• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What is Legend Status Worth?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Will Clark is a good case study for this question. He spent his first 8 years in SF, then when he hit FA, the Giants were the ones that moved on from him, he didn’t move on from the Giants. He only spent about 60% of his career with SF, but the fan base absolutely loves the guy, and always has. He was never viewed as the one who left, but rather as the one who was shown the door.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Will Clark is a good case study for this question. He spent his first 8 years in SF, then when he hit FA, the Giants were the ones that moved on from him, he didn’t move on from the Giants. He only spent about 60% of his career with SF, but the fan base absolutely loves the guy, and always has. He was never viewed as the one who left, but rather as the one who was shown the door.
I can't even think of what team Will Clark played for after the Giants.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$8 and a blue check mark

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just the twins being the twins

After the season, the small market Twins faced a decision on Ortiz, who had made $950,000 and would likely have been granted around $2 million for 2003 by an arbitrator. Rather than negotiate a contract, or go to arbitration, the Twins instead decided to release Ortiz as a cost-cutting move on December 16, after being unable to swing a trade for him.[14][15][16] In parts of six seasons totaling 455 games with the Twins, Ortiz hit 58 home runs and had 238 RBI.[17] The player who replaced Ortiz on the Twins' roster, Jose Morban, would never play in a game for the team.:suds:

I said at the time that it was stupid and that if he ever stayed healthy, he'd be a good player. I didn't expect him to be THAT good. But if a dumb 19 year old kid can see what Terry Ryan and Ron Gardenhire couldn't, they got a much longer leash than they should have beating up on bad divisions.

Ortiz likely isn't anywhere near the player that he became if he stays in Minnesota. He spent too much time playing into Tom Kelly and Ron Gardenhire's theory of opposite field hitting and contact rather than just use his raw power to clobber the baseball. He was a broken player that Boston and Francona were able to fix.