• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's Stan been doing?

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure the Hawks can afford Jagr...and not sure that Jagr will take a discount to play for the Hawks. I really don't see him playing with the Hawks for $1 million or about that.

Jagr would also be a big risk. At 42 years old, his upside is minimal and I thought he was near invisible for the Bruins against the Hawks in the Final series. But, he is terrific on the power play, which the Hawks desperately need help with.

I'm not sure that a 42 year old player fits into the Stan Bowman plan however. The Hawks are trying to get younger, certainly not older.

I felt the Carcillo trade would be used to free up just enough cap space, along with the remaining space they had left, to elevate Brandon Pirri and Ben Smith to the active roster.

Personally, I would rather give the kids a good look rather than sign a 42 year old who looked like he was near empty in the tank.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jagr looked empty, but he had a terrible first period where the commentators were saying to bench him already. Came out in the second and third and dominated. Its all pace with Jagr. If he plays 20-30 games during the season be ready for the playoffs. But right now we are blocking the kids from playing here, after Ben Smith in the playoffs in 2010, you thought he was a lock for the team, but never got there until one game last series. I would rather that kid play the first half of the season then decide if you need a veteran center for the push. I bet you let the kid play and he will deserve to be here for the playoffs.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben Smith seemed like a sure lock to make the team a couple times already. His problem is just staying healthy, whether it's at the NHL or AHL level. I thought he had a nasty concussion a couple years back that ended his season with a lengthy layoff. And then there were some other injuries the last year or two as well that has sidelined him.

As I have stated before, this whole season with an 82 game schedule and yet another compressed schedule due to the Olympics, will all depend on who can stay healthy on the Blackhawks. Losing a core player or two or even a couple role players or three for any extended period will have the Hawks, like any NHL team, in deep doo-doo.

HockeyDoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Bowman might make one more minor move for another marginal goalie to put behind Raanta or another dman so they don't have to rely on Stanton as the number 8. Low cost signing to a journeyman type. We'll see.

I'm not sure if the buyout contracts still count against the limit or not, we haven't seen the new CBA. It would mean Bowman has 46 or 48 contracts on the books. Lalonde is unsigned and they'll keep at least one spot open as long as they can to allow for a trade or late signing.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Bowman might make one more minor move for another marginal goalie to put behind Raanta or another dman so they don't have to rely on Stanton as the number 8. Low cost signing to a journeyman type. We'll see.

I'm not sure if the buyout contracts still count against the limit or not, we haven't seen the new CBA. It would mean Bowman has 46 or 48 contracts on the books. Lalonde is unsigned and they'll keep at least one spot open as long as they can to allow for a trade or late signing.

I believe Lalonde signed in Europe. The Hawks signed Mike Kostka and Theo Peckham, both with NHL experience, as depth d-men.

Kent Simpson and Mac Carruth will battle in training camp for the back-up goalie job in Rockford.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baseballnut77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bing where I live now I got to see carruth play and I believe he will be a good goalie down the line simpson in juniors was a good goalie on an exceptional team so I am not as sure about him but both will get plaenty of playing time once raanta goes up about mid-season. and everything I have read about raanta says he is the real deal

HockeyDoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Lalonde signed in Europe. The Hawks signed Mike Kostka and Theo Peckham, both with NHL experience, as depth d-men.

Kent Simpson and Mac Carruth will battle in training camp for the back-up goalie job in Rockford.

I had missed that with Lalonde. I think Peckham was signed to be a goon and I thought Kostka was just an AHL signing. I was thinking more along the lines of a Woywitka, Redden, or Eminger type as the number 8. I don't think they're all that comfortable with Stanton yet and most teams use 9 or 10 dmen over the course of a year.

It will be interesting to see who gets in front of who with Carruth and Simpson. Both are so many years away and it may be tough to get either one plenty of ice time in Toledo because of the kid from N. Michigan that Detroit signed (if McCollum wins the backup job).

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With this being one of the "youth movement" years in their cycle, I hope they'd give Stanton or Clendening an audition if needed, over a has-been. I think it's more likely they'd make a move during the season/at the deadline if needed due to injuries.

Yeah, it looks like playing time could be an issue for both Simpson and Carruth regardless of who beats out whom for the AHL job. Goaltenders are so hard to judge, though.

Hockey's Future - Jared Coreau

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot to mention Dahlbeck as a potential call-up (intentionally omitting Olsen).

Also, from what I've been reading, there are some who think Kostka may be a great fit in the Hawks system as he plays a smart, safe game.

HockeyDoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might be right on about Kostka. He's more accomplished than I thought when I read about him. I probably only saw him at his worst.

HockeyDoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 x 6 for Stan. Tough to question him, but really tough not to be a little curious about this extension.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I more question the straight across the board salary. Even Quickie and Rask got escalated salaries the middle years to save money (and face) the final two years when they might be backups somewhere. Makes them a little easier to trade.

HockeyDoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, I don't see a reason NOT to frontload the contract a little bit.

HockeyDoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blackhawks Roster - Chicago Blackhawks - Team

The non-roster invitees are always interesting. Viktor Svedberg is about 12' tall (okay, only Chara's height). Bobby Shea will be ready to run some more players in the preseason. Look for him to injure a teammate trying to line somebody up. Brookbank's brother Wade will be there as will a few other Icehogs.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brendan Morrow signed by the Blues. Let's get that off the table once and for all.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ChrisKuc: Figure 4 spots open on #Blackhawks. Smith and Hayes likely in. Leaves Pirri, Morin, Stanton and Kostka battling for the other 2 openings.

He assumes that Bollig is definitely in.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brendan Morrow signed by the Blues. Let's get that off the table once and for all.

Hmm, Blues seem like a speedy team, don't think he fits well with them. I think he needs to go to a slower team. They say speed kills, which is true if you're facing someone with speed, but slowness kills your own team way worse. My Pens aren't the fastest team around but even managed to slow us down big time.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ChrisKuc: Figure 4 spots open on #Blackhawks. Smith and Hayes likely in. Leaves Pirri, Morin, Stanton and Kostka battling for the other 2 openings.

He assumes that Bollig is definitely in.

Seems to me it's Smith, Hayes, Pirri, Morin, Nordstrom and Winchester battling for 3 forward spots, with Stanton and Kostka hoping to unseat Brookbank.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pirri and Morin not skating on the four lines in practice today. Hayes taking Hossa's place.