• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's Stan been doing?

HockeyDoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just thought I would start a thread about what's going on in the front office.

Alex Broadhurst from the SW suburbs of Chicago just signed a EL contract. He'll be playing with his brother in Rockford.

Report from Chris Kuc.

HockeyDoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks sign Antti Raanta. He was one of the top European FA goalies out there. Not sure what he looks like but I think he'll be the best talent Rockford has seen in 3 years. That's not saying much.

Hawks system is terrible with goalies right now, years away from providing NHL quality backup even, this helps. Didn't think Bowman would land him, I'm happy about the move. He'll be cost controlled for a little bit and certainly plugs a hole in the system. Maybe he works out well long term. Other gms were gunning for the contract too.

Antti Niemi signed as a FA Finnish goalie in 2008 at the age of 24 too. Probably Tallon's best single move (most of his good moves weren't the result of solid planning or development, I'll spare the rant.) Not expecting Raanta to be anything special, but like LeBlanc signing, it's just a very nice addition to the pool that I wasn't expecting.

HockeyDoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Olesz and Montador passing waivers for the 3rd time in a few months. they'll be bought out at noon.
Bolland is rumored to be shopped around...I can only hope.

Bickell mentioned taking a discount, Stan wants to keep the group together.

Kruger, Leddy, Bickell, Roszival, Emery, Handzus, Stalberg, Mayers all up for contracts. Kruger, Leddy, and Bickell look like the priorities.

Not sure if Raanta is going to be the backup or if they'll keep Emery. Probably last ride for Mayers. Roszival, Emery, and Handzus probably too expensive to keep around. We should know more in a couple weeks.

Bolland, Frolik, Carbomb, and some prospects probably shopped around.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Olesz and Montador passing waivers for the 3rd time in a few months. they'll be bought out at noon.
Bolland is rumored to be shopped around...I can only hope.

Bickell mentioned taking a discount, Stan wants to keep the group together.

Kruger, Leddy, Bickell, Roszival, Emery, Handzus, Stalberg, Mayers all up for contracts. Kruger, Leddy, and Bickell look like the priorities.

Not sure if Raanta is going to be the backup or if they'll keep Emery. Probably last ride for Mayers. Roszival, Emery, and Handzus probably too expensive to keep around. We should know more in a couple weeks.

Bolland, Frolik, Carbomb, and some prospects probably shopped around.

Hoping they sign Bickell and Leddy. They seem to be the top priorities. Bickell, as noted by Doug, willing to take a hometown discount to stay. He loves Chicago, loves his teammates. Mentioned he could get more money elsewhere probably but not winning wouldn't be any fun.

Leddy, although seemingly in Q's doghouse at times in the playoffs, still is a young kid and probably has some upside, but I only see him as a 5 or 6 defenseman.

Emery also expressing his wishes to stay with the Blackhawks. If they can sign him for the same amount, could be possible.

Rozsival is the next priority, now that Montador has been put on waivers.

There is virtually no way Stalberg returns. Q can't stand him and despite his great speed, he doesn't finish. Stalberg stated today that maybe it might be better to go somewhere else where his role is more defined (hint, hint...I'm gonna be gone).

Handzus probably won't be back unless he signs for about a $1 mil. Everyone complained about his speed, but I thought he was fast enough. Certainly big enough...and nice leadership from a veteran.

Kruger...interesting. Part of the penalty killing duo, but neither one scores much. Hard to let them go, but aren't those players you can find somewhere else (like the AHL?).

Dave Bolland...sure, he scored the series winning goal, but you know they are going to be shopping him around. His $3.375 million cap hit is way too much for his limited skill set and the fact that he spends just about 30% of every season (at least) being hurt.

Carcillo won't be back. Enough said about that.

After the buyouts of Montador and Olesz, the Hawks have about $7.8 million + in cap space. Not too bad.

AHL'ers getting a good look at camp...Brandon Pirri (AHL leading scorer), Ben Smith, Jimmy Hayes, Jeremy Morin up front. Plus, Pirri's a center. On the back end, Adam Clendening seems to have the upper hand for a possible spot.

I like the position of the Hawks. Reduction in the cap space makes things tough, but all 30 teams are in that position. Hard to believe I'm gonna say this, but I trust Stan Bowman to make the tough and right decisions (OUCH, that really hurt to say).

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoping they sign Bickell and Leddy. They seem to be the top priorities.

Leddy, although seemingly in Q's doghouse at times in the playoffs, still is a young kid and probably has some upside, but I only see him as a 5 or 6 defenseman.

Rozsival is the next priority, now that Montador has been put on waivers.

There is virtually no way Stalberg returns. Q can't stand him and despite his great speed, he doesn't finish. Stalberg stated today that maybe it might be better to go somewhere else where his role is more defined (hint, hint...I'm gonna be gone).

Dave Bolland...sure, he scored the series winning goal, but you know they are going to be shopping him around. His $3.375 million cap hit is way too much for his limited skill set and the fact that he spends just about 30% of every season (at least) being hurt.

I like the position of the Hawks.

I'm not sure what Leddy did (or did not do) to end up riding the pine, but I hope the Hawks keep him. I know my opinion doesn't count, but I feel that Leddy has out-played Keith and Seabs at times.

I'm not sure where the hatred for Stalberg is coming from either (from coach Q)? The only issue I have with Stalberg (and it's the same issue with Frolik) is that they fall a lot. Doesn't take much to knock them off their skates. But for the TOI that they do play, I think they're worth keeping.

Love Rozsival. The thing that impresses me most about him is his patience with the puck. Some players that hang on to the puck as long as he does end hp making terrible passes, or turn the puck over. He doesn't, and he doesn't seem to get rattled doing it either. Hope they keep him.

Bolland. Will miss him. A little. But he needs to go.

(I wonder if Dale Tallon will use the buyout on Campbell? We probably couldn't afford him anyway, but I miss him. Great great defenseman.)

In the shadow of the 2nd Cup championship, I've heard a few NHL guys talk about the great position that the Hawks are in, from a salary cap, and also from a young, core group of solid athletes. I just wonder if some of these other NHL vets are also paying attention to the Hawks, and might be asking their agent to make a call to Bowman to see if their client could play for the Hawks on the cheap? That would be cool to be in that position.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the Hawks are $7.8 million under the cap. But that includes Bolland's salary of $3.375 million, which they want to shed. Figure Bickell wants something in the range of $2.5 million (give or take or few million), Rozsival probably wants a bit of a raise as well over the $2 million he made last year. And if the Hawks want to keep Ray Emery he will probably want a slight raise as well over the $1.15 million he made last seaseon...although not a real big increase because after all, he's just the backup. I don't see him starting for ANY team next season, not at his age.

But you also have to remember that the salaries ALSO include Ben Smith, Jeremy Morin and Jimmy Hayes, who are considered on the active roster. So, having them play next season really is not an addition to the salaries...they are already included.

Seems like the Hawks are really in terrific shape salary wise. A few signings of their own players (Bickell, Rozsival, Leddy, Emery) would only leave a few spots open. Hawks would need two centers though (replacing Handzus and Bolland) and that might be tough. Especially since the Hawks haven't had hardly any success finding even a second line center, let alone a third or a fourth.

I'm anxious to see how Brandon Pirri does in training camp. As a center, it would be great if he can take the next step in his game and really be able to jump in and grab a spot. He had terrific numbers at Rockford and I really like his potential. But the couple of times he was up with the Hawks in an abbreviated stay he didn't show all that much. Hoping he has matured enough to contribute and be a regular.

On other good news, it was reported that Marian Hossa's back is responding to injections to reduce the pain from his bulging disc in his back and that he is hopeful now that he won't need surgery. That would be a big relief going forward, but everyone knows that once you have a disc problem in your back it's a problem forever. It really never goes away (I know from firsthand experience).

Next week starts free agency. Should be an interesting week. Then the draft is coming up as well. Still lots of hockey news going on. And less than three months until September rolls around with training camp and exhibition season. Fun, fun, fun.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blackhawks draft West Dundee resident and Fremd HS (Palatine) graduate Ryan Hartman.

The Chicago Blackhawks selected Ryan Hartman with the No. 30 overall pick in the 2013 NHL Draft. Hartman is the final selection of the first-round and will join the Stanley Cup Champions.

Here's a profiled on Hartman courtesy of The Cannon:

I first took notice of Hartman at the World Juniors, where he stood out to me as a rough-and-tumble forward who could chip in with a little bit of scoring. I really started to like this kid at the Top Prospects Game in Halifax in January. Moments into the game he absolutely rocked Laurent Dauphin, bringing the crowd to its feet. He went on to dish out more hits, and showed that he could be dangerous around the net.

Here's the Wikipedia on Hartman:

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Hartman[/URL]

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blackhawks trade Dave Bolland to Toronto for three draft picks, a second round and third round pick in this years draft and a pick in next years draft.

Hawks needed a second and third since they traded those last year for Johnny Oduya.

Sad to see Bolland go, especially six days after scoring the Cup clinching goal in Game 6 at Boston. But Bolland, a tenacious defensive player, never stayed healthy enough, never scored enough, never won enough faceoffs and basically never lived up to his great minor league hockey stats, where he was a point a game player.

Plus, the Hawks save $3.375 million a year in cap space by ridding Bolland from the roster. Good luck to him and may he find success in his Ontario hometown.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blackhawks trade Michael Frolik to Winnipeg Jets for two draft picks this year (74 and 134 overall). At $2.333 million per year, too expensive for a fourth line role player. Predicting Marcus Kruger goes into a deep depression now...LOL.

With Bolland and Frolik gone, looks like Brandon Pirri and Ben Smith should make the team.

Hawks still looking for a number two center (where have we heard that before???).

Rumor has it that Bryan Bickell signs shortly (within the next few days). Rumors flying around he gets five million per year? I know that can't be correct. Nine regular season goals and nine playoff goals doesn't get you $5 mil. I'm thinking in the high $2 million area...like $2.75 a year. We shall see.

Hawks now $11 million under the cap. Can Vinny be coming to the Hawks?????

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks take Swedish defenseman Carl Dahlstrom with their second round pick from Toronto. 6'3" and 191 pounds.

Joins Oduya and Hjamarlsson to form a Swedish trio of defensemen.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryan Bickell resigns with the Hawks for four years. First reports state $3.8 million per year. Wow, that's a lot for a guy who was making $675,000 a year prior...and for a guy with 9 goals in the regular season.

Last edited by a moderator:

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All right...Draft Day and some signings.

Here's how it stands so far, but might change at any moment.

Traded: Dave Bolland and Michael Frolik
Soon to leave via free agency: Viktor Stalberg
Not resigned as free agents: Jamal Mayers, Michael Handzus

Still on the fence to resign as free agents: Marcus Kruger, Ray Emery, Nick Leddy, Michal Rozsival.

I know this is ridiculous as training camp is months away, we don't know what free agents will sign or be signed from other teams and it's just plain crazy...but I love to play with this stuff.

Lineups:

Bickell/Toews/Kane
Sharp/Brandon Pirri/Hossa
Saad/Shaw/Ben Smith
Jeremy Morin/Kruger/Jimmy Hayes or Brandon Bollig or Daniel Carcillo

Keith/Seabrook
Hjamarlsson/Oduya
Leddy/Rozsival/Brookbank

Crawford/Emery or Antti Raanta

Saad will take over Frolik's job on the penalty kill unit with Marcus Kruger, then Toews and Hossa on the second PK unit.

Easy...nothing to it. I should be coach/GM! LOL!

HockeyDoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frolik played great and adjusted to a new role well, 2.3 was just too much to pay for a player in that position. Fair return in trade.

Bolland, well, I've wanted him traded for years. A 2nd and 4ths was about as good as it could have gotten for an injury risk on an expiring UFA contract. I think that 2009 extension was what did Tallon in more than Barker and Versteeg. If he was bridged, Chicago would have still had him or received a massive return in a trade a couple years ago. 3.375 was just too much for him as well. Shaw was effective enough and the rookies are ready for ice time.

Bowman still got to pick a 2nd and 3rd this year after all, and much earlier than had he not traded for Oduya.

Bickell getting a million more than I like. I'm not a fan of this contract, but since they're losing Frolik, Bolland, Stalberg, and probably Handzus, I don't want any more turnover up front. Bickell has his work cut out for him living up to this contract.

Leddy and Kruger next. Might be enough room and a chance to keep Roszival and Emery. Both are still significant injury risks. I don't think we should expect the same or better than we from them last year, but I hope they can work out a deal. Leddy might get a big contract for 4 years, I'm fine with that. A short bridge-type contract will put the Hawks in a tougher spot with too many big extensions coming at the same time, so I'm okay with a little overpayment up front on Leddy. He's not in the doghouse imo, I think he's just undersized, young, and small, Q did let him out there in big situations later in games even though his minutes were way down.

MaidenRocks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what kind of numbers a line of Teows, Kane, Bickell would put up if they played together an entire season. They sure put up impressive numbers in the playoffs...

With Handzus (maybe) and Bolland gone, who are our 2nd, 3rd line centers going to be?

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what kind of numbers a line of Teows, Kane, Bickell would put up if they played together an entire season. They sure put up impressive numbers in the playoffs...

With Handzus (maybe) and Bolland gone, who are our 2nd, 3rd line centers going to be?

I'm just guessing, but the second line center will be Brandon Pirri. Of course, Patrick Sharp can also play center, so if Pirri doesn't work out look for Sharpie to play center once again and someone like Jimmy Hayes or Jeremy Morin to play wing. But if Pirri does work out, I'm thinking it's gonna be Pirri, Sharp and Hossa.

Third line center will remain Andrew Shaw. He's a pest, he's an agitator and he's a player that everyone hates to play against. Taking Viktor Stalberg's place on the third line will be Ben Smith. So, the revamped third line will be Shaw, Saad and Smith.

Fourth line will be Marcus Kruger, Morin, Hayes, Bollig, Carcillo. Mix and match as you see fit.

BTW, everyone is all stressed out about Michael Frolik being traded and what to do with the penalty killing duo? My guess is that Saad fills that role with Kruger. Saad played third pairing PK last season and was very effective doing so. Actually, he was much better at it than Dave Bolland was.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Leddy resigns with the Hawks for two years. No dollar amounts released as yet. Kruger and Emery seem to be up next.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still looking at the Hawks to resign Michal Roszival too. Fingers crossed with that one.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Emery signs with the Flyers. Smart move by Philly, they needed a solid backup for Mason thats more than a coach anyway.

Stephan Waite off to Montreal so a new Goaltending coach needed in chicago as well. I dont think Antii is gonna be ready next year, they want him to get acclimated to america in the AHL, might be forced to work early now.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roszivol and Hanzous resign, Stalberg and Hutton sign with the Predators. Lol. Didnt Stalberg score 5 or 7 of his goals against the Preds the last two seasons? He either plays great in that arena or is going to the only team he scores on.

Big surprise they were able to keep Roszivol, he was rated top 5 available defensemen as UFA's.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, in summary Blackhawks lose Dave Bolland, Michael Frolik, Viktor Stalberg and Ray Emery. Carter Hutton also, but no one gives a damn about him.

Hawks resign Nick Leddy, Michal Rozsival, Michael Handzus, Bryan Bickell.

Still waiting Marcus Kruger's decision.

Defense stays intact with the same 7 defensemen as last season. Nice.

Offense needs 3 players, so I'm guessing Brandon Pirri, Ben Smith and Jeremy Morin get first dibs. Possibly Jimmy Hayes.

Still need a backup goalie. I haven't a clue who that's gonna be, but pencil Corey Crawford in for at least 60 games now, barring any injury. I don't think anyone has a clue how good or bad Antii Raanta is.