• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's Your Analysis of Rangers?

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I trust the viewpoints on this board more than anything I read or hear anywhere else.
What is your objective analysis of Blueshirts personnel and style, and how we match up against them?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are playing pretty inspired with Martin St.Louis' mother passing away on Mother's Day. They were down 3 games to 1 to the Penguins when that happened and have really rallied to make this run. This also coincided with Kreider's return to the lineup, so he has added some serious speed and depth to their forwards. They are maybe 1-2 years removed from being the #1 seed in the East, so this isn't just an inspired run, though it feels like a little bit of one.

Kreider did take out Price (I am not saying it was dirty or not, just stating that Price didn't play after Game 1), so it's really hard to get a good understanding of the Rangers from that series. To me, it felt like when Lundqvist was on, he was really on (Game 6 shutout at Home), and when he wasn't, he really wasn't (Giving up 4 goals in Game 5).

The Rangers are defensive, which may be the first team that LA has played that is going to try to defend first. They like low scoring games like the Kings, which wasn't the case with Chicago, Anaheim, or San Jose. Their PP has been really clicking with Brad Richards coming to form, St. Louis doing his thing in the high slot and down low, and Nash finally chipping in. McDonaugh is a beast, and he was phenomenal in the Olympics in shutting down the other team's top guys. He really is an outstanding defenseman.

To the Kings advantage, Puck mentioned it, but down the middle with 4 good centers will be hard for NYR to manage. Whoever McDonaugh is playing, the other of the top 2 lines is going to need to produce. The Kings are going to play a heavy game and it should pay off late in games/the series. Doughty has been all-world and it seems that for the most part, the Kings have all hands on deck (Assuming Stoll is still okay from missing time in Game 7). No word on Regehr, but it would be nice to, at least, have him as an option if something pops up. Still nice having Schultz in waiting with some experience.

Kings may need to be patient in this series, especially since there was so much offense against Chicago. I could see many more scoreless periods in this series. Also, having home ice will be different, and the Rangers are actually going to have to travel for a change, so we'll see how the Kings respond to starting at home, as well as how the Rangers will play traveling out west.

That's my $.02 on what's up.

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good analysis Stunner. I might add that New York is another speed team and the Kings will have to control their speed through the neutral zone.

Ox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Ox. You're right on their speed. I could see their smaller/quicker lineup being a problem at times for the likes of Greene and Muzzin. I think Mitchell has enough reach to compensate for his lack of quickness and Doughty/Voynov/Martinez should be effective in defending because they are all pretty mobile.

The Kings need to defend with all five for sure, especially since the Rangers love that stretch pass to hit Kreider and their other speed guys for breaks. Kings need to watch out when they do their full line change move. I feel like it may catch them in this series if they're not careful.

I actually believe that Mike Richards returning to face an Eastern opponent will tap into something and I see him being a difference maker in this series (Or maybe I am just hoping).

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers have some "mo-jo" right now and if their goalie gets hot, anything can happen. Quick got hot in 2012 and we got our first cup. I do not understand why "critics" are writing the Rangers off. Lundqvist stepped up his play and locked things up when needed in every round. He was the sole reason they beat Pittsburgh in Game 7 (one of the few other playoff games I watched as I thought Pittsburgh was going to advance to the SCF).

The Kings beat Chicago because they got after the VASTLY OVERRATED Crawford. There is nothing overrated about Lundqvist. This series is anyones guess.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers didn't play teams who crash the net like LA does however - Pittsburgh? Montreal? Skill teams with minimal grit.

I'm not trying to take anything away from them - they did play whatever competition was handed to them - but against Tampa Bay and Montreal they faced back up goalies because both starters (Bishop, who was stellar, and Price, who is MVP material) were injured and out. Pittsburgh hasn't had much success in the last 5 years, and Fleury didn't do them any favors either (as usual).

I'm very confident the Kings are going to win this series, and it will be because none of the three teams NY beat are anything like the Kings - big, physical, relentless on the forecheck, crash the net for style of play and strength down the middle (Kopitar/Carter/Stoll/Richards > Stepan/Richards/Brassard/Moore on every line) for personnel.

The games still have to be played of course, but I am expecting a second Kings title in 5 or 6 games. Even less if Quick can reach his other world level again.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Kings should beat the Rags in 4 of five games. I give the Rags 1 because of Lundqvist. The Rags do have a lot of talent that has finally come to play this post season but as pointed out I think the strength down the middle and LA able to win even tho Quick was subpar and Voynov was wearing a Hawks jersey and being able to score so many goals without having Brown/Kopitar/King/Voynov ect really chipping in any points is telling of how deep LA really can be.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not disagree with you guy in any way, especially down the middle - it's a as clear as day we have a big advantage there. I just get scared when critics give the Rangers post board material.