• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's the deal with Deon Sanders?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not that what he has done isn't impressive, he just hasn't done it with the team that went 1-11 last year. He brought in over 80 new players. There is almost no one left from that team.

USC was 4-8 the season before Lincoln Riley took over. He gets credit for the 11-win season and for the 3-0 start this season, but he didn't turn around a 4-8 team because a lot of those players were gone. He didn't bring in nearly as many new players as Deion did either.

I mean, what took the Lakers from a team with a losing record at the trade deadline to a team that made the WCF last season? Darvin Hams coaching? Or the fact that they got rid of Westbrook and brought in players who actually fit around Lebron and AD? Ham did a fine job. But it was improving the pieces around Lebron and AD more than his coaching that got them there.

Again, not knocking what Deion has done. I'm just saying that this idea that he turned around a 1-win team is false.
He did turn around a 1-11 program.

He’s done it with better players.

Don’t understand why anyone would hold that against him. The better players are there because of him. The team is better, because of him.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of it is me seeing the trash that strolls through the comments and message boards that I am a member of. There was as much "TCU isn't close to the same team as last year" narrative as there was praise. Who was praising him? Who was hating? The demographics were pretty clear.

Colorado St is a shit team. No one affiliated with CU or it's fandom is "proud" of that win. But when you're on the brink of losing to an in-state rival and you pull it off, there's excitement to that. The whole days worth of media coverage and such fueled that too. But yet I see CU being trashed for it's student fans for rushing the field against a shitty MWC team. The field goal posts are moving. Prime/CU get praised and trashed regardless of what they do. If they somehow beat Oregon (I am not thinking that will happen) maybe more will buy in. But if they get smoked, the haters will be coming out in flocks I guarantee it.

Welcome to sports. Of course, the haters will come out. There is legitimate reason to question how good CU is because they have played bad teams.

While they have won, they have also had their weaknesses exposed by those teams and they haven't beaten those teams the way you would expect an elite team to beat them.

Tomorrow will tell us a lot...but as of right now...I see a team that likely finishes somewhere from 6-6 to 8-4 and makes a bowl game. That would be a huge improvement for CU and will set them up nicely for the Big 12 next year where they should contend for the conference title.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don’t understand why anyone would hold that against him. The better players are there because of him. The team is better, because of him.

He didn't turn around a 1-11 team because that's not the team he coached. Not sure why that's difficult to understand or considered a criticism. It's just a fact. It's not the same players.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't turn around a 1-11 team because that's not the team he coached. Not sure why that's difficult to understand or considered a criticism. It's just a fact. It's not the same players.
No fucking shit it’s not the same players.

It’s the same program. Colorado Football.

He doesn’t coach the same players, because the old ones were shit. So he brought in good ones, since he’s not an idiot.

JTFC…

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No fucking shit it’s not the same players.

It’s the same program. Colorado Football.

He doesn’t coach the same players, because the old ones were shit. So he brought in good ones, since he’s not an idiot.

JTFC…

Yeah, he does. To turn around a team that went 1-11...you need to be coaching the players who went 1-11.

It's not the same team.

JTFC...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of it is me seeing the trash that strolls through the comments and message boards that I am a member of. There was as much "TCU isn't close to the same team as last year" narrative as there was praise. Who was praising him? Who was hating? The demographics were pretty clear.

Colorado St is a shit team. No one affiliated with CU or it's fandom is "proud" of that win. But when you're on the brink of losing to an in-state rival and you pull it off, there's excitement to that. The whole days worth of media coverage and such fueled that too. But yet I see CU being trashed for it's student fans for rushing the field against a shitty MWC team. The field goal posts are moving. Prime/CU get praised and trashed regardless of what they do. If they somehow beat Oregon (I am not thinking that will happen) maybe more will buy in. But if they get smoked, the haters will be coming out in flocks I guarantee it.
But TCU isn’t remotely the team they were last year. That isn’t a narrative it is just a fact. You can’t take the collective or say there is a narrative because of internet trolls. You can’t throw in demographics as though it is a racial thing.

And I’m saying Colorado State is a shitty team and they needed 2 OT’s to beat them. So people have every right to be “over” the whole Coach Prime is a god as though the team has a shot at anything other than a mid tier bowl. It’s ok, that you think it is hate, it isn’t any different than what people say about Gonzaga every year for basketball.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s a program.

Each year has a different team.

This current one is massively better than all the recent ones.

Hope that helps.
Yeah, which proves your entire point wrong. Glad you agree.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a CU grad and lived in Boulder/Louisville areas. Without going into the "R" word here, he's bringing a lot of culture that classic white Karen America don't like. Am I in that group, definitely not. I'm a minority myself and I recall the intentional and unintentional racism I experienced when I was in CO. But he's very polarizing regardless and I love what he's bringing to CU as an alum.

Both my sons graduated from CU. Just moved outta Boulder earlier this year. And I agree with what you said.

JonBlaze

KFFL Alum
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome to sports. Of course, the haters will come out. There is legitimate reason to question how good CU is because they have played bad teams.

While they have won, they have also had their weaknesses exposed by those teams and they haven't beaten those teams the way you would expect an elite team to beat them.

Tomorrow will tell us a lot...but as of right now...I see a team that likely finishes somewhere from 6-6 to 8-4 and makes a bowl game. That would be a huge improvement for CU and will set them up nicely for the Big 12 next year where they should contend for the conference title.
Just to feel we have a chance on Saturdays is a nice change lol. Last year I suffered through 11 torturing games and enjoyed 1 vs Cal.

Cheering for a good game today but honestly don't expect to stay within 20.

JonBlaze

KFFL Alum
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But TCU isn’t remotely the team they were last year. That isn’t a narrative it is just a fact. You can’t take the collective or say there is a narrative because of internet trolls. You can’t throw in demographics as though it is a racial thing.

And I’m saying Colorado State is a shitty team and they needed 2 OT’s to beat them. So people have every right to be “over” the whole Coach Prime is a god as though the team has a shot at anything other than a mid tier bowl. It’s ok, that you think it is hate, it isn’t any different than what people say about Gonzaga every year for basketball.
I don't blame anyone who is tired of Prime and the Colorado coverage. It's a bit much even for me as a fan. You bring this much attention you have to be prepared to take the good and the bad that comes with it.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
doing a pretty good job coaching a team that was awful last year.i never and still don,t like him but i give him credit for doing the job well so far.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he does. To turn around a team that went 1-11...you need to be coaching the players who went 1-11.

It's not the same team.

JTFC...
Note that he used the word program

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly. I never liked Deion, but I'm all in favor of what he is doing in Boulder. I lived there for a summer, watched The Dead in that stadium, played Frisbee on that field. I am rooting for Colorado and the only reason for that is Deion Sanders.

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People hate change and people hate cockiness

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never understood why diehard Buffs fans consider the Huskers a rival. I think it's more jealousy.

The all time series is 49-21-2. That's not a rivalry. That's getting your ass kicked by your neighbor.
When 43 of your 49 wins come before the year 2000 and we’re in 2023 ya it’s more of a rivalry than when Nebraska was stomping CU every year in the 1970’s and 80’s.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't blame anyone who is tired of Prime and the Colorado coverage. It's a bit much even for me as a fan. You bring this much attention you have to be prepared to take the good and the bad that comes with it.
I truly don’t think it is Deion, it is the coverage from the ESPN, Fox, all the talk shows much like Oregon had Phil Knight paying everyone for attention. That isn’t on you or Deion. It’s just a bunch of talking heads or in a majority of the times it is ex football players that prove even if you played the sport that doesn’t make you and expert. Deion and Colorado are fine, you’re just in the Oregon stage you just have the coach instead of the pink uniforms or uniforms that aren’t even school colors.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People hate change and people hate cockiness
Yeah some people just need a good Newsflash…

The only man on the planet to win a Super Bowl and a World Series is very confident. Yeah he’s also a HOF football player. It’s who he is.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah some people just need a good Newsflash…

The only man on the planet to win a Super Bowl and a World Series is very confident. Yeah he’s also a HOF football player. It’s who he is.
Deion didn’t get a World Series win

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the oregon coach talked a lot of trash about deion in his team pre game speech yesterday.apparently had made an off the cuff remark about oregon previously.that,s probably why he went for it on 4th down while up 35 points.