• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What IF ....

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Can Bell be converted to 1B,
He is a good athlete, but not great speed.

We have Cutch, Marte, Polanco in the OF with Tabata a good 4th OF option and good fielder. Other depth in the minors.

But Bell would be a great at 1B to get his bat in a position we really have nobody except Allie. dickerson is a good backup, or a possible good ave, gap, OBP, but no real 1B power.

unless we trade him for what we need, is he just in waiting till we have to trade cutch because we cant afford him. i think cutch might stay, and we have marte and polanco so bell goes to 1B or is traded for the catcher or 1B we might need in 2015.

who knows enough about bell.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, don't see why not. Almost anyone could be converted to firstbase and be adequate. He's not much of an outfielder anyway.

He's pretty far away though.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am more of the mind that you let the guy play the more valuable position until either he proves he can't play the position or until he forces his way into the major league line-up but his position is taken by a superior player. Bell may eventually have to move to first base, but High A is not the place to make that transition.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am more of the mind that you let the guy play the more valuable position until either he proves he can't play the position or until he forces his way into the major league line-up but his position is taken by a superior player. Bell may eventually have to move to first base, but High A is not the place to make that transition.

i would agree. but it seems as tho so many players have a hard time moving from OF to 1B when it seems rather easy with a little fielding skill.
to enhance his value for trade or in our system, learning and getting some exposure to 1B now seems a good idea with no real downside, if he really is a hitting prospect.

by the way, i saw a youtube of palancos first HR of winter ball. compared to his teammates, he looked like a monster of a specimen. not sure if they are all short little latin guys or what, but he looked huge. but then to add on he steals 40 bases with that size, he must be special.

so see bell hitting a wall and being blocked in our future OF, so give him some time at 1B so we arent wasting time in AAA doing it when he could be playing with the bucs.
if he takes to it quickly, awesome, but if it takes 1+ yrs in minors, winter, and spring ball, lets check that box now when we can kill multiple birds with one stone.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I would agree. If he gets to AAA, he is hitting, and there are no open spots in the OF, then you move him. But his bat will have to be elite to play first, or his upside is Gaby Sanchez.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, I would agree. If he gets to AAA, he is hitting, and there are no open spots in the OF, then you move him. But his bat will have to be elite to play first, or his upside is Gaby Sanchez.

Why do you say he is Gaby Sanchez unless his bat is elite? Regardless I still think he is going to be a special player. Probably not a superstar, but well above average.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he's Gaby Sanchez against lefties, except against both righties and lefties, I'm okay with it.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point if he gets to AAA and is still hitting I will be happy.

Haven't seen much of his splits is he better hitting left handed or right handed? If left handed that would be great because I can see the chance of him and Allie being in AAA platooning at 1B.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you say he is Gaby Sanchez unless his bat is elite? Regardless I still think he is going to be a special player. Probably not a superstar, but well above average.

Cause if his bat isn't elite, and he's an .800-.850 OPS guy he's a backup/platoon first basemen, just like Sanchez.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cause if his bat isn't elite, and he's an .800-.850 OPS guy he's a backup/platoon first basemen, just like Sanchez.

not sure i would use that criteria. only 3 1B in the NL had OPS over 841 this year. so only 3 starters in the whole NL

not sure that makes all the rest of the 12 teams starting backup 1B.

if it is such an easy position to get OPS, why are only 3 teams in the NL getting it.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure i would use that criteria. only 3 1B in the NL had OPS over 841 this year. so only 3 starters in the whole NL

not sure that makes all the rest of the 12 teams starting backup 1B.

if it is such an easy position to get OPS, why are only 3 teams in the NL getting it.

Fair enough, say 750-800. Either way the point still stands, if your bat isn't well above average, you're better off not playing first base.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fair enough, say 750-800. Either way the point still stands, if your bat isn't well above average, you're better off not playing first base.

But if we are still getting .900+ OPS out of center we can sacrifice a little at 1B if that player, anyone not just Bell, is the best available option. Most teams in baseball are going to have holes offensively and defensively, if your offensive hole is league average, I would contend that that really isn't a hole. That being said, I really expect Bell to take a significant step forward this year. I could see him putting up 20 HR's in Bradenton, which would be huge since I can't think if the last guy to hit 20 at that level for us. That is if he can stay healthy.

The one thing about him that I think everyone forgets is that he basically missed 2 years of baseball games. Even with that he hit respectably in West Virginia last season, I believe he finished top 5 or 10 in OPS. He hit 37 doubles and 13 HR's, if only 5 of thos doubles go for homers I don't think we even have this discussion about his bat playing at 1B.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if we are still getting .900+ OPS out of center we can sacrifice a little at 1B if that player, anyone not just Bell, is the best available option. Most teams in baseball are going to have holes offensively and defensively, if your offensive hole is league average, I would contend that that really isn't a hole. That being said, I really expect Bell to take a significant step forward this year. I could see him putting up 20 HR's in Bradenton, which would be huge since I can't think if the last guy to hit 20 at that level for us. That is if he can stay healthy.

The one thing about him that I think everyone forgets is that he basically missed 2 years of baseball games. Even with that he hit respectably in West Virginia last season, I believe he finished top 5 or 10 in OPS. He hit 37 doubles and 13 HR's, if only 5 of thos doubles go for homers I don't think we even have this discussion about his bat playing at 1B.

I can buy that line of thinking.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
lets make him versatile. he is a switch hitter, he like challenges and increasing his tool kit. he has offensive gifts, hopefully losing the 2 years doesnt sabotage him.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have been thinking about this a little bit, and there is a bigger more pressing what if. What if they give Lambo a shot this year in RF and he hits like he did all year last year? I realize that this is not likely to happen and last year was more than likely a career year for Lambo, but it also isn't out of the realm of possibility, he does have the talent level to be that guy. I am all for Polanco getting a full season at Indy, especially since my old man just moved to Terre Haute Indiana making it about a 45 minute commute instead of a 5 hour commute, but still when Polanco is ready he will be up. If this scenario plays out I can see Lambo going to first base, but then when Dickerson is ready, that position pretty much goes to him.

In reality, I think Huntington shouldntry to sell high on Lambo this offseason, put him as a second or third player in a trade to bring in some more pitching, or an upgrade at SS, 1B, or 3B.