• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Whats Doug thinking?

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well here is the list of names that I came up with, that Doug could be looking at that could help the Sharks blue line.

Dennis Wideman, Fla
Jordan Leopold, Buf
Chris Phillips, Ott
Thomas Kaberle, Tor
John Michael Liles, Col
Brent Burns, Min
Eric Brewer, Stl
Ryan Whitney, Edm

Well I think its more like a wish list, but to land a player like one of them sure won't cost a draft pick and a bag of pucks only.

I'm sure Doug will make the right move or moves.........I HOPE!!!!!!!! :confused::rolleyes:

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
although I really don't like byfuglien but shouldn't he be on the list as well? We already got blackhawk champions on our team and the atlanta thrashers might not make the playoffs. I guess it's a possibility and I'd be all for it. The guy can do wonders especially in the playoffs.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dougie will not make ANY moves dude... give it up already.

He's pretty much come out and said just that.

This is the team he's going into the playoffs with.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I doubt dougie will make any big moves at this point either. I admit that I cant see them going too far with this defense, but I dont think dougie wants to trade another 1st rounder for a rental. The farm is already pretty thin (ranked by HF as 27th), and I'm not sure that renting any of those dmen would put them over the top.

As of now, the scoring depth that wellwood and eager have brought in a new dimension was sorely lacking. also, the sharks have basically no space to add players anyway, so I think what you see it what you get at this point...

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I doubt dougie will make any big moves at this point either. I admit that I cant see them going too far with this defense, but I dont think dougie wants to trade another 1st rounder for a rental. The farm is already pretty thin (ranked by HF as 27th), and I'm not sure that renting any of those dmen would put them over the top.

As of now, the scoring depth that wellwood and eager have brought in a new dimension was sorely lacking. also, the sharks have basically no space to add players anyway, so I think what you see it what you get at this point...

Arent Both WellWide and Eager Beaver free agents next season? So maybe signing those guys before they bolt for nothing would be a good idea.

As for Hockeys Future i don't put much stock in that website, it tends to be off the majority of the time, it seems like they just plagiarizes other reports.

Not to say the sharks farm system is some sort of fruitfull bounty of awesome prospects, thats kind of obvious lol But its not completely barren either, i recall for the longest time they had some of the sharks top prospects either at the bottom of the list or not even on the board.

I think Dwill, will end up making a move for a dman, but it will be utterly disappointing, like making a move for a player like Bob Rouse.

I agree the way this team is currently configured on defense it wont go far unless Niemi carries the load and makes up for the pourus defense like Cam Ward did for Carolina during their cup run

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
niemi could do that... he has been pretty well this little 9-0-1 stretch.

I dont see dougie trading for another marginal Dman. They don't need depth on . If he moves for a defenseman, it will be a top 4 one. Kaberle and phillips will be dealt nearly 100%, but the asking will price will include a 1st rounder, and I just dont see dougie doing it...

As for the farm, coyle looks like he might be pretty good, but he's a couple years away. Viedensky, hamilton, varone, and even sgarbossa are all having pretty strong years, but none look like real studs as of yet. Doherty is also doing well, but despite his size, I dunno if he is good enough defensively. Braun looks like a near lock for the top 6 next year, and with his and demers' development, I feel that they actually could be in good shape next year. However, there is a clear lack of blue chip prospects in that farm...

Dougie would likely be willing to move top picks for defensemen who might stick around for a while. Not sure who that would be, but I still figure it's gunna be a quiet deadline for the sharkies...

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
niemi could do that... he has been pretty well this little 9-0-1 stretch.

I dont see dougie trading for another marginal Dman. They don't need depth on . If he moves for a defenseman, it will be a top 4 one. Kaberle and phillips will be dealt nearly 100%, but the asking will price will include a 1st rounder, and I just dont see dougie doing it...

As for the farm, coyle looks like he might be pretty good, but he's a couple years away. Viedensky, hamilton, varone, and even sgarbossa are all having pretty strong years, but none look like real studs as of yet. Doherty is also doing well, but despite his size, I dunno if he is good enough defensively. Braun looks like a near lock for the top 6 next year, and with his and demers' development, I feel that they actually could be in good shape next year. However, there is a clear lack of blue chip prospects in that farm...

Dougie would likely be willing to move top picks for defensemen who might stick around for a while. Not sure who that would be, but I still figure it's gunna be a quiet deadline for the sharkies...

I don't want him to do that either. However, if he feels any sort of pressure from management to make a deep playoff run, I can see him doing it and that would suck. Especially if it's for a rental.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be kind of cool to come out of Florida and take Wideman with. Defensive upgrade over both Wallin and Huskins (hell all of those guys are, despite the fact several of those guys aren't good defensive players) and he has a little offensive upside.

That said I really don't expect the Sharks to make any trades either. Wilson might be happy now, but when Wallin and Huskins get exposed in the playoffs, he's gonna be eating his shorts.

I think a lot of you guys are overrating the value of those defensemen. I think just about all of them could be had for less than a first round pick. Any GM that trades his first for any of them is either: desperate, under pressure from ownership, or just downright stupid.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dougie will not make ANY moves dude... give it up already.

He's pretty much come out and said just that.

This is the team he's going into the playoffs with.

Don't get me wrong rares, I agree in that I don't think that DWil will make a big splash. That said, you can't really believe GM's when they say what their plans are at the deadline. Usually GM's don't like to tip their hand one way or the other. No GM worth his salt is going to admit he's desperate.

Although HF is highly unreliable, you are right in that the cupboard is getting really thin of top flight talent. I actually hope that DWil stands pat unless it's a trade that helps the future as well (i.e. - a Weber or Seabrook type of player). The Sharks need to try to win one in the next 3 years after this year, not this year in my humble opinion. There are just too many holes to fill. Good post Rules, I whole-heartedly agree.

Last edited by a moderator:

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong rares, I agree in that I don't think that DWil will make a big splash. That said, you can't really believe GM's when they say what their plans are at the deadline. Usually GM's don't like to tip their hand one way or the other. No GM worth his salt is going to admit he's desperate.

You're right, really. :p

Dougie has always said he has no plans to make any moves (IIRC)... even when he DID end up making moves.

Ultimately, only he knows, yeah...

KillerVee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is Doug thinking? His inner monologue is probably something like this..

Last edited by a moderator:

KillerVee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're the best, Cmon! Such a little smarty-pants. :)

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I hope if Dswil deals for a ottawa Dman its Chris Campoli and not Phillips