• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What are the defensive pairings going to be?

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
First: I would like to say this analysis is all based upon the Devils unloading Rolston through the necessary draft picks and a Kovalchuk cap hit of 6.66M.

======

The Devils would be most benefited from playing a "defensive" minded dman on each line. First, it spreads out the general inability to skate the puck out of the zone that plagued Mottau, White and Skoula last season.

I also firmly believe that the "transition" game that the Devils need to improve on would be overall helped by spreading out the better skating defensemen. When Martin and Greene were on the same pairing late last season, White, Mottau, Salvador, and Skoula were liabilities while in the Devils zone because opposing fore-checkers were able to generate constant turnovers as the Devils D tried to cycle and drop the puck along the boards. It wasn't fooling anyone, especially the Flyers players.

I also believe that if Andy Greene can gain some consistency he will easily match the offensive output that everyone was hoping Martin could achieve.

======================

My speculated pairings given my initial statement.

Greene - Volchenkov

Tallinder - Salvador

White - ????? (Fraser, Salmela, Urbom, Corrente, Eckford)

** I never remember which side the individual dmen play on, but I'm pretty sure that Volchenkov, Tallinder, and White are correct.
======================

Greene - Volchenkov

This has the most potential IMO of providing a lot of offensive opportunities for the Devils as well as being equally effective defensively. Greene was the most impressive player the Devils had last season against Philly. He was the ONLY (including Paul Martin) defensemen we had that seemed able to actually skate the puck out of trouble.

Volchenkov seems like a wrecking ball, and although I'm a little worried about him getting out of position on some of his hits, Andy Greene has the wheels to get back and help him out on the occasion he needs it.

Tallinder - Salvador

This pairing has the same potential as the top pairing, but to a lesser degree. Salvador is great physically and from my limited viewing, Tallinder seems like he can skate just as well as Paul Martin, and at half the price.

White- ?????

White is solid, and if he wasn't playing against the best competition the other team had (I don't he will anymore with the addition of Volchenkov) he would probably be very effective. ILWT had a fantastic analysis of how he rates compared to other defensemen in his salary range, and he's basically getting paid a similar contract to all the other dmen in the league that fill the same role White does. I think he gets scapegoated too much because he obviously has next to no offensive ability so you only ever pay attention to him when he's making a defensive mistake.

The mystery man position will be an interesting scenario for the Devils. They have a plethora of options.

• Fraser - He's probably one of most likely options to be on the team. He had a decent season, but will mostly be remembered for the horrific turnover he committed in the playoffs.
  • Urbom - He's going to be the best player among this list eventually, but he's still developing, and given that the Devils think so highly of him, I can't see them risking his future by making the jump so early, especially with a crowded blue line. However, that same crowded blue line might help to insulate him. He needs minutes in the NHL or he should be returned. We don't want a repeat of David Hale.
  • Salmela - The flashiest player on this list with the most immediate offensive upside. He needs to play consistently and given that he didn't play major minutes on a bad team in Atlanta, I can't see him logging heavy minutes on the Devils.
  • Corrente - Given that the Devils will be extremely close to the cap, he might have a great chance to stick because the Devils obviously think he's capable of playing D and a bottom line winger in a checking role.
  • Eckford - He needs to prove he belongs on the team now or never. He's in the same position Bergfors was in last year, where he had to make it. I think that his defensive game might still hurt him.
  • Taormina - The least familiar name on the list. I'm only listing him because he lead the AHL club in defensive points last season, and MacLean spoke very highly of him during his Q&A after the coaches press conference. He's at a very cheap price too, which when the Devils need to just squeak in under the cap, might help him.

Last edited by a moderator:

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
first off kudos on writing all that.... holy shit thats one hell of analysis.

that said i can't see how the pairings would be different from what you've offered, but now it comes down to that big question, who gets the number 6 and 7 spots.

in frasers situation the devils wanted a 2 way contract for him, or at least thats what was rumored, if true, that tells me they wanted the ability to send him down. so his spot could be in jeopardy and even tho he got that 1 way deal, they may be willing to risk him on the waiver wire, especially because the system is stockpiled with d men.

corrente to me is in his last hoorah for a spot on the big club, and as young as urbom is, he provides better offensive upside (while its not all that much it is a bit more) and puck moving ability along with more size and a sound defensive game. as young as urbom is, i do think he is going to get the shot. the devils seem far more willing to play young kids now and even last year, hell it looks like the 3rd line center spot is josefsons to lose.

taormina to me is a darkhorse. i think salmela is going to get the 7 spot but if you want offensive upside ..... well the kid had what? 70 points last year? he's going to get a heavy look. just cause the fans don't know him doesn't mean that didn't catch the front offices eye.

i'm gonna go out on a slight limb tho and say with the willingness to go younger now (seemingly) i think urbom is getting the 6 slot with white.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well that sucks, i had a big response all written up to this and when i go to submit it my internet bugs out... oh well.

i'll keep it short only cause i don't feel like writing a 2nd novel in one night.

i looks keenely at 3 guys for that 6 spot.

as much as i like salmela, with him missing training camp and having trouble sticking in the group last year... well its only gotten deeper this year with tallinder and the a train in the fold

i'm giving the 6 job to urbom. i think the devils are taking a road where they are more willing to use young kids as long as they wont be logging the big minutes, and urbom is sound defensively and has more puck moving ability than anyone on the list other than taormina, whose my darkhorse given his amazing season last year.

i think fraser could be in some trouble as it was rumored they wanted a 2 way deal for him, and even tho he got a 1 way, they may not be afraid to risk losing him on the waiver wire.

i'm taking a risk and saying urbom. corrente is in his last shot IMO so he has to shine.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kaberle would look pretty nice on Pairing 2.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That he would. Our number 6 should be a stay at home guy. I'd much rather our third pairing be useless offensively than a liability defensively. I think we have the firepower up front to make up for any lack of offensive production caused by the D.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i wouldn't mind someone capable of moving the puck on the 3rd pair. i think there is a good chance by the end of this year that white could be the 6th d man.
a secured 6th man the but the 6th man none the less

if salv is gone like we suspect and corrente and urbom turn out like we hope i you'll most likely see them both over him in 2 years

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm expecting a solid year from White. Two seasons ago he really showed his worth on the penalty kill. His biggest liability is that he can't skate the puck out of trouble. This was only highlighted even more with Lemaire's constant system of cycling the puck back to your own defensive partner. However, he will move one spot down the depth chart thanks to Volchenkov, so he won't have to constantly play against the best opposition.