• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Whats the deal with Jurickson Profar

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Don't see the Andrus experiment in his 2nd season as a failure, he boosted his walk total quite a bit and his average remained essentially the same, his only real problem (offensively) that year was he hit for absolutely ZERO power, which isn't necessary for a lead-off hitter anyway

You're right. He actually hit better his rookie season then he did in any season up until 2013 predominantly batting 9th. His sophomore season he was predominantly leading off 134 games. The 10 games he batted #9 I bet without checking were at the beginning of the season when Wash had Borbon leading off.

HSO ... going back and looking at 2009 and 2010 ... TEX sure hung Davis and Borbon out to dry putting them in situations where they had very little chance of success. Both get June call ups tearing up AAA ... and then the following spring for some reason TEX thinks they can put it all back together at ST and management is surprised when they struggle.

HSO ... I got the feeling back then that Wash relished seeing young prospects struggle remembering how long it took him to get a ML job. I think seeing guys with a 'silver spoon' in their mouth fail day after day just underscored for Wash why he wanted JD to find old veterans to fill roster spots.

I think there has been a whole lot of learning about young guys since then.

Last edited by a moderator:

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't see the Andrus experiment in his 2nd season as a failure, he boosted his walk total quite a bit and his average remained essentially the same, his only real problem (offensively) that year was he hit for absolutely ZERO power, which isn't necessary for a lead-off hitter anyway

The thing that sticks out in my mind about Elvis hitting lead off that year was that he seemed to get locked in on taking pitches, which is OK, but he took way to many good pitches that were right down the middle. The kind of pitches that Kinsler can put in the seats.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The thing that sticks out in my mind about Elvis hitting lead off that year was that he seemed to get locked in on taking pitches, which is OK, but he took way to many good pitches that were right down the middle. The kind of pitches that Kinsler can put in the seats.

Good memory Al. In 2010 Elvis had a team high 40% Strikes Looking percentage. Behind him was Murphy @ 35%. Team best was no surprise Vlad @ 13% with league average 28%.

2010 Texas Rangers Batting Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com

As noted before Borbon batted leadoff in the first 9 games in 2010 then he and Elvis were flipped. While Elvis had the highest Looking Strike % and was criticized for not putting the ball in play ... actually Borbon had the team's second best Ball in Play % (36%) behind Vlad (40%) and in front of Hamilton (33%). This goes to my point that TEX did not make most effective use or development of either Andrus or Borbon (along with Davis) as they were developed.

Had TEX started Andrus in the leadoff spot at the beginning of 2010 with Borbon at 9 for the first month and then flipped them ... no telling what might have happened with the more aggressive Borbon batting effectively in the leadoff spot. Since they got it wrong ... both Borbon (and for different reasons Chris Davis) ended up marginalized and losing their plate confidence.

To be determined if Borbon eventually displaces David DeJesus but there are already some in Chicago calling for Borbon to get more PT in CF or RF. Borbon in limited PT already has 4SB only 2 behind Soriano for team lead.

Swangin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still would rather have a guy with more power always hitting behind baserunners instead of ahead of them. give me 1 or 2 runs over just moving a guy over.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Still would rather have a guy with more power always hitting behind baserunners instead of ahead of them. give me 1 or 2 runs over just moving a guy over.

Kinsler has 2499ABs in the leadoff spot and 28 times in his opening AB he has homered. His next highest ABs (316) came in the third spot.

I'm thinking that no matter how many of us say otherwise ... Kinsler will be leading off for as long as he wants to.

Swangin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinsler has 2499ABs in the leadoff spot and 28 times in his opening AB he has homered. His next highest ABs (316) came in the third spot.

I'm thinking that no matter how many of us say otherwise ... Kinsler will be leading off for as long as he wants to.
He will, and it's not a terrible thing. I just thought going into this year it might be a good idea to switch Elvis and Kinsler. Elvis OBP had been rising, while Kinlser's was dropping, and it's pretty obvious which one has more power. Personally I have no problem with Kinsler leading off, only have a problem when you don't at least look at options to better a team. (not saying that has happened)

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep. I only brought up Profar's name as a lead off hitter while Kinsler is on the DL. I like Kisler there because he has some pop in his bat. I think Profar may be better suited as a #2 somewhere down the line.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will, and it's not a terrible thing. I just thought going into this year it might be a good idea to switch Elvis and Kinsler. Elvis OBP had been rising, while Kinlser's was dropping, and it's pretty obvious which one has more power. Personally I have no problem with Kinsler leading off, only have a problem when you don't at least look at options to better a team. (not saying that has happened)

Kinsler had a down year after an incredible year. That hardly constitutes "dropping".

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yep. I only brought up Profar's name as a lead off hitter while Kinsler is on the DL. I like Kisler there because he has some pop in his bat. I think Profar may be better suited as a #2 somewhere down the line.

I agree with you while Kinsler is out ... BUT right now I just would like to see someone else batting second ... and Profar is the logical candidate. My fear would be that if Wash agreed with you that Profar would be better leading off ... he'd flip flop Profar and Elvis ... AND LEAVE MURPHY batting second.

Getting the second spot fixed is the first step. Then in two weeks an Elvis - Profar switch would not be as big a deal.

Babysteps. Just got to get Murphy back down in the bottom of the order where he belongs.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romeo ... course TEX could always go with the idea promoted over on the ESPN Dallas board and play Kinsler in CF?

There are some strange posts over there.

The only posters with any sense over there are you, rev, DTLUNA, djones, dummysr, bennieyes, and on very rare occasions Lainey (when she's not posting with her horomones and female emotions).

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The only posters with any sense over there are you, rev, DTLUNA, djones, dummysr, bennieyes, and on very rare occasions Lainey (when she's not posting with her horomones and female emotions).

My list is shorter but it's the idiots I have the most fun with. It has been a laid back week and unfortunately I spent more time there than I should have. The longer I am there the more caustic and cryptic I get.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My list is shorter but it's the idiots I have the most fun with. It has been a laid back week and unfortunately I spent more time there than I should have. The longer I am there the more caustic and cryptic I get.

I love taking the idiots in there to school when they come in with some stupidity like, "Ian sucks, he pops out a lot". Or, "we have to extend Cruz" every time he hits a moon shot.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I rarely read for more than a couple posts before I become nauseous and have to leave

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I rarely read for more than a couple posts before I become nauseous and have to leave

Ever go back to the old forum? I'll check in there every couple of days but its pretty much a ghost town. Only thing that gets posted are crazy trade projections on Stanton or Price. ESPN Dallas unfortunately is better than the mother board. This is where the few of us who are more or less rationale post. It's like we are all cast members in "Lost".

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever go back to the old forum? I'll check in there every couple of days but its pretty much a ghost town. Only thing that gets posted are crazy trade projections on Stanton or Price. ESPN Dallas unfortunately is better than the mother board. This is where the few of us who are more or less rationale post. It's like we are all cast members in "Lost".

Sometimes when I'm REALLY bored, the stupidity tends to overwhelm a person

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am coming off of my trade profar stance..........i was thinking stanton instead of price,but i say we move ian/mitch next year and roll with profar/elvis at 2b/ss

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am coming off of my trade profar stance..........i was thinking stanton instead of price,but i say we move ian/mitch next year and roll with profar/elvis at 2b/ss

No. Just no.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
???? no to what ... you want to keep profar in triple AAA next year instead of mlb

or do you just want to trade him.....either way something will be done next year