm not saying I don't want Howard, but at $120 Million, I certainly don't want his limited offensive skill set + his bi-polar attitude. If he commits to working on his post moves and his FT shooting, than yeah, bring him back. Turning down that $30 mill is pretty damn tough!

2. If Jeannie runs the place, we can almost guarantee that Phil comes back and runs the team. This would be ideal!!!

3. I want Pau to stay, for the record! I know he's not coming cheap and he's getting up in age. But his skill set is far superior than most if not all big men in the league.

4. I'm not a amnesty guru. I really haven't gotten into how it works. But the Laker fans that have posted on CBS and now here, seem to have a real good idea how it works. But I agree with you TF12, he's not what he used to be, that's for sure.

:2cents:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey TrojanfAn12 and Louie26 good stuff indeed. I am not so concerned with D12 as I am with removing Jim Buss and replacing him with Jeannie, which if true, is great news. She will do astronomically better than her dissociated brother and that indeed means that Phil will be hanging around in some capacity. I look for Don'tknowi to be shown the door because Jeannie by way of possibly Magic gets it that this dude needs to go.

The thing with Pau is interesting. The announcers yesterday mentioned that Pau's plantar fascitis in his foot and tendonitis in both knees were back and he played yesterday in alot of pain. The Lakers may know something like they knew something about Andrew Bynum's knees that may get Pau shipped out the door for Kevin Love or whomever.

Pau's skills are lengendary for a big man and Kobe will want him on the team but just like Metta and Jamison, Pau's physical health and thus career is on the downside and I think we will see all three gone in some capacity or another in favor of Earl Clark and Jordon Hill and maybe even Kevin Love. So yes, I think all three will be headed elsewhere mostly due to their physical health recuperative decrement as a result of getting older and little else.

Pau has played alot of basketball this past year and he needs rest more than anything. Howard came off some serious surgery so he needs rest as well. Nash might be the key. He is essentially done and I know Phil as a GM will work a deal to send him out the door to try to recupe some picks for youth. The same goes for Metta and possibly Jamison. So yea, the changes outlined are indeed significant.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Is Howard worth the max deal? Is his max deal around $120 Million?? I'm not sold. I'm not saying I don't want Howard, but at $120 Million, I certainly don't want his limited offensive skill set + his bi-polar attitude. If he commits to working on his post moves and his FT shooting, than yeah, bring him back. Turning down that $30 mill is pretty damn tough!

2. If Jeannie runs the place, we can almost guarantee that Phil comes back and runs the team. This would be ideal!!!

3. I want Pau to stay, for the record! I know he's not coming cheap and he's getting up in age. But his skill set is far superior than most if not all big men in the league.

4. I'm not a amnesty guru. I really haven't gotten into how it works. But the Laker fans that have posted on CBS and now here, seem to have a real good idea how it works. But I agree with you TF12, he's not what he used to be, that's for sure.

:2cents:

1.) Yeah, I agree about Dwight!! If he is coming back, he needs to commit to learning more post moves and improve his free throw shooting. Working with Hakeem in the off-season like Kobe and Lebron did would be a great start. Perhaps he could develop the "signature move" that most say he needs. For the free throws, he should spend some time with Steve Nash!!

2.) Agree re: Jeannie and Phil!! The NBA's new "power couple"? Phil, in virtually any capacity would be great. Phil as the coach or with a big say in personnel would be almost as good.

3.) Agree re: Pau. I have never wanted to see the Lakers trade him. The problem is that he is the only tradeable commodity. Thge only problem that I see with him is that he sometimes lets the trade talk effect his play. He needs to understand that even if the Lakers come out and say "There is no way that we are trading Pau", the media will still speculate about Pau being traded.

4.) I'm no amnesty guru either. I just know that if they amnesty anyone right now, it really doesn't help too much other than providing some luxury tax relief. Their best bet with the amnesty thing seems to be waiting until after next season when they can clear some big salaries and then use the amnesty to clear more space or allow them to go a little farther into the luxury tax if need be.

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He averaged a double-double coming back from a tough injury and was probably at 90% towards end of season. What my doubts creep up is his propensity not to be a force when the chips were down(again, maybe not at 100% yet) but mentally is what I question especially in yesterday's game. Is he made for the LA spotlight or a second tier city?? Lakers have also prided themselves on having top-line centers and he's no different, skill-wise, when he's healthy. But could he be another head case down the road a-la Bynum?

It would pleasantly shock this fan if Jeanie started running team and PJ came back. Just don't see it happening with Jim in the picture.

100% on board with this opinion but with D'Antoni in the mix, he may not fit in his offense. Other than seeing 3 trip dubs last week of season, will be a year older and slower yet especially on D. Then again, his skill set as mentioned is as good as they come for his size.

MWP's best days are behind him. Won't shed a tear if he's not on team next year. Why didn't they give Ebanks any PT this year? Must have had something to do with his arrest in pre-season or not playing hard.

Do Clark, Jamison, Morris, Meeks, Goudelock stay with the club? Somehow we need to get younger and giving some of these guys a shot at returning(not sure if Jamison walks after he got into D'Antoni's doghouse).

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do Clark, Jamison, Morris, Meeks, Goudelock stay with the club? Somehow we need to get younger and giving some of these guys a shot at returning(not sure if Jamison walks after he got into D'Antoni's doghouse).

I think alot of the roster moves will be predicated on who is going to be the coach next season. If D'Antoni, then the Lakers need to figure who they will keep that will fit into his offense. He still won't be able to go with the "7 seconds or less" but his offense CAN work for the Lakers if run correctly according to the talent they have.

Pau started playing better after he came back from the injury because D'Antoni stopped trying to make him into a "stretch 4" and let him play in a way that he's more comfortable with. The result was that he and Dwight started to develop some synergy and play better together. Dwight and Pau learning to play better together had alot to do with that final push that got the Lakers into the playoffs.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The prime objective this summer is resigning Dwight Howard. He may have some shortcomings (FTs, solid post moves) but when healthy is a top-5 NBA player in my opinion. We've seen over the last few weeks just what kind of an impact a healthy Dwight can have, especially defensively. He'll do his due diligence as a free agent, but ultimately I believe signs with the Lakers. I'm confident that he'll work on his shortcomings this summer and be fully healthy and ready to get back to work this fall.

I haven't heard anything about Jeanie taking over for Jim or that Magic has some top secret inside information. I hope the first part is true. I echo comments that this would likely get Phil back in the mix. Hopefully as coach then an eventual transition into the front office. I think Phil as coach guarantees Dwight resigning. What the heck does Magic know?!?!

I'm on the fence about Pau. You certainly keep him if Phil is coach. Phil understands how to run an offense through the post. His contract then runs out and a decision can made to move on or not. However, if D'Antoni is back, I wouldn't be angry if he gets traded for younger perimeter players. Any players coming back need to be expiring contracts though. I don't want to see 2014/2015 cap space eaten up for decent players when the potential may be there to aquire a superstar.

Amnesty Metta. He's not a good player anymore. His offense is inconsistent and his perimeter defense is no good. If he can't body up an opponent, he's toast. He doesn't have the lateral quickness anymore to slow opponents off the dribble.

I'd use the stretch provision on Nash to save a little money, unless Toronto wants to trade Lowry for him. Does Nash have a "no trade" clause?

I would try to resign Hill, Clark, and Meeks. Not sure if that will be possible given the Lakers payroll level and potential level of offers those guys will receive from other team. I think these guys can continue to play solid roles.

Lastly, TWC needs to get rid of Bill Macdonald. I like the guy. He's been around LA sports going back at least I think to the start of Prime Ticket. He's not any good at calling games though. He's better than Meyers I suppose. Too bad Spero Dedes left for New York. I liked his play by play.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im hoping to turn on the TV and see Breaking News: Jim Buss turns over operations to Sister and she immediately relieves D'antoni of his Coaching Duties.

I like the idea of Adelman as the coach but JVG would be option 1B. If rumors come to pass and Jackson replaces mitch, I can see him bringing in Brian Shaw who he wanted to pass his torch to in the first place.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd use the stretch provision on Nash to save a little money, unless Toronto wants to trade Lowry for him. Does Nash have a "no trade" clause?

I never liked the idea of signing nash in the first place and if we could get Lowry for him that would be awesome. Its getting really old watching PGs dominate who ever we put at the PG position.

Depending on these moves, I wouldnt mind seeing them pick up J Jack as another option, if his price tag isn't high after the warriors playoff run

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with many points by Lakersrule and jayviabay. Good stuff guys! I am hoping the same for the franchise. Jeannie just has more of her father's business and basketball smarts than Jim hopes to have. With her in place, Phil would most definitely would replace Mitch and Brian Shaw would be the man.

That combo of Phil and B. Shaw would be lethal for alot of reasons. I think Meeks, Hill, Clark, and Goudelock would be re-signed along with Dwight and Pau (who may get an extension) and I am fairly certain Nash would be gone for Lowry. Blake may or may not be back. I like the way he was playing in Kobe's absence and he would be a good retention.

Morris is another story. His D was good but he needs good coaching to build his offensive confidence. He just doesn't get what he needs under Don'tknowi. He just gets too wild out there on O with dumb mistakes and TO's. The same goes with eBanks. I would definitely bring Sacre-le-blue back because he is a good young big man with a good upside especially on D and rebounding.

We shall see gents as the June draft approaches and we pick-up a player in the second and an undrafted FA.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who knows with Dwight. Quite frankly, he needs to get his ass kicked and I thought this even before LA acquired him. He needs someone to slap him around and make him realize that he has all the tools to be an elite center but the only one who can make it happen is him and he's been the problem since Day 1. The problem for teams though is they all see those tools and will pay for them regardless. That means even if LA doesn't think he warrants a max contract (he doesn't based on his play), SOMEONE will give it to him. Therefore, LA has no choice but to match. Whether he's the future or not is irrelevant. He's an asset that can't be allowed to walk for nothing. Sign him with intentions of him being on the team but keep all backchannels open for trades.

I wouldn't read too much into it. Wilbon doesn't know shit. I like him on TV but he just runs in NBA circles for the perks. He never has any useful news in regards to the future. Heck, he was floored Lebron went to Miami despite being a fairly plugged in guy. Same for Simmons. Simmons loves to speculate. He's knowledgable about the NBA for sure, but he's constantly throwing out what if scenarios.

Keep him or trade him. Honestly, I'd keep him in just about any scenario considering he's only on the books for one more year. Only way I'd let him go is if I'm getting back a top flight prospect or young star in return, both are unlikely. Any trade for a pupu platter of workable rotation players isn't worth it.

Yeah, amnesty Artest. He's not worth it. You can find rotation players that do what he's doing now for a cheaper price.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the paramount shift in this organization is to demote Jim Buss to selling programs at the front door. As a decision maker he appears to be useless.

I would welcome any input from PJ, but I'm not sure he can stand the physical rigors of coaching. If the team isn't going to get faster and younger then D'Antoni's system needs to go.

Howard is the best Center in the game today. I can't see why we wouldn't want him back.

The bench needs a near total overhaul. This team needs depth desperately.

How good will Kobe be next season? I don't see him even playing until January or February. Who fills that void in the meantime? The Lakers should start looking for his replacement now.

Lots to do and I'm not sure it can all be accomplished in one off-season.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great posts so far!! We are definitely in for an interesting off-season!! Driving home today, I was listening to the Petros and Money show!! Money made a good point that he thinks that the Lakers will need to choose between D'Antoni or Dwight!!

If Dwight is the choice, which Money believes to be the case, then he believes that Phil will be the coach. However, if not Phil, then who?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great posts so far!! We are definitely in for an interesting off-season!! Driving home today, I was listening to the Petros and Money show!! Money made a good point that he thinks that the Lakers will need to choose between D'Antoni or Dwight!!

If Dwight is the choice, which Money believes to be the case, then he believes that Phil will be the coach. However, if not Phil, then who?

Money is slightly misguided. It's not Dwight or D'Antoni. It's more like "Hey Dwight, do you want D'Antoni?"

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, great discussion in the off season after last night. OK I will start with #1.

I don't want Dwight to stay. I know he is the best or near best center in the NBA but really a head case and a half. Last night proved it. Instead of fighting all the way to the end with his team, he gets the attitude and there he goes in the 3rd quarter. I think he has mentally checked out many times this year, great players never do that but he does. Let him go to Houston or Dallas or whereever and save the 130 million.

Jennie needs to take over even in a hostile takeover for her father's soul. Little Jimmy needs to fade into just putting money in the bank and leave the basketball operations to Jennie and hopefully Phil as GM and Brian Shaw as coach. DA has to go and now would be a good time and I don't care if Dwight is here or not, DA still needs to go.

I like Pau and thank him for all he has done for the Lakers. He has been a great pro for us but his time is done. He is the only trade guy we have and I don't think that even measures up to Kevin Love really. But get what you can in young players or draft choises save cap space also. That is why it is important to make the Jennie, Phil and Shaw deal now, let Dwight go and trade Pau, he does not deserve to have it over his head for months again.

As far as Kobe, let him get better and when he comes back he does. No MWP, Nash has a contract for 3 years but he is done too. Give him away and accept the loss in cap space. Keep Clark, Meeks, Goudelock and Hill and maybe even Blake and Morris and go with what you got for the season. I know, it will be down next season but after 2014 most money is off the books.

I know I am painting a dull picture but the Lakers must retool as soon as possible to get back to championship form. I don't know if Kobe can handle the change but for him to get back to the playoffs, I don't think the big cap, the big whinner, the big loser coach or the options being shown today will work.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blue, I think the picture you paint is a realistic one and we did similar things in the 1974-76 season when an aging Lakers team let go of some favored players like Zelmo Beatty and Happy Hairston and eventually traded for a very young Lewis Alcindor who we all know is the same Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

In this case I'd keep all the young guys you mentioned and even Sacre at center to start a rebuilding core and cut the losses that need to be made. I'd set up a return for Kobe and proceed from there. Kobe's return would be important because he could teach all those young guys along with B. Shaw the mental toughness a championship requires. Shoot I envision Kobe even becoming a coach at one point in the future.

That is why Jeannie's takeover is so important because she'll make the necessary moves, Jim Buss won't. He is too freakin wimpy and disconnected. Phil as GM would be the necessary backbone because I know he would bring in B. Shaw and the rebuilding would begin. If we can trade Nash to get a Lowry, that would be good too.

Like you and others have stated, it all depends on the direction the FO wants the franchise to go. Jeannie will favor rebuilding and a new coach. Jim Buss will probably keep everyone and resign D12. We shall see though.

Thumper

The "winners" won't let me post.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer to let Dwight stroll. I know the plan was to max him out and keep him. $118 million for 5 years. And that brings an 86 million dollar penalty tax. In effect, 200 million $ Dwight. If he goes to other teams, he gets 88 mil. A loss of 30 mil $ for him but we wouldn't pay the 86 mil $ penalty (as far as I understand it) I'm tired of hearing about how he is only 27 years old... yeah, with back surgery, torn labrum, weak attitude, poor freethrows that allow Hack-A-Dwight. And I bet more injuries coming for the big guy. I don't think he gets or will be able to get LA Laker pressure.
Also if we give him 118 mil and pay the tax of 86 mil $ I think it kills us for any other moves. Just don't re-sign him please.

Thumper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jeannie thing... Junior is head of basketball operations- Legally speaking.

Jeannie is head of everything else besides basketball operations.

Maybe Magic & Jeannie and a group could do a buy-out of her Bro?

Probably NOT going to happen.

Phil Jackson isn't coming back to coach. He would want to be GM. But why get rid of Kupchak? No reason.

Get over the Phil Love and Jeannie Love, please. Or bring back Magic, Kareem, Byron Scott, Rambis, & Coop- i.e, gimme a break!

And the D'Antoni hate is overblown. Get over yourselves!

heatmyshorts

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dwight is a disappointment. We are all guessing at what his next move would be. You want a player who will be loyal and understand how it is to lead a team. He has shown signs of this when he brought the Magic to the Finals. His demeanor and confidence is not the same as it is with the Lakers. The Laker fans shouldn't take it as a huge loss if Dwight leaves. But to bank on signing him in because "there are no other centers like him" is foolish. If Dantoni is to coach the Lakers next year, he should have players that buy into his system. That starts with an unselfish pointguard. Nash is too old. Someone like Chris Paul can flourish in Dantoni's world.

You have to be practical with what you have and who you could retain.

Thumper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pau? 19 million for one year. Getting older and more injured so I question how much he brings back in a trade.